Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rag Week Coming!!

Options
  • 26-01-2012 8:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭

On the LYIT student union rag week lineup:

Bring your own drink to a club in town on Wednesday next week.

Its a strange move by the club that did 80c drinks last year as its bound to cause serious problems and possibly fall foul of the law.

I know the club closed and is desperate to get a night here and there but if next Wednesday gets messy they may be hell to pay.

Best part of it all, the club is now run by a local security firm which will either be very well run or make the national headlines again.

Its a good idea in some ways but one bound to get abused in this country.

Will be interesting to see what happens when the Gardai get wind, Im not sure they can do anything, though the club is selling drink also. Selling and taking in your own has never been legally done before on the same night

Patsy Brogan may have serious competition for his shabeen yet!

I think it hasn't been well thought through and the security company may be treading on dangerous ground. Last time anything like it was done was when the Grill were raided on their licence.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

will you need a student ID to get in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

I doubt it.

5 euro entry without your own drink and 10 euro with your own drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

On the LYIT student union rag week lineup:

Its a strange move by the club that did 80c drinks last year as its bound to cause serious problems and possibly fall foul of the law.

I know the club closed and is desperate to get a night here and there but if next Wednesday gets messy they may be hell to pay.

Best part of it all, the club is now run by a local security firm which will either be very well run or make the national headlines again.

Its a good idea in some ways but one bound to get abused in this country.

Will be interesting to see what happens when the Gardai get wind, Im not sure they can do anything, though the club is selling drink also. Selling and taking in your own has never been legally done before on the same night

Patsy Brogan may have serious competition for his shabeen yet!

I think it hasn't been well thought through and the security company may be treading on dangerous ground. Last time anything like it was done was when the Grill were raided on their licence.

Kinda sounds like you've got a problem with said security company?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Me thinks this isn't going to end well.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

see you there? :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cosanostra

Isn't this premises owned by the banks and ultimately us? Must really piss off other nightclubs in the town!

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭lila44

can't really see the logic behind this idea..

i mean for one thing, i don't really want to be carrying my own drink around all night long!

and also, there will be inevitable rows over "who stole my drink?" or "that's mine - you stole it!"

then again i could be wrong, it could turn out to be a fun and successful night!

only time will tell :rolleyes:

lila44 wrote: »

i mean for one thing, i don't really want to be carrying my own drink around all night long!

and also, there will be inevitable rows over "who stole my drink?" or "that's mine - you stole it!"

then again i could be wrong, it could turn out to be a fun and successful night!

That's my thinking too, plus most people will bring a bottle of vodka so when the end of the night comes you either have to down the rest of your bottle if you haven't already, leave it behind or pour it into a plastic cup so I imagine a lot of 18yr olds chugging back bottles of vodka at the door at the end of the night

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

lila44 wrote: »

cosanostra wrote: »
    That's my thinking too, plus most people will bring a bottle of vodka so when the end of the night comes you either have to down the rest of your bottle if you haven't already, leave it behind or pour it into a plastic cup so I imagine a lot of 18yr olds chugging back bottles of vodka at the door at the end of the night

You bring your own drink into the place and it goes in behind the bar where its stored, your given a unique number to you and your drink and you go up and get served it then as you want/need it! They have the same kind of idea at festivals where there are big cooler tents, you put your beer in and come and go in the camp site as you please!

Doesn't really seem like a good business plan more of a gimmick to get people in, the nightclub will still have the same running costs but will sell far less or will they make their money from selling all the unclaimed drink the following week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

No different to any other night so :P

CamalBack sales will rocket!

Camelback-Classic-70oz-Hydration-Pack-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭mistermouse

I didnt mean to infer anything on the organisers, I did think it strange that a private security company would be the ones to take on the law to get this through, they'd probably have more to lose than most.

I didnt know about the festivals, its a great idea if run well.

Asfaik the premises is in receivership, but put in receivership by Bank of Scotland, so no taxpayer banks are responsible for this or gaining from it.

Its an idea that could spread quickly if it works well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭madalig12

I'm getting my Riot Helmet out an going down Thornberry way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭yourpics

This is likely to put unnecessary pressure on Garda and HSE resources.
    No winners here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

Selling and taking in your own has never been legally done before on the same night

Is that true? I wasn't aware that byob was illegal?

Lidl are gonna have a boom sale on Rachmaninov Vodka :-)

Pique wrote: »
    Is that true? I wasn't aware that byob was illegal?

Lidl are gonna have a boom sale on Rachmaninov Vodka :-)

https://www.facebook.com/Milanniteclub

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭puffdragon

Worst idea iv'e heard in a long time!! totally brainless, and to think it came from an institute if learning of some sort, its not much wonder the Germans think we're stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

How did it? The IT has nothing to do with Milan

Got an email earlier saying its cancelled at the last minute due to 'unforeseen and uncontrollable circumstances', no idea what happened exactly so make of it what you will

Taken from FB page : Management at Milan Niteclub we would like to say sorry but due to outside objections to us running a BYOB night we will not be opening tonight as the power is out of our hands. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭yourpics

cosanostra wrote: »
    Taken from FB page : Management at Milan Niteclub we would like to say sorry but due to outside objections to us running a BYOB night we will not be opening tonight as the power is out of our hands. :(

Must be a boards.ie petition! :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement