Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's a mans world?

Options
  • 26-01-2012 8:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭

I wonder have any other women had this issue. I have come across it many times. On having to return items, complain about services I can complain with no Results and along comes my partner and once he intervenes they resolve it no problem. I can think of 2 instances over the last year alone.One example, On returning a phone to a store after after numerous repairs they wouldnt change it. Partner followed me in after me being there for half an hour says he wants it resolved today and we leave with a replacement phone, no deposit, to collect the new phone on Monday.

Now I am well able to speak up for myself so much so that I actually asked this man why he wouldn't do this for me, yet he did for my partner.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,089 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

samina wrote: »
    I wonder have any other women had this issue. I have come across it many times. On having to return items, complain about services I can complain with no Results and along comes my partner and once he intervenes they resolve it no problem. I can think of 2 instances over the last year alone.One example, On returning a phone to a store after after numerous repairs they wouldnt change it. Partner followed me in after me being there for half an hour says he wants it resolved today and we leave with a replacement phone, no deposit, to collect the new phone on Monday.

Now I am well able to speak up for myself so much so that I actually asked this man why he wouldn't do this for me, yet he did for my partner.

Has anyone else experienced this?

My wife never has this problem, and always goes for the throat should the shop-assistant not want to play ball.

In reality, I think that gender has nothing to do with not getting anywhere, and that it's purely down to assertiveness.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭phil1nj

Just out of curiousity, what was the shop assistants reply when you asked them why you didn't recevie the same level of service about your complaint?

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭samina

When I say I'm well able to speak up for myself it's a nice way of saying I go for the throat too. Assertiveness is certainly not the problem. If I'm within my rights then I'd refuse to leave the store until they resolve the issue, this would be why my partner comes looking for me on occasion.

His reply was that he was brought up by 3 women so when women talk he listens. Said it wasn't down to that at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,089 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

When I say I'm well able to speak up for myself it's a nice way of saying I go for the throat too. Assertiveness is certainly not the problem. If I'm within my rights then I'd refuse to leave the store until they resolve the issue, this would be why my partner comes looking for me on occasion.

His reply was that he was brought up by 3 women so when women talk he listens. Said it wasn't down to that at all.

Sometimes people can be too assertive, bordering on threatening, so some shop-assistants don't feel like co-operating, and are about five seconds away from giving an irate customer physical or verbal abuse.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I don't think gender has any bearing - attitude, politeness and quiet assertiveness is probably the winning combination.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

^^ I agree, but in a womens clothes shop, you know when a guy comes to the till with a shopping bag. The item will have no tags, be 3 months old and he will say 'he was sent in for a refund' !!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Perhaps the assistant took you as being aggresive and dug their heels in? Then when a third party enters it diffuses such a situation and they can "deal" with them without conceding ground to you regardless of whether that's right or wrong. Almost like accidental good cop bad cop.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

I'm a woman and never had any issue like the one you describe. I am the one who takes care of repairs, refunds, etc... my husband never had to intervene. May be it was the way you asked?

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭samina

It could be the way I ask, I'm certainly not aggressive if anything my partner would be more inclined to get frustrated at these situations.

I too handle everything in the house but I do feel that there are certain situations where he can get further than me. I wouldn't say it happens regularly but enough over the years for me to notice.

Anyhoo glad to hear I'm the only one ...... I think :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Icepick

I go for the throat too..
    Then maybe that is the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭lala88

If i worked in a shop and someone was to '' go for the throat'' to me i wouldn't give them the time of day.

Advertisement