Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Router Advice for complete novice

Options
  • 26-01-2012 9:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭

Firstly I haven't a clue about routers!!!

I recently got a Netgear media player (eva9100). It also came with a Wirelss USB Adapter. I want to be able to access my PC with movies/music on it from the media player.

So, my question is do I need to buy a Netgear router? Or would any router suffice? I've been told to get an N router as they're better! I don't want to spend too much on it so am looking for a basic solution. I have heard mixed reviews on the Netgear routers about dropped connections and signals. Can anyone recommend a TP-Link model 300Mbps model?

Another query. I don't have broadband in the house (as it's not in my area). I do have midband (02 dongle). Is there any way this can be connected to the wireless router so that other devices around the house can pick up and share the Internet signal?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Mance Rayder

AS far as I can see you have a media streaming device (server) that will work over a local area network (LAN). so you need to create a LAN, more specifically a client server network.

My advice is to get an ISR (integrated services router) with WiFi, Wireless N is a good option as it's backwards compatible with older wireless devices (G/B), It's the latest approved 802.11 ieee (Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers) Standard to be widely used. You can be sure it will work with any other 802.11 (Wireless) device.
    Any ISR can be used, best choose from a big name brand.

You can attach your other devices with an ethernet cable or via WiFI aswell. Its up to you but I recommend using Cable where possible as this is much more secure and reliable.

You can have both wired and wireless devices on your LAN.

You attach all devices, either wirelessly or via ethernet cable to your new ISR and assign ip addresses and away you go! your server will require a static ip address.

As for the dongle being used as a wireless router., Short answer - no.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭chewed

Thanks for advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

If you have Vodafone coverage, you can plug the Vodafone USB dongle into a Vodafone (Huawei) DSL wifi router model HG556a, to share/broadcast your signal. Its an 802.11n router and also accepts 2 USB HDDs/sticks to share over wifi.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 fr_ted

hi chewed,

To do what ur talking about a http://commsoft.ie/shop/4gr.php
    should sort you out. I know where you are coming from. Money is tight but a 20-50 euro router will not sort your issue.

hope this helps
    Cheers
    T

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭chewed

Thanks fr_ted. I actually bought a TP Link MR3420 on eBay. I got for less than €30 and it appears to do the trick for a basic router in house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 fr_ted

Excellent stuff chewed, thanks for the info

T

Advertisement