Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jeremiad

Options
  • 26-01-2012 10:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭

Anyone else have issue with the unsolicited bias of the current poster advertising the debate on Social Welfare scattered around UCD...? To be honest I think it's pathetic; the supposedly humorous depiction of a common Dublin stereotype does nothing for objectivity. In fact, it says more about the organisers, designers et al who consider this an appropriate image, in turn undermining the subject matter at hand and collectively exposing themselves as both vacuous and superficial.

I recall another (unrelated) poster before which bore the title 'Suck my Deck', advertising some midweek event in the city. Again, I point out the lack of political correctness within the walls of this institution. What's with the rampant sexist attitudes people? Has it got anything to do with female representation in the SU being in a minority? I fear for our future if this represents what academia ejects into society on graduation...

I also remember a certain Tucker Max being an honorary guest here not so long ago... so some knuckle-head that writes pure drivel concerning the exploitation of women is lauded by UCD for intellectual greatness? No wonder the college is up to its eyeballs in debt...

Anyway, thoughts? :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,661 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Judging by your post, their advertising has worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Fergus_Nash

JayC5 wrote: »
    Anyone else have issue with the unsolicited bias of the current poster advertising the debate on Social Welfare scattered around UCD...? To be honest I think it's pathetic; the supposedly humorous depiction of a common Dublin stereotype does nothing for objectivity. In fact, it says more about the organisers, designers et al who consider this an appropriate image, in turn undermining the subject matter at hand and collectively exposing themselves as both vacuous and superficial.

I recall another (unrelated) poster before which bore the title 'Suck my Deck', advertising some midweek event in the city. Again, I point out the lack of political correctness within the walls of this institution. What's with the rampant sexist attitudes people? Has it got anything to do with female representation in the SU being in a minority? I fear for our future if this represents what academia ejects into society on graduation...

I also remember a certain Tucker Max being an honorary guest here not so long ago... so some knuckle-head that writes pure drivel concerning the exploitation of women is lauded by UCD for intellectual greatness? No wonder the college is up to its eyeballs in debt...

Anyway, thoughts? :cool:

So go to the debate and complain. Argue your case. Its called advertisement. Michael O'Leary is the master. I bet it will get more people there than a picture of Joan Burton or some government department logo.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭JayC5

@WeeBushy: Judging by your response my post has not ;)
    So go to the debate and complain. Argue your case. Its called advertisement. Michael O'Leary is the master. I bet it will get more people there than a picture of Joan Burton or some government department logo.

My gripe does not concern the topic of the debate Fergus, it's with the unnecessary stereotypical image on the poster. Consider this, the Law Soc are organising this event, objectivity should be the cornerstone of any law-related agenda, no? Someone involved with said organising interpreted a link between claiming social welfare and a certain demographic of society; using said image as a humorous method to advertise what's a rather serious and relevant debate. In turn, I voice my discontent at blatant bias before the debate even gets underway.

Have we no Social Science students here to flex some intellectual muscle? :)

I also find it strange that over 143 people have read this post and only 3 people have proffered an opinion, however vague...

My video didn't work.

I think that you are taking things far far too seriously. Take a joke.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Pacifist Pigeon

As someone who is very critical of the state, the necessity for social welfare and nanny-state politics/policies in general, I would say there isn't enough bias against those on the social welfare.

Libertarianly yours,

PP.

(formerly KP)

AdamD wrote: »
    My video didn't work.

I think that you are taking things far far too seriously. Take a joke.

Eh.., no.

These ridiculous preconceptions that are bandied about can be damaging, incorrect and self-fulfilling in the long term. Said bias ultimately perpetuates the problem, what do you suggest - starve people out of the food chain, send them to the gas chambers? Hit me with your three point plan as it's the very same bias that will prevent them from entering the workforce to discontinue their reliance on the state.

Eh.., no.

These ridiculous preconceptions that are bandied about can be damaging, incorrect and self-fulfilling in the long term. Said bias ultimately perpetuates the problem, what do you suggest - starve people out of the food chain, send them to the gas chambers? Hit me with your three point plan as it's the very same bias that will prevent them from entering the workforce to discontinue their reliance on the state.
    Look at what you've just written, as a reaction to a poster.

I think you're over-reacting.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

I recall another (unrelated) poster before which bore the title 'Suck my Deck', advertising some midweek event in the city. Again, I point out the lack of political correctness within the walls of this institution. What's with the rampant sexist attitudes people?

How is that possibly sexist?

And on another note, its probably the best Saturday night event in Dublin. It also has zero connection to the UCDSU (To my knowledge)

ironclaw wrote: »
    How is that possibly sexist?

And on another note, its probably the best Saturday night event in Dublin. It also has zero connection to the UCDSU (To my knowledge)

Ironclaw, surely you jest..?

Let's break it down and interpret it: firstly, it's an overtly sexual statement, an order or a demand to another party to become host to a generic penis. In light of this we can assume the entity making said demand is then male, we can also state that the entity whom this treatment is requested of does not share in the physical bounty of such an act to the extent of the original party. Therefore it's fair to say that the narrator (male) is demanding sexual pleasure whilst portraying indifference to any party potentially involved (the damning evidence would suggest a female). If this was not the case then surely said statement would be worded in a manner which would exude a sensitivity to the needs of any secondary participants..?

Now you might suggest that it could be aimed at members of the same sex ie. requesting another male to indulge in said males penis. Statistics would argue that this would not be a wise method of advertisement in the environment in question and certainly does not follow the trend of all other innuendo-riddled posters one has witnessed around the campus.

So, if it's not in any way sexist in nature then why did the designer not take it from a female perspective also, requesting a fabulous bout of cunnilingus from a generic entity? Why? - I assume it's because of sexual/societal traditions that have existed since time out of mind. Probably because the male ego still basks in faux superiority, is easily flattered by subtle media prompts that pander to his delusions, with Hollywood having convinced him that he's an alpha-male, PUA, protector of the kennel type that makes women swoon with his dashing looks and gentleman's reserve - a king that deserves such unconditional hedonistic delights!! I'd also hazard a guess that said poster is in keeping with the sexual-posturing that is rampant within the average male age group that frequents UCD. Let me explain this a little more clearly: the simian behaviour that I have witnessed from a certain male subset would suggest that it would, I despair to say, be found quite witty and entertaining.

Further support to my arguement would be the following:

Lewd advertising + simian mindset = $

The purpose of advertising is revenue, therefore aim for a bountiful yet easily manipulated target audience. The poster was clearly male orientated, males usually drink more than females =$$ (I'll risk a generalisation here..) and males are more easily susceptible to sexual connotations in advertising. They also speak in bravado-riddled tongues concering (A) how much they've managed to drink... what a hero.. and (B) the copious amounts of shagging that ensued.

Now, your turn - try and convince me that it's not sexist in nature ;)

PS. The poster I refer to was in UCD (and also on flyers I think), if it was not a UCD related promotion someone must have thought highly enough of the organisers to distribute said advertising throughout the campus, which is surely bound to some form of regulation or protocol? Anyway, I'm not suggesting it breaches any, I'm just suggesting that you wake up a little or are you just being purposely obtuse for the sake of polemical discourse?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

//Post

I see someone bought you a dictionary and thesaurus for Christmas!

To summarize you took the phrase "Suck my Deck" to mean as per the above. Suck can be defined as: http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=define:suck&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

However, deck, in this instance, is referring to the instrument or machine a DJ uses to play. So that be a CDJ, Vinyl Turntable or Software. So quite literally "Suck My Deck" means "The act of sucking a CD Player / Vinyl Turntable / Laptop"

Any other connotation would be purely be the product of the persons mind. Which in your case, seems to be quite duurty indeed ;) I personally didn't make the connection you did. And I'm quite serious when I say that. Its a simple play on words that didn't ring any sexual alarms for me. To say its sexist or panders to male alpha dominance is absolutely ludicrous.

For instance, there is a huge international festival called "Sensation White" do you take that as racist?

Quite frankly, while one of the most well educated reposes I've ever read on the internet, its borderline lunacy and disillusion with a hint of chauvinistic writers flair.
    Surely You Can't Be Serious?

nielsen.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Slang_Tang

It's just student life. Students have a couple of years of thinking they know everything without the need to back it up with life experience. I mean, just look at this thread. You have people who are probably 20-something undergrads subsidised by their parents discriminating against those on social welfare.

I returned to UCD after a few years out and it's the exact same attempts at being risqué. The posters, debates, etc. are for people who think their opinions matter much more than they actually do.

We were all the same when we were in college. If they're decent people, they'll grow out of it when the real world bites them hard on the áss. So just live and let live; allow them their fun.

Slang_Tang wrote: »
    It's just student life. Students have a couple of years of thinking they know everything without the need to back it up with life experience. I mean, just look at this thread. You have people who are probably 20-something undergrads subsidised by their parents discriminating against those on social welfare.

Hey Slang, I hear ya and understand that college is a time of life where we can all be footloose and fancy free, having said that I won't tolerate unnecessary prejudice. Most people in college are 18+ and therefore considered to be adults, if they had decided not to go to college they would be out in the big bad world disseminating same skewed outlooks on minorities, perhaps even to their own children. I won't excuse it on the basis that 'it's a bit o'craic' or 'ah, it'll be grand sure..' (enter dismissive Irish phrasings ad nauseum).

To deem it acceptable to publish an image that undermines a particular social strata around campus suggests to me that it was considered inoffensive, perhaps because it was also considered that said class* of pupil would not be in attendance in UCD or would not have the ability to gain access - because of funds, intelligence or for whatever other reason. Again, what's wrong with this picture?... anyone..? Why not publish some humorous depictions of foreign students or Muslims, kids with disabilities or let's play the agist card and mock the septuagenarians while we're at it. In fact, lets do a 25th Hour style rant and attack everyone, including the upper-class silver-spooned toffs with their chorus of "loike, and I'm loike, ya know loike..". Let's tear it all down and dance in the rubble, all the while smiling.

(*denotes sarcasm)

ironclaw wrote: »
    I see someone bought you a dictionary and thesaurus for Christmas!

To summarize you took the phrase "Suck my Deck" to mean as per the above. Suck can be defined as: http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=define:suck&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

However, deck, in this instance, is referring to the instrument or machine a DJ uses to play. So that be a CDJ, Vinyl Turntable or Software. So quite literally "Suck My Deck" means "The act of sucking a CD Player / Vinyl Turntable / Laptop"

@ironclaw:

Oh my... ironclaw, surely you can't be serious? 'Suck my deck' does not conjure up anything in your mind that's remotely reminiscent of any other term? To what purpose would I want to 'suck' on someone's vinyl or CD player pray tell? - you've lost me boy, is this some form of new-fangled hipster terminology that I'm ostracised from by DOB?

First, we have alliteration -capiche? The phonetics are very, very similar to each other. Not to mention that SMD is a term that we've all heard over and over again throughout the years from the mouths of childish babes in schoolyards to afro-american-centric gangsta flicks from the '80s. Are you really that naieve? - the big bad world gonna eat you up boy ;)

Secondly, 'Sensation White' sounds like a brand of toothpaste to be honest, perhaps even a washing powder advertisement such as the 'Daz doorstep challenge' - that's a weak arguement you got there son...

Suffice to say at this juncture that the 'suck my deck' poster is/was a thinly veiled and crude attempt at sexual humour. It's trajectory, the dark recesses where simian shadows twitch and furl in the nether-regions of the male mind. Ultimately however, it works - and the crux of my arguement lies therein.

Go to the bloody debate then if the poster offends you and argue your point after the speakers have had their say when the debate is opened to the floor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

A guy can 'Suck a Deck' also, it isn't restricted to girls. I suppose that's how it isn't sexist.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Firstly, it is.not technically alliteration. It is a play on words though which while it proposes a sexual connotation, it is merely aimed at fans of a certain style of.music. Read some Shakespeare if you want some really lewd puns.

Secondly, you appear to have suggested that.people who don't or have not gone to college have skewed outlooks and are discriminating others?

I must ask the many people I know who have gone to college if they are indeed.xenophobic or otherwise.

@RandolphESQ:
    A guy can 'Suck a Deck' also, it isn't restricted to girls. I suppose that's how it isn't sexist.

See post #11 paragraphs 1-3.

@Weepsie:
    Weepsie wrote: »
    Firstly, it is.not technically alliteration.

Ok, for arguements sake we'll say it consecutively imitates the same consonants then...
    Weepsie wrote: »
    Secondly, you appear to have suggested that.people who don't or have not gone to college have skewed outlooks and are discriminating others?

I'm not sure where you interpreted the above from however..?

@RandolphESQ:

See post #11 paragraphs 1-3.

@Weepsie:

Ok, for arguements sake we'll say it consecutively imitates the same consonants then...

I'm not sure where you interpreted the above from however..?

Did you go to the debate then and voice your concerns and objection to the poster?

If it bothers you this much, you have problems.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Most people in college are 18+ and therefore considered to be adults, if they had decided not to go to college they would be out in the big bad world disseminating same skewed outlooks on minorities, perhaps even to their own children. I won't excuse it on the basis that 'it's a bit o'craic' or 'ah, it'll be grand sure..' (enter dismissive Irish phrasings ad nauseum).

It is perhaps just awkward phrasing but the impression I got last night came from there

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Also, there's nothing wrong with sexual advertising in our society where the vast majority of both men and women would have sex at least once a day if they could.

Advertisement