Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

turning right onto patricks street

Options
  • 26-01-2012 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭

can someone tell me am i doing wrong?

i travel over the bridge turn left onto lavitts quay and at traffic lights i turn right to go down patricks street

the traffic lights indicate to go left or straight on but there is no sign to say no right turn.

i always feel like im doing wrong and yesterday someone beeped at me (strangley the fella from behind, wasnt even holding him up)

my sat nav tells me to take that route too.

anyuone can help?

jonny

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Jambo221

I know exactly what you're talking about, I don't see any problem with it if your way is clear. You might hold up traffic for a bit when it's busy, but it'll still be the quickest way around.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

I think it's buses only, I may be wrong, will check the next time I go that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

i travel over the bridge turn left onto lavitts quay and at traffic lights i turn right to go down patricks street

the traffic lights indicate to go left or straight on but there is no sign to say no right turn.

i always feel like im doing wrong and yesterday someone beeped at me (strangley the fella from behind, wasnt even holding him up)

anyuone can help?

jonny

I think that right turn might be exclusively for buses.

the traffic lights indicate to go left or straight on but there is no sign to say no right turn. .....................

You are doing wrong, the light for straight on is an arrow, so too the light for left, there is no right turn. Folks coming from Merchants Quay and turning left on to PAtrick Street either have a red light or a green arrow to go left, for you to turn right means waiting for a gap in the traffic coming from Merchants Quay, to wait for this gap prevents the traffic behind you going straight so it backs up that Quay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭cml387

RoverJames wrote: »
    You are doing wrong, the light for straight on is an arrow, so too the light for left, there is no right turn. Folks coming from Merchants Quay and turning left on to PAtrick Street either have a red light or a green arrow to go left, for you to turn right means waiting for a gap in the traffic coming from Merchants Quay, to wait for this gap prevents the traffic behind you going straight so it backs up that Quay.

^^^This.

The arrow is there for a reason. Green means you may proceed in the direction of the arrow only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

As mentioned twice, busses ONLY. Not even Taxiis allowed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭rcdk1

Orobhsa wrote: »
    Google maps shows a No Right turn.
    Street View also shows road markings for left & straight only.

Penalty points and fines that might apply to that manoeuvre.
    Failure to obey traffic lights: 2 points & €80 fine.
    Failure to obey requirements at junctions: 1 point & €60 fine.
    Failure to comply with mandatory traffic signs at junctions: 1 point & €60 fine.
    Failure to comply with prohibitory traffic signs: 1 point & €60 fine.
    Failure to comply with traffic lane markings: 1 point & €60 fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Even Google Maps knows there is no right turn there when giving directions:

http://g.co/maps/52y8j

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭out da lough

anyuone can help?

jonny

You are holding people up. You are breaking the law and the fact that you posted here would indicate (heh heh, I said "indicate") that you know you are breaking the law.

Don't do it again.

;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭arrianalexander

Ludo wrote: »

Cheers for help never rely on Sat nav s

Yep sure can't. Try searching for directions from rochestown road to skehard road on google. It sends you along the pedestrian path to Blackrock... I've reported that before and they said they fixed it but never did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Don't do it again. ;)

Today I saw a delivery van turning right down Pana ~ believe it or not, as BUS coming from Merchant's Quay stopped to let him pass ~ now in fairness, a BUS of all things should know the road and should not have stopped for him.

But the silver lining is I was not held up, so in the same breadth, fair dooos to the bus driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭arrianalexander

ya just put it into google maps ..my route that is and sends me a different way, was this ever a right turn or has tomtom just got completely wrong all along rather then my maps been out of date...saying that the sat nav is 1 year old maybe and i updated the maps the minute i bought it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

Going down Half Moon St & Academy St might be easier :)

Actually with traffic on Lavitt's Quay, it's probably faster that way anyway & legal! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

I saw a plonker on tuesday driving against traffic on the bus lane in camden quay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

Last time I'd breakfast in Cafe Kylemore I sat at the window looking onto that junction
    I got to see a lady pulled over by Traffic Corps for making an illegal right turn

Such a dangerous place to make an illegal turn, cutting across three lanes of traffic,
    If you can't see them, they can't see you, which is very possible with the inside lane turning left

I'd a very close call with the black jeep owned by Carey's Tool Hire on Alberts Quay
    another spot where people chance making an illegal right hand turn

last thing you ever expect is someone to suddenly cut across from a blind spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,284 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I got to see a lady pulled over by Traffic Corps for making an illegal right turn.............

.....I'd a very close call with the black jeep owned by Carey's Tool Hire on Alberts Quay
    another spot where people chance making an illegal right hand turn

Funnily enough I've seen a garda car make that illegal right turn once by Albert Quay - one rule for the guards I guess and another for the rest of us:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

leahyl wrote: »
    Funnily enough I've seen a garda car make that illegal right turn once by Albert Quay - one rule for the guards I guess and another for the rest of us:rolleyes:

Here's a mad notion. Maybe the Gardai were attending an emergency?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

let's not get into a debate on Garda driving please. nothing good can come of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,284 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Here's a mad notion. Maybe the Gardai were attending an emergency?

Didn't look like it from what I could see - no sirens and didnt seem to be in a particular rush.

@ Deranged - apologies but it gets up my goat when they are the ones inforcing these laws but then they break them themselves.

I'll shut up now:)

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭out da lough

I heard they had a special offer on satnavs over in Halfords in Mahon Point but I got lost on the way there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

Jambo221 wrote: »
    I know exactly what you're talking about, I don't see any problem with it if your way is clear. You might hold up traffic for a bit when it's busy, but it'll still be the quickest way around.

Its still buses only so if he get caught he can be fined.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Yep sure can't. Try searching for directions from rochestown road to skehard road on google. It sends you along the pedestrian path to Blackrock... I've reported that before and they said they fixed it but never did.

That was a TeleAtlas error - I reported it when I had my first satnav and got a message 4 years later telling me that it had been fixed.

http://mapinsight.teleatlas.com/mapfeedback/ReportStatus/a0620842-4ed4-102a-bb61-20a8eeafa017/en

Nokia Maps used route traffic over the footbridge across the South Link.

Yep. Same here. Reported it to teleatlas and got a reply years later saying it is fixed. No it wasn't. Still wrong on the teleatlas website.

Advertisement