Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Avoid the Bridge

Options
  • 26-01-2012 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭

For fcuks sake they are at it again on the quincentenary bridge, bollards blocking one lane on ALL approaches to the traffic lights at the Newcastle end with guys holding stop and go signs, traffic is already blocked up.

I thought this was finished :mad::mad::mad:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

What are they doing?
    I can see the Bridge but not the Newcastle junction; motor traffic is flowing freely.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

Storm 10 wrote: »
    For fcuks sake they are at it again on the quincentenary bridge, bollards blocking one lane on ALL approaches to the traffic lights at the Newcastle end with guys holding stop and go signs, traffic is already blocked up.

I thought this was finished :mad::mad::mad:

Certainly the road markings were never finished - there were supposed to be so called "hook turn" boxes marked for cyclists turning right. There is also a possible dispute over the positioning of the stop lines relative to the traffic lights/ped crossing areas. The current markings being arguably deficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Just an update drove through about ten minutes ago and they look to be gone, they had the lights turned off as well maybe some tinkering with them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 27 joethatoom

Really?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

joethatoom wrote: »
    Really?

The OP was giving us some info on roadwaorks, why that smart ass reply, there is always one

• Advertisement

It was a general experssion of shock.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

There were works on the cycle path recently for a period of circa 3 days..and the whole bike path westbound from the newcastle junction was closed off completely. Not restricted, you understand, but completey obstructed.
    I should've started a thread.

Aerohead wrote: »
    The OP was giving us some info on roadwaorks, why that smart ass reply, there is always one
    I find your comment to be really offensive. There was no need to reply to my perceived 'Smart Ass' comment in a 'Smart Ass fashion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭f1dan

Certainly the road markings were never finished - there were supposed to be so called "hook turn" boxes marked for cyclists turning right. There is also a possible dispute over the positioning of the stop lines relative to the traffic lights/ped crossing areas. The current markings being arguably deficient.

Right turns aren't allowed at that junction so "hook turn" boxes wouldn't be the issue. There should be advanced stop markings for cyclists though ahead of the pedestrian crossings though.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ciotog

f1dan wrote: »
    Right turns aren't allowed at that junction so "hook turn" boxes wouldn't be the issue. There should be advanced stop markings for cyclists though ahead of the pedestrian crossings though.
    Actually the hook turn boxes are an issue, they were supposed to be marked to allow a cyclist coming off the bridge to turn right onto Newcastle Road. I queried this (along with the position of stop lines on the cycle lane and carriageway) with the engineer who produced the designs for the works at this junction. The hook turn boxes simply hadn't been painted on previously but were part of the design.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭f1dan

ciotog wrote: »
    Actually the hook turn boxes are an issue, they were supposed to be marked to allow a cyclist coming off the bridge to turn right onto Newcastle Road. I queried this (along with the position of stop lines on the cycle lane and carriageway) with the engineer who produced the designs for the works at this junction. The hook turn boxes simply hadn't been painted on previously but were part of the design.

Ok, I take it that right turns by cyclists would only be allowed during the pedestrian phase of the lights then? Would be mayhem otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ciotog

f1dan wrote: »
    Ok, I take it that right turns by cyclists would only be allowed during the pedestrian phase of the lights then? Would be mayhem otherwise.
    I probably should've made the procedure clearer. It's a two stage right turn. The way it works is:
    - Cyclist coming off the bridge proceeds with a green light as if they were to go straight ahead.
    - While crossing over the road they would move to their left, leaving the cycle lane, and position themselves in the hook turn box i.e. they are now ahead of traffic (in the space between the pedestrian crossing and the cycle lane going across) on the filling station side of Newcastle Road .
    - When the lights turn green for traffic on the Newcastle Road the cyclist is ahead of the traffic and now continues straight on up the Newcastle Road towards the university.

I do this in the morning when I cycle and it works well. You have to be careful that you don't move left too early (as if you were turning down the Newcastle Road) as there's a fear you may have a following motor vehicle on your right and would then be cutting across them to get into position.

Advertisement