Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling monkeys??

• 26-01-2012 12:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭

Do you need a permit to sell monkeys in this country??

Was watching a programme last night on BBC2 about the sale of exotic pets in indonesia and in particular monkeys..it was stomach churning, to see these poor things cramed on top of each other in atrocious conditions and the local police doing nothing about it.

So i was just wondering what are the rules and regulations here in relation to exotic pets? are there any??

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

I saw that programme as well, was really upsetting. Dont know how she managed to walk out of there without buying all the slow lorises.

In regards to selling monkeys here, I',m not sure about needing a permit, but I doubt it. There's a petshop local enough to me that was selling monkeys last year, and a snowy owl, not to mention puppies in the past. Suffice to say I've been banned from the shop for arguing and haven't been in in a while so dont know what they might have in there now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭antocann

ireland doesnt have many laws regarding animals , u need a license for a dog , and permit for livestock , thats about it ,

you can keep any animal as long as you have the cash to buy it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 216 ✭✭REPTILEDAN88

Yeah and the usual cites papers etc. we are very behind most countries with regards animal welfare/law sadly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,747 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

People should realise that in many cases for every exotic pet that makes it into a pet shop - up to 10 die(often in appalling conditions) in transit or during capture in the wild. That is particularly true for monkeys, reptiles and parrots with many species now classed endangered in the wild thanx to these type of activities:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭antocann

Birdnuts wrote: »
    People should realise that in many cases for every exotic pet that makes it into a pet shop - up to 10 die(often in appalling conditions) in transit or during capture in the wild. That is particularly true for monkeys, reptiles and parrots with many species now classed endangered in the wild thanx to these type of activities:(

nearly all exotics sold in ireland are CB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

antocann wrote: »
    nearly all exotics sold in ireland are CB

CB :confused: whats that?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

fryup wrote: »
    CB :confused: whats that?

Captive bred

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Anybody else read the thread title as "frying Monkeys" ?

Advertisement