Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bit early?

Options
  • 26-01-2012 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭

I'm a bit ignorant when it comes to gardening but I try to keep things looking well.

Just noticed the daffs I have along the border of my front lawn are making their annual appearance.... In January!?

Is this right? I laid a bit of compost with the bulbs last autumn. Has this kicked them into springing up early?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

The unseasonably mild weather is confusing plants and animals all over the country. I have daffs and tulips coming up, and there are hollyhocks in my area in flower. Apparently birds are starting to court too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i recently saw a hosta coming up...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

We had frost in May of last year and the month of May,June/early July was cold compared to normal.

This cold spell more or less ruined the pumpkin crop in Ireland.

Rubarb production in the UK is ruined at the moment too,as the Rubarb needs cold and frost to mature/thrive.

I wouldnt be a bit surprised though,if we get a very cold Febuary or March this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭emer_b

I have tulips that made an appearance at the end of november and have been growing very slowly since. Daffodils are 3 or 4 inches above the ground already. Very weird weather indeed!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

paddy147 wrote: »
    We had frost in May of last year and the month of May,June/early July was cold compared to normal.

This cold spell more or less ruined the pumpkin crop in Ireland.

Rubarb production in the UK is ruined at the moment too,as the Rubarb needs cold and frost to mature/thrive.

I wouldnt be a bit surprised though,if we get a very cold Febuary or March this year.

Interesting what you say about the Rhubarb. Mine was coming on great (albeit too well for this time of year) but noticed just this week that some leaves started wilting badly. Thought it had a desease or something. Maybe it's like you say. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 sonofsteptoe

I have a border of dafs that started flowering 2 weeks ago! MAD. Tulips are 6" high at the moment not flowering yet though

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

i have seen daffodils poking out of the ground in the last few days, i have also heard that the exceptionally mild weather is confusing the animals. i personally witnessed a squirrel climbing up a tree the other day as i drove past on my way to work, and just to be sure it was a squirrel he ran across the road in front of me when i was on my way home a few hours later. i thought that were supposed to be hibernating this time of year:confused:.

Advertisement