Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Non dating, meet new people, get out and socialize

• 26-01-2012 12:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭

This is following on from the online dating thread division into non dating socializing.
    For people who have (as I have) made a new years resolution to get out of whatever rut they are stuck in and get out and meet new people, of either sex.

First off, the meetup site, is excellent for this purpose.

For those in and around Dublin, this meetup.com group is a large, but very friendly group. Who do both pub and non pub meetups, weekly.

Does anyone have any other groups they know of?

How about a more regular boards meet? instead of the yearly/6 monthly boards beers

I know people can be nervous going alone to meet a new group, I discovered I can do this, no problems (which I would have thought, does not match my basically shy personality type, but there you go :)) So pm me, being a friendly, helpful sorta chap, if I'm available, I can go along as moral support :D
    Which will also match in nicely with my new years resolution to meet new people :)

Edit, or just post here, I'm sure there are plenty of weirdos nice people willing to pop along or they may already be a member

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

We had something up here a while ago along the lines of this that died a death. :(

Older thread by Otis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Haven't been following this thread as much recently. Anyone been on any dates? Any lined up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Wrong thread Samich!!

I was thinking it may be good to have a non-beers meetup sometime as I do remember some posters say they don't drink alcohol.

I'd be up for bowling or frisbee in the park sometime. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭smallBiscuit

Larianne wrote: »
    Wrong thread Samich!!

I was thinking it may be good to have a non-beers meetup sometime as I do remember some posters say they don't drink alcohol.

I'm amazing at bowling, I can play a game starting with 3 or 4 gutter shots, followed by a bunch of strikes, followed by guttering every other shot :D

I'm better on the wii :/

Frisbee, I've never done

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Kev.OC

Frisbee, I've never done

:eek:

How in the name of God have you managed to never throw a frisbee around!?

• Advertisement

Kev.OC wrote: »
    Frisbee, I've never done

:eek:

How in the name of God have you managed to never throw a frisbee around!?
    I lived for the past 30 years in a small pit under my parents house, with only rats for company.
    When ratacus died, I decided I've had enough and escaped and saw my first daylight. It being ireland, it was raining. I cried that day at the beauty of it :)

Of course rats are no good at frisbee, being to small, so I never played it, the pit was to small anyway :)

Actually, I'm kidding, I probably played as a kid, and have played with mine, but games with kids are not proper games. You throw, softy right to their feet, they their wildly, to anywhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

Bump!

Brilliant idea! Last year a boardsie(Budgese) organised Rathmines beers and the numbers were good... Met up every other Thursday, and some of the group go shooting on Sundays...

I've made loads of friends through boards and I'm definitely open to making more :D

Anyone fancy watching a movie tomorrow evening? J E Edgar/The Grey in cineworld, Parnell St :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

I would be up for going to The Grey tonight. Liam Neeson strapping glass bottles to his fists to punch wolves... come on people what more do you need!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Maguined wrote: »
    I would be up for going to The Grey tonight. Liam Neeson strapping glass bottles to his fists to punch wolves... come on people what more do you need!

What I'll need are a very particular set of skills; skills I would need to have acquired over a very long career....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Cant do cinema this evening but am free for the rest of the week.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

A non-beers meetup sounds interesting. Anything that doesn't necessitate the use of public transportation is always a good thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Don't drink alcohol? I'm confused. You mean there are other liquids? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

Bowling!!!!! :D

Hmm... if there is gonna be a meetup organised for heading to cineworld, might be better to do it on Tuesdays. They do an offer for cheaper tickets at €6.70 (for those who don't have the cineworld card :cool:).

Hmmm... when it comes to bowling, would really be down to where is accessible really.

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Don't drink alcohol? I'm confused. You mean there are other liquids? :eek:
    Aye, donkey piss, some people call it alcopops :D
    Hmm... if there is gonna be a meetup organised for heading to cineworld, might be better to do it on Tuesdays. They do an offer for cheaper tickets at €6.70 (for those who don't have the cineworld card :cool:).

Hmmm... when it comes to bowling, would really be down to where is accessible really.

I'd definitely be out for a cinema or bowling outing. But not this side of March, I got paid 3 days ago, I'm skint until the end of Feb :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

I'm bored! :/ Have loadsa' things to do but am still bored ..... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

I only log on @ night so I just saw this...

I saw JE Edgar - interesting film, not too sure about tomorrow as I've got dinner plans. But I'd love to see Grey so I'll post back as soon as I get confirmation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

how-not-to-get-your-iphone-stolen-liam-neeson-taken.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Bowling would be a great idea, I'd be up for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Good idea, although I generally don't drink and have gone to a few beers, that sounds more like an excuse not to go.

I'd love to go to the Bodies exhibition in town when it opens, not sure how many others would be interested though?

• Advertisement

I think bowling is a great idea as an activity but a bad idea for organisation as there is nowhere city centre that does it and it's hard enough arranging a suitable time for most people for the city centre so I would imagine it would be harder arranging for a ton of people to go somewhere in the suburbs.

*may be influenced by my hatred of bowling due to my ineptness, damn you tiny carny hands!

I think bowling is a great idea as an activity but a bad idea for organisation as there is nowhere city centre that does it and it's hard enough arranging a suitable time for most people for the city centre so I would imagine it would be harder arranging for a ton of people to go somewhere in the suburbs.

*may be influenced by my hatred of bowling due to my ineptness, damn you tiny carny hands!

Ah Coolock or Stillorgan ain't that far away on a bus. 20minutes max both!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

The bowling would be fun though I think it would be more suited to a Saturday or Sunday afternoon rather than an evening/night what with people working in college etc.

After bowling we can go to McDonalds, if we call them before hand they'll put up balloons and everything!!! :pac::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

If it's Coolock, i might come along if i'm not doing anything for the craic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭puzzle factory

why the hell do e all live in dublin,any kerry people wanna meet up and do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Viral Vector

Gillo wrote: »
    Good idea, although I generally don't drink and have gone to a few beers, that sounds more like an excuse not to go.

I'd love to go to the Bodies exhibition in town when it opens, not sure how many others would be interested though?

Ah go...it's amazing!

Also the Grey is hilarious! I thought Liam Neeson's character was American until one of the guys called him an "Irish prick" and then his accent degenerated into some Northern accent! :P

Last time I went to Stillorgan to bowl a large bouncer frisked me in an overly friendly manner, I told him I though I was the one that wanted to hold some balls tonight, he was not amused.

Maybe you are right though and plenty of people will come, I can't promise I won't get distracted by the pretty lights of Quasar and ditch you all though.

pew pew pew.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

They have Quasar down there?

I used to always be Top Gun when we played that as a kid. Love it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Anyone around the south east interested in something similar ?

Anyone see the boards deals for the half day adventure pack and the roller disco?

Would anyone be on for either or both?

I really want to go on one of those assault type courses!

Haven't seen it no, but I'd be up for giving stuff a go. Got a link?

Did some say Rollerdisco??? :eek: :pac: :D

Legwarmers a go go!

• Advertisement

Jesus, talking about a roller disco in this forum of all places! Maybe we could all go get our hair done before hand!

Jesus, talking about a roller disco in this forum of all places! Maybe we could all go get our hair done before hand!

Ah its something I say in many a fora.

But ya can go get a perm if you wish! :pac:

Ah its something I say in many a fora.

But ya can go get a perm if you wish! :pac:
    Well that all depends on how pretty it'll make me look.

The adventure one ends tonight and there hasn't been much feedback :/

• Advertisement

Misticles wrote: »
    The adventure one ends tonight and there hasn't been much feedback :/

Sorry ended up offline last night (interweb problems)

Can we get takers on the Roller Disco one?

Note: I've never gone on roller skates in my life, my one attempt at ice skating was pathetic. Come, if for no no other reason than to laugh at me, who can neither skate, nor dance :D

Advertisement