Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could I please have 10 minutes of your time for a very important project?

Options
  • 26-01-2012 1:25pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hello all,

MY friend Noirin is currently studying as a post grad in UCC's School of Applied Psychology and her chosen subject is one that's close to all our hearts - Immersion in Gaming.

As a part of the study, she's got a survey that takes about 10 minutes to fill out based on your experiences of a game (any game on any platform will do). The survey can be found here.

I've asked the mods if they'd mind me posting this on her behalf as she said she'll buy me a pint for helping her and I'll be in Cork this weekend for Warpcon so she can settle the debt there :)

I'm always interested in seeing actual science being conducted on games rather than wild and uninformed accusations being made to get publicity and I think as gamers we should support anyone who's trying to get actual facts about the impact of games on the mind.

Thank you to the mods for allowing this and thank you to any and all of you who took the time to read and fill the survey out.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

In work till tonight, but I'll give it a lash then.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭DirtyBollox

As it recommends at least 30 minutes of game play before participating i will do this later this evening when i get home from work.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Will do this later as well.

Done and done.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Will do it now!

*Loads up Age of Empires 2 woooo

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

I'll get it done tonight also.

/subscribes to thread to help memory

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Are multiple entries allowable after playing different games?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭DirtyBollox

DOC09UNAM wrote: »

There is a section at the start that asks for a nickname so you can submit other entries for different games.

thats what i got from it anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

There is a section at the start that asks for a nickname so you can submit other entries for different games.

thats what i got from it anyway
    Cheers, wouldn't mind doing one for minecraft/mw3/fifa12

Good bit of variety so results should be varying.

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭JBnaglfar

Subbed to the thread and will do this survey later.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

Will fill it out now.

Edit: I mean I'll fill it out in 30 mins after I play summat :P

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Done!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Done and sent to the wife :P

• Registered Users Posts: 29,847 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Done, best of luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭aperture_nuig

Done, would love to hear what becomes of this!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Done,
    However I should note that I feel I let her down by choosing Battlefield 3 as the game to play.
    I think my responses in regard to Battlefield 3 or MW3 , judging by the questions, are not the games that are needed.

I will therefore retake the survey, under a different name, as asked, but playing a more immersive / story drive game this time.

You should probably mention it in your original post, to avoid overkill on BF3/MW3

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

done!

i played dead space like a boss! turned lights off a,d just the screen in front of me.

misses managed to get inside room without a sound and came from behind and putted a cup of tea in front of me... i almost pissed myself ffs... unfortunately there are no option: " did you pissed yourself while playing your game? answer: slightly agree".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Done. Zelda 3? Perfect for some psycho-analyzing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭n0irin

Thank you so much to everybody who has done it or anybody who is planning on completing it still, I appreciate it so much. And thanks again, Dav, for posting that for me - don't worry I'll get you that pint at the weekend! :D

Absolutely - the more, the merrier. I'll love you forever if you do it once, but I'll love you doubly forever if you do it more than once! (If only I had thought of implementing some kind of achievements system...ah well, maybe for v2!)

I'm trying to get a good spread of games, and I seem to be getting quite a good mixture so far, but would be really grateful if you felt like doing it more than once.
    Enderman wrote: »
    Will do it now!

*Loads up Age of Empires 2 woooo

It's a pretty good excuse to play a game too, I think :) Thanks!
    Done, would love to hear what becomes of this!

If I manage to get anything published from it, or once I write it up, I'll happily post some of the results up here, if you're interested.
    SeantheMan wrote: »
    Done,
    However I should note that I feel I let her down by choosing Battlefield 3 as the game to play.
    I think my responses in regard to Battlefield 3 or MW3 , judging by the questions, are not the games that are needed.

I will therefore retake the survey, under a different name, as asked, but playing a more immersive / story drive game this time.

You should probably mention it in your original post, to avoid overkill on BF3/MW3

Aw, don't worry, you didn't let me down at all! This is the first version of the questionnaire (although it has come from a few other stages of data collection) and it still needs to be refined. All of the questions came from the actual language of gamers as they spoke about their experiences of gaming, but I think that a lot of the "immersive experiences" they were talking about leaned towards being RPG based, so some of the questions will lean that way - I need a good mix of games to try to figure out which items need to stay and which need to go/be altered. So MW3 or BF3 are still perfect. Is there anything about the type of immersion in that type of game that you think I missed out on in my questions, or something I should add? Thanks so much for helping me out!
    done!

i played dead space like a boss! turned lights off a,d just the screen in front of me.

misses managed to get inside room without a sound and came from behind and putted a cup of tea in front of me... i almost pissed myself ffs... unfortunately there are no option: " did you pissed yourself while playing your game? answer: slightly agree".

Haha, maybe I should put that in my next version. I think I'd almost accidentally punch someone if they "snuck" up on me while playing a game like Dead Space in the dark! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Done and dustedededed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

done

but not really sure mario 3d is what the person had in mind

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Helix wrote: »
    done

but not really sure mario 3d is what the person had in mind

I can understand that. Worse still, I was playing Mortal Kombat.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭ElBarco

<quote>The possibility of victory or defeat felt like the difference between life and death.</quote>

Done. However, questions like the one I've quoted make me question exactly what spin is intended. Call me cynical but whenever I see a survey like this I have horrible visions of a daily mail headline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

ElBarco wrote: »

Done. However, questions like the one I've quoted make me question exactly what spin is intended. Call me cynical but whenever I see a survey like this I have horrible visions of a daily mail headline.

that's exactly what it seemed like to me too

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Done & Done. I played Portal 2. I hope it gets recognised as a form of education and taught in schools :)

Mario 3D and Mortal Kombat are totally fine! Seriously, any computer based game is fine for this, I don't have any particular type of game in mind, all of the statements come from gamers talking about their experiences of immersion, so perhaps there are just more statements that I need to add to cover games that weren't talked about - was there any type of immersion that you experienced in those games that I didn't cover in the questionnaire?
    ElBarco wrote: »
    <quote>The possibility of victory or defeat felt like the difference between life and death.</quote>

Honestly and truly, all of the questions have been taken from my past two studies which have got people to talk about their experience of immersion in gaming - so all of them come from the language of gamers talking about their actual experiences and for a statement to make it into this stage of the questionnaire, it was definitely said by more than one person.

There's no spin intended apart from trying to develop a questionnaire using CTT which will accurately measure how immersed somebody was in the preceding game session (as part of my PhD in psychology). I assure you, my intent is not to mislead anybody or come up with some scare-tactic headline, I hate those as much as any gamer does. I've even written a journal article which tries to refute a lot of the stereotypes about gamers (focussing on Role-playing gamers in that case), including that gamers are more likely to be involved in violence or crime: http://www.marinkacopier.nl/ijrp/wp-content/issue2/IJRPissue2-Article4.pdf

Also, it's entirely possible in the next version of the questionnaire that certain items may have to be removed or altered (or added to if necessary), so perhaps that will be one of them if nobody is agreeing with it.

Thanks for filling it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,804 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Done yesterday and today. Portal 2 and Uncharted 3
    jaykhunter wrote: »
    Done & Done. I played Portal 2. I hope it gets recognised as a form of education and taught in schools :)

You could actually learn a lot about momentum and physics.... and combustible lemons

Penn wrote: »
    Done yesterday and today. Portal 2 and Uncharted 3

You could actually learn a lot about momentum and physics.... and combustible lemons

All very important lessons for everyday life!

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Buzzthebatgirl

Filled in, hope it helps :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Think this is an excuse to re-install the original splinter cell, yes, yes it is :D

Advertisement