Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not Sleeping much ...

Options
  • 26-01-2012 1:36pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Our little man is not sleeping much - he is 9 weeks old now and maybe sleeps 7-8 hours a day, he takes short 30-40 min naps during the day and wakes hourly at night for his feeds.

We are a bit worried to be honest , I heard babies this age should be sleeping 15 hours a day or more.

Can this affect his brain development ?

Its not that he can't sleep and is crying - when he's awake he's alert and looking around ,
    so is this something to be worried about ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭chirogirl

My Baby girl is 5 months old, and since she was born she wasn't one for sleeping much especially during the day. She has motion naps (pram and car) but no naps in her cot during the day, though I've tried. She does however, sleep well at night and to be honest I'd rather this than her being asleep all day and awake during the night.

Your little one is still young and all babies are different and will develp their own sleep pattern in time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

None of my kids were great sleepers. My first was particularly bad- he didn't sleep for more than two hours together til he was ten months and fully weaned! With him I really stressed out about it, especially over all those charts that say how much a baby 'should' be sleeping, and, you know, he didn't really get 'enough' sleep for his age, but he (and we) survived and he's an extremely bright, happy boy and it did him no harm. With the other babies I was more relaxed...its a question of not wasting your precious precious energy worrying about it. Penelope Leach's 'Baby and Child' has some very sensible words of comfort that I found helpful (the whole thing is well worth a look).

Best of luck OP, you are in the trenches now but 'this too will pass', all too quickly, and when you look back on this time all you will remember is the magical moments with your baby

Advertisement