Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An open letter from Boards.ie to Minister Sean Sherlock

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭PJTierney

Willie O' Dea's on our side it seems (no printed script either :))

Ah, somebody used the Toll Roads analogy! :cool:

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Not really fair to claim the ISPs want piracy to prevail or that it does their bottom line better. I'm not sure but I'd say OscarBravo as someone that runs one could confirm, ISP's would much prefer if you had the internet for social networking, email and some light downloads rather than bandwidth hogging piracy.
    Correct. That's one of a number of issues I had with Charleton J.'s judgement: he operated on the apparent assumption that every act of piracy was in some way profitable for UPC, as if the downloaders were paying their ISP by the torrent. This ignores the fact that we have to pay for our upstream bandwidth, and the more torrenting that goes on, the more bandwidth we have to pay for to keep the pipes flowing.

It might be different for those ISPs who are happy to cash in on per-usage charges, but not all of us operate on that basis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Arfan

There's a lot of reading from e-mails going on ;). Not that that's a bad thing. No need to write a speech if someone's taken the trouble to do it for you. Also the ideal situation for an ISP is where everyone buys 1 terabyte pipe and then checks their email once a month. Ah, for a perfect world.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Arfan wrote: »
    There's a lot of reading from e-mails going on ;). Not that that's a bad thing. No need to write a speech if someone's taken the trouble to do it for you.

Certainly, but I feel that the amount of misinformation, not only on Sean Sherlock's side, is stemming from such emails

• Advertisement

This is bull.

Sherlock reads boards! Who is he?!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Ha I rish TD concerned about wasting taxpayers money! Also does Sherlock know the difference between a website, a host and an ISP?

Well done though on finally highlighting the problem that Netflix and such will fix.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

You'rev wasting your time with Bruton folks, he's as corporate as it gets. Might as well have Sponsored By IMRO on his back.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

"I DONT BELIEVE THIS WILL BE USED BY COMPANIES TO...."

O thanks, I feel so reassured now. :rolleyes:

Did he just say "nerd"?

• Advertisement

"The Keyboard Warrior"

Now there's a tagline.

PJTierney wrote: »
    "The Keyboard Warrior" Now there's a tagline.

Can't believe a middle-aged TD from Cork has just said 'Keyboard Warrior' :D

AdamD wrote: »
    "I DONT BELIEVE THIS WILL BE USED BY COMPANIES TO...."

O thanks, I feel so reassured now. :rolleyes:

Exactly. Not like anyone has been pushed into this by big companies already....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

What on earth is Buttimer on about? We're trying to be the hub of online gaming in the Western World?

"...the Internet Community. I'm making myself available at this time to talk to them."

So yeah, shoot him a message if you want to discuss the issue in more detail.

MOH wrote: »
    What on earth is Buttimer on about? We're trying to be the hub of online gaming in the Western World?
    I'm not sure if it's still the same now as it was then, but back in the days of the PlayStation 2, Ireland was second only to Japan in terms of how often they played games, bought them etc.

How many small Irish copyright holder can afford to take such an injunction?

Boards is being mentioned now :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

he whats them to enter into voluntary arrangements!

eircom and irma entered into a voluntary arrangement and the pirate bay got blocked.

voluntary arrangements will end in censorship.

PJTierney wrote: »
    Boards is being mentioned now :cool:

It's all Sherlock's spoken about all afternoon. :)

Donnelly is quite good

• Advertisement

Just heard a Mario coin ringtone/message alert in the Dáil :confused:

Whoever this bald guy is hes amazing

AdamD wrote: »
    Whoever this bald guy is hes amazing

Stephen Donnelly. I might have to move to Wicklow.

"(The copyright law of) 1980 was 12 years ago" :confused:

[edit] Sherlock mentions the 2000 act, O'Dea nearly facepalms :D

1980 - 12 years ago... good man Willie :D

what year does Willie O'Dea think it is?!
    1980 was 12 years ago??!!

I think it's pretty clear to anyone by now that Sherlock has been paid off. By Boards!

He's mentioned it about 20 times now.

"The State is exposed"... ah FFS Sean - the State is not, it's just EMI & Others have a gun to your empty heads

I don't know much about how these things work so would appreciate some help;

How is this supposed to get passed? Does it get voted on? Because even within the TDs he seems on his own here, surely if he still proceeds to pass this, democracy is out the window.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

so he is still going ahead with it.

hes taking everyones opinions on board but there wrong.

well thats that

Advertisement