Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An open letter from Boards.ie to Minister Sean Sherlock

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Impressed with the petition that has been set up. Well done to all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

It's a really nice petition shame I have to use the email which I signed up to boards.ie with.
    Not a hope in hell I will put my legal name and address and phone number against that nom de internet, esp in an email to my T.D. I have no issues emailing them from the email account which I do have connected to my legal name but not via boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

I was number 188 to send this, I thought there would be much more to be honest maybe it is just early days yet.

Sharrow wrote: »
    It's a really nice petition shame I have to use the email which I signed up to boards.ie with.
    Not a hope in hell I will put my legal name and address and phone number against that nom de internet, esp in an email to my T.D. I have no issues emailing them from the email account which I do have connected to my legal name but not via boards.

Agreed, I thought it was a bit strange that you could not change that.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Impressed with the petition that has been set up. Well done to all.

Yes, it's good - avoids the mass email effect by linking it to a constituency.

Can people please not bother to write abuse in any emails they send - it only makes it easier for politicians to dismiss the entire body of emails they receive. Writing abusive emails only undermines everyone's efforts.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

GAAman wrote: »
    I was number 188 to send this, I thought there would be much more to be honest maybe it is just early days yet.

I'm 209. Give it time. It only went live a short while ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Sharrow wrote: »

Seconded.

I sent the email anyway, as my emails from my other address have yet to receive a response, but I can see instances where people would rather use the a different address.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭unkymo

Done!

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭chavezychavez

Number 250. Lets hope this grows. Mature, respectful and tactful approch to allow voices to be heard.

Just wait for the RTE news "shock" coverage of the Boards.ie members spamming Dail members soon :rolleyes:

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

it went up about 8 minutes ago... 209 is incredible in that short a space of time...

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

A good protest letter has the elements described in the blurb as well as asking to meet and threatening to organise and agitate against them in the next election.

they work for you remember!

• Advertisement

A good protest letter has the elements described in the blurb as well as asking to meet and threatening to organise and agitate against them in the next election.

they work for you remember!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

DeVore wrote: »
    it went up about 8 minutes ago... 209 is incredible in that short a space of time...

Apologies, I thought this had been up for awhile have been working my way back through this thread since I posted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

The preview was completely blank for me, is there some way to confirm that I didn't just send several TDs a blank email?

EDIT: Oh, never mind, the servers just emailed me a copy. All grand so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

Dear ***,

Thanks for taking the time to get in touch in relation to the Copyright Statutory Instrument.

As you will be aware, it is necessary for EU Member States to ensure that their laws are compliant with, or adequately transpose, those set out in EU Directives. One such Directive was the EU Copyright Directive 2001/29/EC, which provided that rights holders must be in a position to apply for injunctions against intermediaries whose services are used by a third party to infringe a copyright or related right.

A High Court judgment has held that, by reasons of the Copyright and Related Rights Act 2000, an injunction is not available in cases of transient communications and suggested that Ireland did not comply with EU law. For this reason, Minister of State Sean Sherlock decided to introduce a Statutory Instrument to restate the position that was considered to pertain prior to the High Court judgment.

In granting such injunctions, the courts must take account of various judgments of the European Court of Justice (ECJ). These require that a fair balance be struck between the various fundamental rights protected by the Community legal order and the principle of proportionality. That would include, inter alia, the protection of the fundamental rights of individuals who are affected by such measures, the freedom to conduct a business enjoyed by operators such as Internet Service Providers, the protection of private data and right of freedom of expression and information.

I hope that this goes some way towards addressing your query and thanks again for raising this important matter.

Kind regards,

Brian Walsh TD
    Fine Gael, Galway West

Smells like a prepared reply to me!

HB

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Many thanks for getting in touch on what is a critically important issue for our country.

A lot of people have been in contact with me about this and so apologies for the general nature of this reply.

During the week I spoke with Minister Sherlock on a number of occasions about this. The matter was then raised in the Dáil as a topical issue on Thursday. Unfortunately, under the rules of the House, I was not permitted to speak at the time. However, following the short debate a few of us met privately with Minister Sherlock to discuss further engagement on the issue.

More recently I have spoken with the Government Chief Whip and I am hoping that a delegation will meet with the Minister in the coming days. The order has not yet been signed and there will be further discussion on the issue.

Thanks again for your interest,
    I actually got a much better response, won't mention the name but its a Fine Gael TD, good to hear all the same!

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Paddy

Sarky wrote: »
    The preview was completely blank for me, is there some way to confirm that I didn't just send several TDs a blank email?

EDIT: Oh, never mind, the servers just emailed me a copy. All grand so.

We have been having sporadic database problems for the last half hour or so. That's probably why you're previews were blank. Everything looks to be stable again now.

No. 418

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭trooney

#422...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I got a very quick reply from Maureen O'Sullivan T.D. - her response was very honest about her lack of understanding about the S.I. (even mentioning being concerned about cyber bullying). I wrote her back explaining that the lack of understanding and debate surrounding the issue is exactly why this S.I. shouldn't be signed into law in its current form and (politely) pointed out that the S.I. is not related to cyber bullying.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

What's the privacy policy for the petition? Are contact details & addresses stored by Boards?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

Stock reply from Shatter, containing the line "Your analogy is neat but does not stand up to credible examination."

The thing is, I didn't make any analogies in my email.

I'm sure my retort of "Your reply is neat, but does not stand up to credible examination." will have him changing his mind about his support of the Sherlock in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Emails sent to three TD's.

That was easy.

Thanks DeVore for the template letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

#592 - numbers are climbing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,888 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

edanto wrote: »
    Stock reply from Shatter, containing the line "Your analogy is neat but does not stand up to credible examination."

The thing is, I didn't make any analogies in my email.

I'm sure my retort of "Your reply is neat, but does not stand up to credible examination." will have him changing his mind about his support of the Sherlock in no time.

did you refer to sopaireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Personal email from Mr Derek Keating, within ten minutes, requesting further contact details so a discussion can be had.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,888 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

can we see the form letter, i'll not use the boards form sent my own emails, is phone required?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Number 667, sent to all four TDs in Dun Laoghaire.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Sent to all four louth TDs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

Even though I am completely against what this bill stands for, I am not going to partake in this petition for one sole reason - The politicians will just simply ignore the emails sent. If you guys are so opposed to this bill why not talk to the politicians directly? :rolleyes:

Also I don't know if this has been posted before but:
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/proposal-to-filter-emails-to-tds-183699.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Gaunty

I got a reply from Paul Kehoe.

I share the same view as Minister Sherlock on this matter as our legislative position needs to be resolved.

There is a large divide between copyright protection and censorship and any suggestion of censorship is mere scaremongering, as the directive has been in place in the EU since 2002 and has not infringed freedom of speech.

In fact the Directive states that an injunction can't infringe rights of an ISP's customers, in particular their freedom to receive and impart information.

Comparison of this Statutory Instrument to the SOPA laws that are being proposed in the USA is an exaggeration.

My primary concern is that the work of any artist is protected from theft by Irish law. Personally I'm not comfortable with the rights of authors, musicians, photographers, graphic artists etc. being infringed. There has to be something in place to protect every citizen from IP theft.

The Government has been assured by the Attorney General's office has indicated that the EU Directive, that has been in place across Europe for almost ten years, is 'clear and unambiguous'.

This Government would never introduce any legislation that would jeopardise our Digital Economy, this SI has been carefully considered and drafted by the Department and will serve to protect intellectual property in Ireland in the coming years.

Regards

Minister Paul Kehoe TD
    Government Chief Whip & Minister of State

Advertisement