Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

E.V Fast Charging

Options
2»

Comments

reboot wrote: »
    I also think battery balancing, (between 90 and 100%) may be important in extending the battery life.Small scale Li-on projects I work with are a nightmare if the battery has not got its own computer, and I just charge each cell separately. Just noticed on a Zoe review they talk about the battery being "Actively Cooled",do you think that's what the coolant is doing, or perhaps its just for the motor?

There is no active cooling on any E.V available as of yet.

The Model S does and afaik the mercedes B class EV which uses a tesla made battery, electrics and motor.

Active cooling as in cooled by coolant, the Kia soul is fan cooled and afaik the Leaf and Zoe don't even have this. The zoe may not even need it. I've not heard anything about heat issues in the zoe.

Battery balancing is impotrant if fully charging and discharging, and it becomes much less of an issue of you keep the battery at , say, 30-80% it's only when you charge to 100% or down close to 0 is where balancing is most important. Less need for balancing greatly depends on how closely cells are matched.

A BMS is essential for monitoring either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭reboot

Active cooling of Zoe mentioned at this review.Is he wrong?
    green motor.co.uk

Sorry ,site is greenmotor.co.uk

Active cooling of Zoe mentioned at this review.Is he wrong?
    green motor.co.uk

Active as in maybe fan cooled but certainly not cooled by coolant. A simple battery heater would have been cheap and very effective, why the omission, I'll never know.

There is very little information on the zoe battery made by LG Chem.

Unfortunatly I think Zoe would have to be released in the USA before we'd get any really usefull information on such things, people don't seem to do tinker like this in Europe.

If the leaf wasn't released in the U.S I don't think we'd know anything like we do today about it and wouldn't have the likes of leaf spy or the leaf wiki.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Dexter1979

I think the Chameleon charger is cooled by the cars cooling mechanism. You can hear the fan when you are charging and it really howls when you have it on a 43kW Rapid Charger.

Not really battery cooling but I do notice that the Zoe does not seem to have a battery temperature gauge like the Leaf does. Does it not overheat in the same fashion?

• Advertisement

Dexter1979 wrote: »
    I think the Chameleon charger is cooled by the cars cooling mechanism. You can hear the fan when you are charging and it really howls when you have it on a 43kW Rapid Charger.

Not really battery cooling but I do notice that the Zoe does not seem to have a battery temperature gauge like the Leaf does. Does it not overheat in the same fashion?

It may not heat up as much as the battery in the Leaf, there is no way of telling without tapping into the car's ecu, I hope someone makes a leafspy app for the zoe !

One battery will vary to another, there really is no way of telling how long they will last, and how heat will effect each and every EV, but if the battery is leased then it doesn't really matter.

It may not heat up as much as the battery in the Leaf, there is no way of telling without tapping into the car's ecu, I hope someone makes a leafspy app for the zoe !

One battery will vary to another, there really is no way of telling how long they will last, and how heat will effect each and every EV, but if the battery is leased then it doesn't really matter.

On a slightly related topic they claim the Heat pump/AC/heater has an O/P of 3kw, but only uses 1Kw?

On a slightly related topic they claim the Heat pump/AC/heater has an O/P of 3kw, but only uses 1Kw?

I think that's the a/c the heater end can consume 2.5 KW for 5 kw out copmpared to non heat pump, these are in ideal conditions. Probably work best in our not so cold winters where below 0 on average might add up to 2 weeks total a year and that's at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Scottie99

I'm heading to the east coast of Scotland next month and will be bringing my EV. To do so I just applied for every feckin EV charge card I could think of. Think to date I've 6/7 charge cards :)

Scottie99 wrote: »
    I'm heading to the east coast of Scotland next month and will be bringing my EV. To do so I just applied for every feckin EV charge card I could think of. Think to date I've 6/7 charge cards :)

That's something I just couldn't be bothered to do. I'd rather fly and rent a car.

• Advertisement

That's something I just couldn't be bothered to do. I'd rather fly and rent a car.

Akaik the one Ecarni card operates across Ireland,don't know about Scotland.

Advertisement