Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rememberance Day at NASA

Options
  • 26-01-2012 4:15pm

NASA's Kennedy Space Center

Today is the NASA Day of Remembrance. We remember the crews of Apollo 1 and space shuttles Challenger and Columbia, as well as other members of the NASA family who lost their lives while furthering the cause of exploration and discovery.

My upmost respect and gratitude to all the men and women.

You will always be my heroes.

R.I.P

Comments

Nice to know they flew the American flag at half mast today at KSC

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭eilejh

http://twitter.com/NASA_Johnson

Johnson Space Center, Home of NASA Mission Control, will never forget.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

750pxapollo1crew01.jpg
    Apollo 1 - Jan 27 1967

750pxchallengerflight51.jpg
    STS 51L Challenger - Jan 28 1986

749pxcrewofsts107offici.jpg
    STS-107 Columbia - Feb 1 2003

Gone but not forgotten.

Pictures of Christa McAuliffe make me so sad. She was so excited to be the first teacher in Space.

In 2004 she was posthumously awarded the Congressional Space Medal of Honor.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055994374&page=6

Some stuff from my files on STS-51L/ Challenger. 26 years ago today.

655pxsts51lsvg.png

Thanks a million for sharing all that Beeker:) Loved it.

Bloody loved it :D

Thank you Beeker for saying this:
    30 years ago as a young teenager I watched in awe the first flight of the Space Shuttle from launch to landing. I was spellbound by the technology and the beauty of the system. As the years passed I became more and more absorbed in the program. I watched through amazing triumphs and stunning achievements, I marveled at the raw energy of each launch, the serenity of orbital flight and at the majesty of each landing. I was enthralled by the bravery of the Astronauts and the intelligence and ingenuity of the scientists and engineers who designed, built and made them fly.
    I watched in horror as Challenger broke up over the Atlantic taking 7 lives and a dream with it to a watery grave. I celebrated in triumph as the program recovered and went on to greatness. I cried once more as Columbia disintegrated in the skies above Texas and took 7 more lives. I have seen the release and capture, the repair and return of satellites, the launching of interplanetary probes, the magnificent launching of Hubble and the stunning and incredible images it has returned. I have seen Humans repair and service Hubble in orbit over and over again. I witnessed the construction of the Space Station and the cooperation of previous enemies now friends, work together to build a marvel of Human engineering that I could see cross over the sky at night. I witnessed two launches from the Kennedy Space Center, two events that remain etched on my brain as the most incredible events I have ever witnessed.
    I have watched and witnessed tragedy and triumph, success and failure for 30 years. I have grown up with the Shuttle and it has been an important part of my live. I am going to miss it but I am grateful that I got to live through this incredible period of history.
    We are a space faring civilization and will continue to reach out and explore. It is in our very nature to do this. I look forward to the next chapter when we will reach out further and go and explore the planets with people and then venture to the stars. We owe it not just to ourselves and to our children but as a hero of mine the great Carl Sagan once said, “to the Cosmos ancient and vast from which we spring”
    To Columbia, Challenger, Discovery, Atlantis and Endeavour …………Thank you.

P.s. Beeker: We love you as a Gentleman and a Scholar

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Hard to believe it's been 9 years since Columbia. Feel like I remember the day like it was yesterday. Never forget my first instinct being that someone shot it down. RIP.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭12april1981

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Boisjoly

Heard today of the passing of Roger Boisjoly RIP

• Advertisement
Advertisement