Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting Irish Business Online initiative

Options
  • 26-01-2012 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭

Has anyone gone through this process? There's a couple of aspects I'm finding confusing.

For a start, there seem to be two different websites:
    - gettingirishbusinessonline.ie, which seems to be run by IrishDomains.com, Blueface, and Websites.ie - offering free .com, website builder, free/subsidised telecoms.
    - gettingbusinessonline.ie, with Blacknight, Google, An Post and the Enterprise Boards. - offering free first year .ie and hosting, €100 adwords voucher, website builder.

The second one I've heard a lot more about - I only came across the first when googling the initiative.

On the second one, when you go to register a website, it seems to be very restricted. For a start, you need at least a RBN number, which precludes anyone who's a sole trader operating under their own name.

Then you're limited to choosing a domain name made up of words from your business name, which seems ridiculously restrictive. I can understand they don't want people picking totally unrelated names which the IEDR might refuse, but many businesses might want a domain name that more accurately reflects their business than just using their business name.

But I can't see any way of availing of the initiative without going through form?

Also, does anyone know what kind of hosting it is? I'm guessing it's a Blacknight Minimus account.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

If you have any queries about the service we're providing please feel free to ask over on our board here (http://www.boards.ie/blacknight) or email our sales team (sales@blacknight.com)

I don't want to get slapped around by moderators, so if you could use one of those methods then I (or our team) would be happy to address your queries

TIA

Michele

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Will do, thanks - given the number of parties involved I wasn't sure whether there was a special support address. I'll mail the BN sales team.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

MOH wrote: »
    Will do, thanks - given the number of parties involved I wasn't sure whether there was a special support address. I'll mail the BN sales team.

We're in charge of providing the:
    - domain name
    - site builder tools
    - customer support with the above
    - hosting of the above (it's tied in to the sitebuilder)

We also distribute the Google Adwords coupons

So just contact us and if your queries fall outside our remit we can point you in the right direction

HTH

Michele

Advertisement