Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it necessary to Strenghten attic floor?

• 26-01-2012 4:32pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 66 ✭✭

hello everybody,

I have a big rectunglar house with lots of attic space which I need to utilize. For storage mostly but if strong enough I would use it as a rarely used chill out space. Not be putting furniture or anything up there.
    The house is 30 yrs old with a cut roof. Collar ties on about every 3rd rafter, at about 4 feet high. Ideally it would be good to do something about theese to stop all the ducking, but its not absolotely necessary either.

There are 2 purlins, one on either side, with studs along underneath at irregular intervals. The joists are between 13 and 19 inches apart. They are inch an half by four an half.

So, are the joist strong enough for what I need?

Thanks a lot

Buk

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

buky wrote: »
    hello everybody,

I have a big rectunglar house with lots of attic space which I need to utilize. For storage mostly but if strong enough I would use it as a rarely used chill out space. Not be putting furniture or anything up there.
    The house is 30 yrs old with a cut roof. Collar ties on about every 3rd rafter, at about 4 feet high. Ideally it would be good to do something about theese to stop all the ducking, but its not absolotely necessary either.

There are 2 purlins, one on either side, with studs along underneath at irregular intervals. The joists are between 13 and 19 inches apart. They are inch an half by four an half.

So, are the joist strong enough for what I need?

Thanks a lot

Buk

If you can post pics it will give people a better idea of what you mean and you should get more advice.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

5 by 1 1/2 are not really up to supporting a floor 7 by 2 min required,the collars you have to duck under can be raised up,put a collar in on every rafter,(put in new collar-remove old one).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 439 ✭✭North West

Hi Buky
    Here is a rough sketch of the work I done on my brothers house a few years ago. The new conversion is basically floating over old ceiling. He has three bedrooms and a upstairs bathroom in the conversion. Hope this will give you an idea of what can be done. He had same size ceiling joists as you have.It is better than trying to reinforce the light ceiling joists.
    NW

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 66 ✭✭buky

tks for replies lads,

but would mine be at least good enough for a simple plywood floor for storage?

And doubling up the joists? The same again screwed onto originals.

North, I cannot open that link. But at any rate I will not be doing what he did. Too much work an I dont need new rooms as such. Storage is my main aim. Incidentally, what were the new joist sizes?

Tks

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭bozd

doubling up isnt a good idea as 4x2 on a stretch can bearly hold up a plaster ceiling plus stored stuff - any play and all your ceilings will be cracked very quickly.

what you could do is maybe put in a reduced area of 7x2s, like a platform. not resting on any of the existing woods or the ceiling - raise them on 2x1 on the top of the outer and inner walls.if your going the spend money than at least do a smaller better job - get value for your money.use insulated plasterboard sheets for your walls and you will be cosy.

if you floor the existing structure and then add storage stuff your ceilings could crack - i got advice from 1 carpenter before doing my conversion, seen his work which was good but he reckoned to keep costs down he suggested running lengths the opposite way and then floor it - i didnt ask him back.

good luck on the project

• Advertisement
Advertisement