Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

buying a new rifle .22 to a .223

Options
  • 26-01-2012 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

hey everyone i have a .22 at the moment and looking for something more powerful for shooting foxes even tho ive got a good number of foxes last yr 50 to 100 yrds range. and i need more yardage

problem one im currently waiting for my shotgun licence to come in would this be a problem applying for a new rifle ? and would i have to sell my .22 first and then apply for and bigger gun need advice here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭iTom

As far as I know you are allowed to have five guns but you must have a proper gun safe for these.
    You can still apply for another license while waiting on your shotgun one to come through.

Their are other lads on the site here will give better info and are more well up on the law of fire arm licenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 rockyvsrocky1

cheers man wana get a better idea when im applying for a new rifle

• Registered Users Posts: 14,981 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

You can have as many firearms as you like provided you meet the security requirements and have a valid reason for each one. Nothing to stop you getting the .223 and keeping the .22 as well.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

iTom wrote: »
    As far as I know you are allowed to have five guns .............
    I better sell 4 of mine so. :D

Just kidding........................................................... (about selling them).

You can have as many firearms as you want, and apply as often as you like. Whether you get them or not is another matter.

As was said previously you need a good reason for each one, and have the proper security level for each amount of firearms. Of course there are always other factors, non law related, about your Super, firearms officer,m etc, and their attitude towards firearms, and their views to how many they "think" a person should have.

Only real way to find out is to apply.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

I applied for a .17hmr and a shotgun at the same time. The super didnt want to give me both at the same time because he didnt know the difference between the two and taught they would do the same thing. He clearly didnt read the forms where the reasons were stated for each and when he was educated on the differences I got the licences in the door together a week later.

The guidelines are 3 non restricted guns can be stored in a gun safe, the super may want an alarm fitted if he's not happy with just a safe.

I'd keep the .22 if you could afford it, I know of a few people that sold theirs on and then bought new ones down the line because they missed the cheap bunny bashing fun.

You have a valid reason for wanting the thee guns so there shouldn't be any problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭session savage

I agree with the lads. I started with a .22 and then got a .223 aswell and I am so glad I kept the .22. I LOVE my .223 but I use the .22 just as much. Its cheap and quiet and ideal for bunnies and ambushing maggies and greys.
    I got a shotgun next and had no bother at all.

Kepp your .22 and get a Tikka T3, youll never look back :D

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ace86

I have 2 rifles myself a .22 magnum and a .223 and if you can afford i would advise ya hold on the .22 for cheap shooting on rabbits and crows and magpies etc and use the .223 for foxes. like alot of the guys said once you have a valid reason and justification why you want it there should be no problem and it just depends on the local Super in granting provided he is happy with your security arrangements.I have 4 firearms myself locked in a key coded safe myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭EWQuinn

Man, you gents are rough on the poor critters over there :) Haven't seen a magpie since Colorado, but.... squirrels, fox, turkey, whitetail, crows, racoons, doves, woodchucks, owls, bobcats, (and I think an occasional roaming cougar) all have the run of my place (don't do crops). The coyotes keep distance, but occasionally you can hear them howling on the "frontier", seeking someone's amateur pet.

Concur with the selection of .22 and .223 as an optimal combo for your versatility, I also have a great .243 which seems real popular over on the Emerald Isle (with good reason). Hard to argue with a flat shooting Finn rifle for sure.

Despite having various fields of fire and ranges dialed in from the house, all I can do is plink cans and shoot-n-see targets because the "better 1/2" doesn't want me reducing the creatures (not at home anyway).

I experimented for about 5 min with subsonic loads in my .223, but not worth it for me (reloading, falls under the category "careful what you ask for", you can spend more time on that than shooting). Good luck with your shopping!

Advertisement