Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the favoured Childrens TV station for your children . . .

Options
  • 26-01-2012 5:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭

Just for a bit of fun I have decided to run a poll to see which childrens channels are popular amongst parents here. Obviously different channels cater for different age groups, so I have done my best to include all Childrens channels available to us here in Ireland, (fingers crossed that I haven't left any out)? but with so many stations available today (and with so many Satellite bundles) its is hard to keep track of all the new ones. If I have omitted any major stations then please tick the 'Other' box and describe the childrens channel favoured in your house, have fun & enjoy :))

Personally, we tend to have CBeebies as our default childrens channel, but like most people we watch other channels too, specially those that show our childrens favourites, 'Peppa Pig' (for example), which is on different channels at different times!

BabyTV
    Boomerang
    Cartoon net
    CBeebies
    CBBC
    CiTV
    Cula 4
    Disney
    Disney Jr
    Kix
    Nickelodeon
    Nick Jr
    PoP
    PoP Girl
    RTE jr
    Tiny Pop

What is the favoured childrens TV station in your house . . . 52 votes

BabyTV
    0% 0 votes
    Boomerang
    5% 3 votes
    Cartoon net
    3% 2 votes
    CBeebies
    1% 1 vote
    CBBC
    32% 17 votes
    CiTV
    3% 2 votes
    Cula 4
    0% 0 votes
    Disney
    0% 0 votes
    Disney Jr
    7% 4 votes
    Kix
    19% 10 votes
    Nickelodeon
    0% 0 votes
    Nick Jr
    3% 2 votes
    PoP
    13% 7 votes
    PoP Girl
    0% 0 votes
    RTE jr
    0% 0 votes
    Tiny Pop
    3% 2 votes
    Other*
    3% 2 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

TG4 and Nick jr are what she watches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Cbeebies is the major one here, they both love Baby Jake, Something Special and Mister Maker... I have a few Peppa's recorded on the UPC box for them to watch, but we don't watch Nick Jr much in this house, mainly because of the adverts... Cbeebies only advertise themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

My daughter is only just gone one so we are still mainly watching BabyTV but occasionally put on Nick Jr for Peppa Pig or Disney Jr for Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. BabyTV is great for lazy mama days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I was very tempted to include Channel 5 in the poll because of 'Milkshake' which is on for three hours every morning, and anyone who's seen it will know that its got a great selection for the little ones, but since Channel 5 is not a dedicated Childrens channel, I didn't include it in the poll.

five_milkshake.png?1295868581

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Nick Jnr in our house for "cartoonies" but they'd usually rather watch movies or old TV series from mine and my o/h's childhood which we have on a hard-drive that plugs into the DVD player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

There's a channel called Disney XD that my lad (9) watches - it's supposedly for boys and includes cartoons like Phineas & Pherb and shows for 'pre-teens' (with 27yr old american actors pretending to be 16:rolleyes:) like King of Kings and Zeke & Luther - that's what he watches most of the time now - prior to us getting Sky and having this channel, it was Nick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

CBeebies here - the quality of the programs is pretty good, no ads and the presenters are great - I find 'Ógie' and 'Bó' on RTE Jr very annoying, the first for being too babyish and the other for having an awful Americanised accent. Seriously, I'd rather my kids picked up the odd Englishism (eg I get the odd mUmmy, although hubby says that, he's from the UK) than that drawly nonsense.

What I don't like about CBeebies is how they repeat programs through the day. It's not on the whole time but I do use it when the wee man is wound up or I need to make a phone call etc and its a bit crap when you switch it on and the same episode of Waybuloo is on that was also on 3hrs previously. Ok, maybe that's because I despise Waybuloo anyway, too much plinky plonky saccharinity and adults doing squeaky voices trying to pass as kids! You really can't beat a DVD on repeat, a chair, some baling twine and a gag. --->I AM JOKING.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

A mixture of CBeebies and Disney Junior here. Oh and Cula4 in the mornings. Which I note is not mentioned... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

Cbeebies for Charlie Bear, In the Night Garden and Waybuloo. Spongebob and fraggle rock on Cula4.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭chirogirl

Cbeebies, for Octonauts, Night garden, waybaloo, and Mr.Blooms nursery.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭beeroclock

Disney Jr 25 hours a day if he could!

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭stephen_k

Disney Jr... Little fella (2) is addicted to Micky Bleedin Mouse... If I hear that Hot Dog song again... However aside from that, its any wild life program, he's mad about animals and will stay glued to Nat Geo Wild if there's anything with elephants, lions, cheetahs, zebras etc on

Tiny Pop / Tiny Pop+1 are brilliant for toddlers who like Little Bear & Milly Molly just before they go to bed :))

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭RoryMurphyJnr

Cbeebies and Disney Jnr

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

CBeebies for our daughter (21 months).

She has a total fascination with Justin Fletcher!! I swear her first boyfriend will be some gimp who looks just like him! :D

Her favourite shows are as follows:

Something special (Mr Tumble and all the other Tumbles)
    Justin's House (She goes mental for Dee Livery and 'Bobert'!)
    Postman Pat (She loves Pat and Ajay!)
    Mr. Bloom's nursery
    Grandpa in my pocket
    Baby Jake
    Ballymory

She used to really like Octonauts and Big Barn Farm but shows little interest in either now. Same for Show me, show me.

I refuse to let her watch Rasta Mouse (Who be de tief, irie, make a bad ting good!) but she seems to naturally dislike the show anyway :)

I love the way CBeebies has a disabled presenter and has a whole programme (Something special) devoted to Makaton and special needs children. It's teaching her that 'different' people exist and are like most other people in many ways.

r3nu4l wrote: »
    CBeebies for our daughter (21 months).

She has a total fascination with Justin Fletcher!!

Our little ones too, he really is Multi-talented.

BY the way, whats with RTE jr being off at the weekends?

Advertisement