Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New television channel for over 60's

Options
  • 26-01-2012 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

hi there!
    I am a student graphic designer in Dun Laoghaire. I am currently working on a new project by Channel4, who wish to create a new tv station for over 60's. the tone shall be "Grown up, challenging and mischievous."
    me being 22, I know little of the mindset and attitude of this age group, and would love some insight as to what people would want out of a tv station. What do you watch? what excites you? do you want to be informed? challenged? entertained? understood?

any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.
    thanks in advance.

p.s. I will not profit from this so don't worry :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Does this count as 'News and Media'? I'd have thought the Television forum would be more appropriate.

But I'll kick off the replies....

Repeats of Dallas, Daktari and Dynasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 padraig_croke

coylemj wrote: »
    Does this count as 'News and Media'? I'd have thought the Television forum would be more appropriate.

But I'll kick off the replies....

Repeats of Dallas, Daktari and Dynasty.

yeah your right. but im new to boards and i couldnt figure it out haha. this is a channel that "challenges me on my terms, without showing me re-runs of old shows or period dramas that are all the same."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭GSF

Typical of tv exec's to get a 20 year old to design a tv channel for the over 60's. And they wonder why it might not succeed.

GSF wrote: »
    Typical of tv exec's to get a 20 year old to design a tv channel for the over 60's. And they wonder why it might not succeed.

that really doesnt help...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

So what do we get if you win this competition using our ideas? :rolleyes:

http://www.dandad.org/awards/student/2012/categories/3/advertising
    Create an advertising campaign promoting a new, over 60s television channel for Channel 4. This new channel is about quality programming, and will challenge the audience in a characteristically Channel 4 fashion. No Larkrise to Candleford here, please.

• Advertisement

Skid wrote: »
    So what do we get if you win this competition using our ideas? :rolleyes:

http://www.dandad.org/awards/student/2012/categories/3/advertising

im not using ideas. i simple asked for an insight into how people over 60 think. what challenges them excites them etc. its a discussion

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭GSF

im not using ideas. i simple asked for an insight into how people over 60 think. what challenges them excites them etc. its a discussion
    Why not go and meet some of them face to face then?

You will find them in pubs, shops, hospitals, on the streets, at work. Loads of places actually.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

OP - I don't think this is the best place for your question.

More importantly I don't think you've been entirely honest with people in setting out your reasons for seeking this information.

It's also preferred that people ask beforehand if they want to use the forum for research and for-profit research is not allowed (to be honest I see this falling between the two stools of for-profit and academic, but either way a mail in advance might have helped).

I'm going to lock this thread - I think going to some of the other fora (television or 'oulwans 'n' oulfellas' being obvious examples) might be of more use to you but be sure to flag it with a mod beforehand so you don't end up getting in people's way.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement