Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Real-world broadband speeds?

• 26-01-2012 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hi, I've a 10Mbps download & 640Kbps upload package but using speedtest.net and others I rarely get above 7Mbps. When I rang my provider they told me that speed tests weren't an accurate representation of my speeds and that the speed shown on my router page (11,519Kbps) is my actual speed.
    Are they just trying to fob me off or is this right?
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Are you using WiFi?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭hardwood

Wifi. I've checked using the laptop wired to the router and it's given better speeds but still not the 10Mbps promised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

You'll never get "full" speed really, that's the top speed of your connection, so to speak, or what it's limited to.

I'm not a huge techy but I think anyone here would agree when I say that it's almost impossible to get that speed due to a number of factors -

Contention (others on the same ISP nearby)
    Time of day (as above)
    Distance (from the exchange)
    Quality (of the line to the exchange, the building cabling and your own components)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

And no isp promises any particular speed - you will find that your product is "up to".

What are your line stats?

Line stats?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

DSL Connection

bull__md.gif Link Information

Uptime:2 days, 3:15:31 spacer.gif
    DSL Type:G.992.5 annex A spacer.gif
    Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:703 / 11,519 spacer.gif
    Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [GB/GB]:8.50 / 7.92