Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband connection Rush

Options
  • 15-08-2011 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

What options do we have in Rush for Broadband service providers.
    I'm currently with Vodafone on a phone/broadband package worth €35. Rotten slow on weekends and some evenings, so looking to change.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Carlosthejakal

With eircom.
    Can only get 3mb if they give me 4mb it keeps disconnecting.
    Usually get 2.5-2.7mb on speedtest.

Brother lives on southside has 25mb
    Makes mine look like the old 56k dialup

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

depends where you are in rush. i get consistant 5 mb from eircom.

there is a thread here on it already might be worth rooting it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

i use the 02 dongle thingy....cost 17 per month and does the job nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭bonescap

In the past couple of months I have noticed my broadband connection has been dropping. this seems to happen quiet frequently but usually only last for maybe 1 minute. I am with irishbroad band so thought maybe it might be a problem with them but have spoken to a couple of other people in rush who are with vodafone that are having similar problems. I'm just wondering have many people noticed this happening to them? the only reason i have noticed is that I use xbox live. also if this is a problem with all the networks in the area who should i contact?

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭bambam

Yep, happened to me also. I had a stable 7mb connection for ages with Digiweb, but had to reduce it to 4mb lately.

Digiweb said there was nothing they could do, Eircom can do what they want at the exchange which may result in degradation of connection.

And as long as a line fault doesn't show up, Eircom will do nothing. Digiweb have no option apart from recommending your connection speed is reduced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

I've noticed the same. I'm with Irish Broadband via work and it hasn't been very stable lately. For the last couple of weeks, it seems to drop around 10 p.m. and I have to reset the router.

I get a reasonably steady 10mb which isn't too bad, but better stability would be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭bonescap

bambam wrote: »
    Digiweb said there was nothing they could do, Eircom can do what they want at the exchange which may result in degradation of connection.

That sounds like Eircom could just cause connection problems to try and get people to switch to their 'next generation broadband'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Psygnosis

I'm on the next generation crap and speed has also dropped from 4 too 3mb not happy. Hope to god UPC setup soon this is rubbish.

Any one know whats going on with the digging up of the footpaths maybe its to do with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Speedtest gives a country by country rankings breakdown of Download speeds. Ireland avg is 7.88 Mpbs(48th). Estonia is a scary 41.04 Mpbs(1st)

http://www.netindex.com/download/allcountries/

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭lexluther

Hi anyone know who supplies broadband to knockabawn in rush. UPC only do tv there.

Thanks guys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Wondering if anyone can advise me on this please.

I am moving back to Rush soon and I want to know what broadband is avaliable in the area, is it still just Eircom or have UPC come out with there strong broadband? Or is there any other good companies?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭N17er

No UPC i'm afraid, I have gone from 100meg UPC in west dublin to 3/4meg with Vodafone in Rush. Pulling my hair out. The Eircom/Vodafone offering is probably the best in Rush, its 'up to' 24meg, depends on your location, line quality and distance from exchange as to what speed you will get. I ordered the up to 24meg and had to move back to 8meg because the line couldn't take it. So on the 8meg I get around 3/4meg speeds. The only way you will know around what speed you can get it to ring eircom and ask them.

Thanks for that, and thanks to the Mod for moving my topic too.

Ok so I'm moving back to the Channel road.
    My dad has Eircom broadband in the house for the past 5 odd years I think, Hasnt been able to cancel it over the past while since there is no computer in the house, no need for it(! they are making it difficult, send them an email to cancel but never gets cancelled, stupid ericom, but seems to be the only option) and he still has the old modem with them. If I rang up Eircom and asked for a new router for wireless broadband in the house, would they send out a new modem/router or would I be stung with a new fee?

Not moving back for 2 months but would like to get it all set up right and correctly before I move back.

Friend in Bray is using Eircom since moving back to his parents home and says the speed is not bad, not great but good enough.

Thanks for all the help!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

Ready to go, they have a wireless routher in the firneds charity shop on clonard street in balbriggan if that helps.I just had a guy calling from UTV, sounds good, anyone any experiance??

Yeah going to get a router and test it all out at the weekend.
    Will invest in a decent one.

Are UTV Broadband in Rush?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Psygnosis

UTV Just resell Eircom's BB they have no infrastructure. They are actually one of the poorer resellers as there Usage policy is very low and when you go over this you get stung badly.

Eircom Resellers in one shape or another
    Digiweb (DSL)
    Utv
    Vodafone (DSL)
    I've more than likely missed a couple more.

I'm with Vodafone and get 5mb connection but that was after contacting them and explaining my line is good and could hold this connection you can find out these stats from you router. Its a bit technical but if you google your router name and SNR at the end you'll find out how to get them.

3g is a different technology its what your mobile phone uses and the speed of it depends on how many other people are using it. For skype gaming etc its rubbish for general browsing its adequate at best.
    Wimax is similar to 3g but Imagine are great at the auld marketing.

Eircom Fibre is being rolled out in the next 12-24 months Rush has not been named in phase 1 or 2 which has started now. Hopefully phase 3 or 4 failing this our last chance is UPC.

Intrestingly though Eirgrid when laying the interconnector also laid fibre cable which I guess could terminate in Rush/Lusk exchange. Maybe this will help speed up the fibre roll out but would not hold my breath.

Ok to I was out in rush yesterday, I bought a new wireless router for the modem, everything is working fine, not the fastest but still.
    Modem is really old and Eircom said they will only replace modem if its faulty, I stupidly said it was working ok and they wont send a up to date one out, d'oh.

Also, they are charging €50pm, thats kinda high, seeing as I have Magnet at a much faster speed for €45.

As long as I can download games from Xbox Live and not have a dip in connections I'll be grand.

Thanks for all the help everyone!!!!
    This makes the move back a lot more easy :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭N17er

You could always have a little accident with it....

lol yeah thats the plan, 'its broken' or soemthing.

Advertisement