Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stainless Steel Extractor Hood - Best Cleaning Product?

• 26-01-2012 6:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭

Obviously it's got grease and dust on it, am looking for the best stuff around to bring it back to new - only 4 years old.

Have tried JIF(CIF) etc but useless, I think I need something industrial or at least something "professional".

Can anyone help me with the best stainless steel cleaner to use on my extractor hood? Any advice appreciated.

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

Hi

Presuming you can get the grease etc off and you just want to shine it up,i suggest Stainless steel wipes(most supermarkets),there is also a good polish which is called "Peek" it comes in a toothpaste like tube and can be got from a hardware shop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Hi

Presuming you can get the grease etc off and you just want to shine it up,i suggest Stainless steel wipes(most supermarkets),there is also a good polish which is called "Peek" it comes in a toothpaste like tube and can be got from a hardware shop.

It's not that bad with grease per se, but it's something to take the grease off and shine it up is what I'm looking for...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Sugar soap should shift the grease easily enough.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

WD40.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Sugar soap should shift the grease easily enough.
    paddy147 wrote: »
    WD40.

And neither will damage the stainless steel in any way?

Thanks v much

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 zara flower

i worked in a catering kitchen where everything was stainless steal, we cleaned with ajaz powder washed off and wiped down with baby oil. brought up the shine and removed finger prints.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭fiacha

vicwatson wrote: »
    And neither will damage the stainless steel in any way?

Thanks v much

Have been using WD40 on ours for 5 years. Still good as new.

Give it a light wiping with a soaked cloth every week or so and the grease won't stick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I use turpentine, it's fantastic, obviously I leave it to evaporate away before I used the hob, just a little bit on a cloth gets rid of fingerprints and grease.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Before using chemicals or solvents, give baking soda a go.

Damp cloth dipped in baking soda works wonders. It's dirt cheap, non toxic, non scratching and works great.

€1.89 a kilo in JC's supermarket in Swords.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

alternatively get some baking soda, mix it in with vinegar a touch of turpentine and a few sprays of WD40, :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭whizbang

why hasn't someone mentioned coke:rolleyes:

Advertisement