Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Project Maths Exam Questions

• 26-01-2012 6:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭

Are cyclic quadrilaterals on the LC OL exam for 2012.

They're not in the book I'm using or in the Syllabus Learning Outcomes... BUT they did appear on a previous LCOL PM exam. Have they been removed from the syllabus or am I reading it wrong?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

was it a pilot school exam you were looking at?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭lestat21

Yeah, Ive been using them as examples of prob & stats application questions and I was thinking of doing the same with the trigonmetry and geometry... ive come across one or two items that I was unsure of in the past but usually a quick look at the syllabus clarified the issue.

I actually checked the syllabus for 2012 again. Although cyclic quadrilateral are not included in Learning Outcomes for OL or HL, a definition of a cyclic quadrilateral is contained further on in the syllabus, in the theorems and proofs section. So I'm actually more confused than when I first posted here..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

Cyclic quadrilaterals are on the JCOL course, AFAIK, which would mean that they are still expected to know about them. (The LCOL course assumes you've followed the JCOL course).

Of course they do... I didnt think of looking at the OL syllabus. Thanks so much for your help :)

Cyclic quadrilaterals are on the JCOL course, AFAIK, which would mean that they are still expected to know about them. (The LCOL course assumes you've followed the JCOL course).

Sorry it took me so long to doublecheck MathsManiacs suggestion. I found that Cyclic Quadrilaterals are only on the JCHL course. I would have assumed that that meant they could only be examined at LCHL, unless it was explicitly stated that they were covered on LCOL course as well.

Im going to get in touch with the Project Maths development team just to be 100% sure....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

Sorry I wasn't clearer: cyclic quadrilaterals are on the old JCOL course. In the geometry on the Project Maths exam, the students get a choice of either answering a question on the new course or answering a problem-solving question based on knowledge of the old JCOL syllabus.

The only references that I have seen so far to cyclic quadrilaterals on an LCOL paper have been in this second option.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Some of the sample papers the exam paper publishers have are very good in the OL - was going through papers with my grinds group today, and they showed me one about a stem and leaf graph of people buying petrol in litres, and the first question read how many students are in the class.

With regards that question, I think it can be worked out without the knowledge of cyclic quadrilaterals i.e. that the opposite angles equal 180 degrees, but it makes it much more difficult!

Advertisement