Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Photocopying entire book

• 26-01-2012 6:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭

It's not illegal...just frowned upon...and we all do it!

Basically the lecturer has us using his own book and i wanna save money. He said there is a copy in the library which we may copy.

My question is - is there anywhere in Limerick you can bring a book, and for a nice fair fee get it completely copied and bound?

I studied in the Netherlands and such a service existed.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

To my knowledge, it is illegal to photocopy more than 5% of a publication, unless its copyright has lapsed or you own it. Still nobody seems to care too much about enforcing it, several places in Cork near UCC do it. Can't recommend where you are though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

well i could just photocopy it myself...but that would cut the costs...

its an option! thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

be easier source yourself a ready made pdf of the book if you can

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

Yeah if you find a copy of the book online in pdf format,
    Bound to be available somewhere,
    Save it and print off pages when you need to I'd say,
    Save you money photocopying pages you're not going to use

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 needacchelp

Following on from what Cydoniac said, you could use the info here http://www.diybookscanner.org/ and start making proper eBooks of everything!

Maybe you could even charge Glucksman for digitizing all their stuff...not sure how copyright would work with textbooks but surely they've a lot of FYP's and Dissertations etc from a few years back that'd all be stuck in hardcopy...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

eldwaro wrote: »
    It's not illegal ...
    It is actually! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

It is actually! :)

its more like masterbating on a plane....

thanks a lot bin laden

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Not half as enjoyable though.

And let's be clear, I really don't care whether you do or don't (do either).

But you said that it wasn't illegal, in fact, that's how you opened this thread. I pointed out that you were incorrect, that's all.

And you'll probably find that there aren't too many places set up or willing to do it, given that it is illegal.

Btw, most lecturers don't own the copyright even in their own books, or at least not wholly ... the publishers usually own it outright or on a shared basis ... so even lecturers can't normally *legally* give you permission to copy even a book which they wrote themselves.

Advertisement