Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vet bills

• 26-01-2012 6:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭

Im so worried. Our puppy fractured her hip and has to get surgery which will cost €600 in total. We simply can't afford this. Has anyone any advice please?

I was going to call the vet and ask could we come to an arrangement to pay in installments or something.

Thanks a million!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

cruais wrote: »
    Im so worried. Our puppy fractured her hip and has to get surgery which will cost €600 in total. We simply can't afford this. Has anyone any advice please?

I was going to call the vet and ask could we come to an arrangement to pay in installments or something.

Thanks a million!
    Most vets will leave you pay in installments , if you dont have any significant savings would you consider checking into pet insurance, i would highly reccomend it if you dont have any major savings set aside.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

Would it be too late to get pet insurance now tho? Prob wouldn't cover her fracture.... The vet said we could leave her if we like and not operate but she would be left with a permanent limp for the rest of her life. We just couldn't do that.

Do the student vet hospital operate cheaper?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

I'm assuming you are referring to UCD when you say "student vet hospital"? It would not cheaper to go here to get surgery.

If you were to insure your dog now, the hip issue would not be covered but it would cover any other problems that could arise in the future that are unrelated (so, any other health problems your dog may encounter through out its life).

Have you asked your vet if you can pay installments? Or, perhaps, you could ring around to see if there are any other vets in the area who would do the surgery and allow you to pay in part and pay the rest off in installments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

where are you based? the st. francis clinic in inchicore is very affordable and the vet is very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,901 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Your vet will accept instalments. If they don't then move vets as most vets will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Check with your vet to pay in installments. Pet insurance wouldn't cover op as it would be considered a pre-existing condition however it is something that you could look into and it would cover anything unrelated in the future. I would give Ucd a ring and check for a price as I know they are cheaper than my regular vets for my dogs heart tablets and they only charge €12 for an overnight stay (don't know how much a regular vet is!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

My girl is just out of the vets after an overnight stay, I also had to get drops for another of my dogs which were 45 euro. Bill in total over 300 euro:eek:. When I told them I don't have that at present there was absolutely no problem at all.
    I got the distinct impression they were well used to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I'm assuming you are referring to UCD when you say "student vet hospital"? It would not cheaper to go here to get surgery.

In the olden days it was in Ballsbridge and called the vet hospitals - you could walk in off the street and get pets seen to for free - i remember going in with my nana one time lol.

Anyhoos OP most good vets are realistic and know that not everyone has money to pay on the spot and will allow you to pay in installments.

Thanks all for your replies... Well she is currently getting operated on now as I speak and I came to an arrangement that I pay half now and half in the next fortnight....

Fingers crossed everything goes well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

tk123 wrote: »
    In the olden days it was in Ballsbridge and called the vet hospitals - you could walk in off the street and get pets seen to for free - i remember going in with my nana one time lol.
    Its still called UCD Veterinary Hospital and if you have no primary vet you can be seen there just like a normal vet would. If you have a primary vet it then works on a referral only basis. Neutering was the only discounted operation provided and everything else, incl surgery is not cheaper because its a teaching hospital unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

Try the blue cross they are great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 312 ✭✭DerTierarzt

anniehoo wrote: »
    Its still called UCD Veterinary Hospital and if you have no primary vet you can be seen there just like a normal vet would. If you have a primary vet it then works on a referral only basis. Neutering was the only discounted operation provided and everything else, incl surgery is not cheaper because its a teaching hospital unfortunately.

You have to be referred by a vet, so it's not a first opinion veterinary hospital.

My oh tried them and they mentioned something about social welfare.

Just got the call to say she is in recovery and is doing well! I'm delighted.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,901 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

http://www.bluecross.ie/

Advertisement