Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog scratching under her belly.

• 26-01-2012 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

I have a 6 years old lab cross named Millie, who keeps scratching and biting at her belly. It is red raw and she is losing her fur in that region again. I brought her to the vet 6 weeks ago and was given tablets and a wash. It cleared up for 5 weeks and then started last week. The vet said it was a scratch type wound that become infected. Believe me, this is not the case. This is the fifth time Millie has got this. I have brought her to two different vets and she still gets hasn't been cured. It is not mange, that's for sure. Does anyone know what this is.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

What's her diet like? What food is she on? I would take a close look at that and make a few changes. Have they done any skin scraps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭LucyBliss

I second the looking at her food recommendation. A friend's dog regularly came out in red lumps that resulted in her nearly scratching herself raw and despite many trips to the vets and lots of different medications, it turned out to be a food allergy. The food was changed and the dog has thrived since.

It might also be an idea to check bedding and what not, just in case there's any household detergents/cleaners, etc that might cause an irritation.

I hope the poor thing is back to rights soon. It can't be easy on the dog or you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭suziwalsh

I also say food allergy...and recommend a change along with yumega itchy skin supplement its really great!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

I would also be thinking food allergy, this is exactly what my boy was doing when i had him on Royal Canin (he has an allergy to pork and I didn't realise they used pork in the food until i went through every ingredient and discovered 'animal proteins' could be from any animal:rolleyes:) He used to be raw along his sides and stomach and had pulled clumps of hair out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

Sounds a bit like our dog. After a few flare ups we got allergy blood tests done (not cheap - €300 for two). Our girl is allergic to a dust mite and is now on immuotherapy. Each month I bring her in and she gets a shot. The actual fluid that is injected is about €250 but it last for ages and its €26 per vet visit. It calms the itching but doesnt completely relieve it. I need to give her an occasional wash and am currently trying different creams to see what works best.

• Advertisement
Advertisement