Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new tv channel for over 60s

• 26-01-2012 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

hi there!
    I am a student graphic designer in Dun Laoghaire. I am currently working on a new project by Channel4, who wish to create a new tv station for over 60's. the tone shall be "Grown up, challenging and mischievous."
    me being 22, I know little of the mindset and attitude of this age group, and would love some insight as to what people would want out of a tv station. What do you watch? what excites you? do you want to be informed? challenged? entertained? understood?

this is a channel that aims to challenge, without just showing re-runs of old shows or period dramas.

any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.
    thanks in advance.

p.s. I will not profit from this so don't worry

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,522 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

You could pander to the cliché and show antiques roadshow, deal or no deal and last of the summer wine, or you could give them good quality TV and aspire to cover the same stuff as any 'good' channel should - a mixture of good adult drama, documentaries, news/discussion and movies.

Just make the volume 20% louder. :o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Repeats of the love boat mid afternoon would be a start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

watch RTE 1 for a week, thats their core audience

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Lots of "Murder she wrote" please.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 padraig_croke

naaah. this is to challenge the cliches and the audience of that age group! its gotta be bold and creative, maybe even shocking. typical channel 4 fashion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭bullpost

If you consider that David Bowie, Mick Jagger, Roger Waters, Vivienne westwood, Seamus Heaney, Steven Spielberg , Lou Reed and lots of other "interesting" people are in that age bracket , it might give you some more scope to consider what todays 60 somethings might like.

naaah. this is to challenge the cliches and the audience of that age group! its gotta be bold and creative, maybe even shocking. typical channel 4 fashion

bullpost wrote: »
    If you consider that David Bowie, Mick Jagger, Roger Waters, Vivienne westwood, Seamus Heaney, Steven Spielberg , Lou Reed and lots of other "interesting" people are in that age bracket , it might give you some more scope to consider what todays 60 somethings might like.

yeah! that does help! cheers ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭KeanSeenan

It'd be cool if there was a show that was like The Wire, but was really set in an old folks' home and followed the same trajectory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

bullpost wrote: »

Visual LSD should work..... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I can't find anything about this new station, the media world would be all over this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

hi there!
    I am a student graphic designer in Dun Laoghaire. I am currently working on a new project by Channel4, who wish to create a new tv station for over 60's. the tone shall be "Grown up, challenging and mischievous."
    me being 22, I know little of the mindset and attitude of this age group, and would love some insight as to what people would want out of a tv station. What do you watch? what excites you? do you want to be informed? challenged? entertained? understood?

this is a channel that aims to challenge, without just showing re-runs of old shows or period dramas.

any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.
    thanks in advance.

p.s. I will not profit from this so don't worry

This sounds very like a College Project.

I dunno. Matlock? Grandpa Simpson loves that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,467 ✭✭✭cml387

Whatever it does,the evening should end with a little white dot in the middle of the screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

Matlock, Matlock and more Matlock.

mike65 wrote: »
    I can't find anything about this new station, the media world would be all over this.

http://www.dandad.org/awards/student/2012/categories/3/advertising

that's because it hasnt been created yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Lots of stuff about Elvis, the Beetles and other music of the 50s and 60s. Plenty of tv celebrating the counter culture of the 60s as most of the people who were involved in that are 60+ now. Reruns of popular shows and movies from that era and back to the 30s-40s, along with new period shows like Mad Men and Bomb Girls. In general period fiction is good but they are expensive, so shows from the 70s like Upstairs Downstairs, The Sullivans, The Duchess of Duke St, etc would probably go down well too.

Cheers for the link unfortunately I can stream that fast and it won't buffer. Weird that no one has picked up on this on the trade sites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

You might run adverts for . . .
    Stannah stairlifts, Dentures, New Hip joints, Reading glasses, Hearing aids, Hair dye, Gardening gloves,
    Nose & ear clippers, Slippers, Hawaiian shirts, Hair nets, Walking sticks, and finally, Mobility scooters!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRnPSFvn2P6R5z2bniHKqMXLz_-txgaAPuhjGJrQluSrcmNr2Fd

iguana wrote: »
    Lots of stuff about Elvis, the Beetles and other music of the 50s and 60s. Plenty of tv celebrating the counter culture of the 60s as most of the people who were involved in that are 60+ now. Reruns of popular shows and movies from that era and back to the 30s-40s, along with new period shows like Mad Men and Bomb Girls. In general period fiction is good but they are expensive, so shows from the 70s like Upstairs Downstairs, The Sullivans, The Duchess of Duke St, etc would probably go down well too.

yeh you're right! but more so than the shows that they would play. im trying to figure out who these people are. what is the tone of this. is it rebellion? against the grain maybe. im trying to challenge the perception people have of over 60's. but thanks. the counter culture stuff is a good side to think about

iguana has described a mix of BBC4 and ITV3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

abe_simpson.gif

matlock !!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭DanWall

I agree with 60s music. How about classic cars and motorbikes, or how we lived without computers and how we managed without any money worse than today.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

How's about a cookery show presented by a member of that age bracket. They would make simple easy to do recipes with high nutritional values in a easy to understand manner. Old maybe forgotten recipes could be reintroduced. Also maybe you could interview a few to talk about their early years and how things were done back in the day.

Advertisement