Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Table Quizes

Options
  • 26-01-2012 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

Table quizes have excited me since I was a kid. I remember trying to play trivial pursuit in vain, straining to answer the five general knowledge questions in the Echo with my Dad and coming last in the CBS annual charity table quiz at school.

I regularly partake in a table quiz around the city. I love them. I attend the Bierhaus one on a Monday because it's free, the beer is excellent, Uncle Pete's is delicious, questions are challenging and I get to make an ass of myself by convincing the team to go for the wrong answer.

Lately I've grown weary of them. Smartphone seem to be the death of table quizes with more and more people availing of the vast knowledge of google. I feel for the quizmaster as it makes it impossible to combat with general knowledge.

I'd like to hear from Cork Boardsies about the best pub quiz in Cork (City).

Ideally: Food, beer, integrity, zero mobile reception, picture rounds.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I'd be interested too! I've tried out a few but nothing great so far. The odd time there's one organised by a local club or charity, but I don't often hear about those. You need to be listening to 96FM or something and I can't bring myself to do that :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

The Beirhaus does one every Monday night. They used to start at 9, but I think it's 8pm they start at now (which doesn't suit me anymore, boo).

I *think* sober lane do one as well, maybe on a tuesday?

Other than that, the only ones I know about are the odd annual charity one, and they all tend to be around christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

east village do them on a thursday and they can be fair enough. We used to go for around 2 years and won probably a third in that time. They would try to stop the smart phone cheaters and the music rounds clips didnt seem long enough for them to use.
    That said there was cheating and it used to piss me right off. I remember one time after a particularly easy first round when I went to the bar a group were begging for answers from the barman whom they knew and me trying not to laugh at how bad they were doing.
    We got 2 out of 50 questions wrong and were runners up to that same bunch of dimwits who though a picture of capetown was bangkok.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭The_Banker

Im a big lover of table quizzes also and I have organised many for friends who were trying to raise funds for charity etc..
    I like going to them also but I have stopped recently due to the advent of the smart phone/iphone.

The only way I enjoy a quiz now is if there is a very strong quizmaster who deducts points from people who use mobile technology to get answers. This can be tough to do, especially if the majority of people are there to help raise money for a good cause.

So in effect the table quiz is dead for any serious table quiz contestant but if your happy with a "fun" table quiz then they are still enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I've tried the Sober Lane one, which is not really a table quiz at all. They just hand out sheets with the questions on them and you write out the answers (you find on the web) and hand them back. No quizmaster! It's only for fun, and I think the prize is a round of pizzas and beers or something, but I like the buzz of only having a limited time to answer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Nervosa

It looks like we are the last table quiz generation. It's sad. We'll probably have thousands of unemployed quizmasters by 2015. The government should do something! Tis' discrace Joe! :pac:

Didn't make it to the Bierhaus this Monday and I'll give the one last go next week. Sounds like Sober Lane is no craic.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I miss the good ol' days of non-phone quizzes.

There's one on tonight in the Vienna Woods hotel at 7.30pm. It'll be very strongly moderated (run by a gang of strict teachers :) ) and there'll be people walking around checking for smartphone use. The quizmaster will ask everyone to put their phones in the centre of the table at the start so it'll be harder for them to use them. The reception in Glanmire is crap anyway. But with the phones on the table there's no sneaky pocket web-surfing.

And it's for a great cause!

Advertisement