Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia losses top €1bn

Options
  • 26-01-2012 8:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

From Breaking News
    26/01/2012 - 11:58:39
    Struggling mobile phone maker Nokia has reported a net loss of €1.07bn for last year.

The one-time industry leader has been eclipsed by Apple and other smartphones running Google's Android software at the upper end of the market.

The company made a profit of €745 million in the same period in 2010.

Nokia said net revenue fell to €10bn, from €12.6bn in the fourth quarter of 2010, with smartphone sales plunging 23%.

The Finnish company is attempting a comeback with phones using Microsoft’s Windows software, and said it has sold “well over” one million such devices since they hit the stores in November in Europe and Asia, and the US in January.

The results do not reflect the deal between Nokia and Microsoft.

Read more: http://www.breakingnews.ie/business/nokia-losses-top-1bn-537355.html#ixzz1kamYrM4O

I'm not really surprised. Nokia have left it too long to release their new line of handsets. They are still desperately grasping on to an old ideal, I feel they have alienated new acute users. I guess we'll see in the next quarter report how the Windows software competes.

Has anyone used one yet?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

I am not suprised at all. I remember a time if you didnt have a Nokia you were odd. I have not seen anyone using a Nokia in ages..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

I have, the Lumia is actually a pretty decent phone and WP7 runs OK on it but it has a lot of ground to make up and to do that it needs something that really breaks the mould and breaks new ground, the Lumia unfortunately doesn't do that.

The N8 was an absolute disaster and Nokia needs to really pull a stunning device out soon to get some traction in the market and tear iOS and Android users away.

The Nexus One really showcased Android and brought it a good lot of users but wheres Nokia's WP7 device that will do the same? As decent as the Lumia is it's not that phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Nervosa

What realistically could they do? I know they are banking on the fact that user may want a Microsoft device but I can't see people jumping ships. Maybe they should target the business side where Blackberry "looks" to be falling off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

I have a Nokia Lumia 800 and its an excellent phone. When they get released here you should have a look for yourself. I'ts a lovely phone as all reviews point out. As for the OS again all reviews point out that it runs really well on it.

So far the Lumia has sold very well considering it was released in just a few countries in Europe and then recently in a few more. It has yet to be released in the US market. The Nokia Lumia 900 which is soon to be released in the US was shown at the CES in Las Vegas and was again received extremely well winning 13 awards at the show.

Nokia's target isn't to convert existing Apple iPhone or Android user's, there's a far far bigger market that don't have a smart phone and that's one of the markets they're aiming for. The other is the budget market where they want to sell cheaper Windows Phones. This is why Microsoft are releasing a Windows Phone Tango update which will support a different chassis which allows Nokia to build cheaper smart phones. It's expected that these will be revealed at the MWC 2012 show and also the Nokia Lumia 910.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,005 ✭✭✭kirving

They are tageting the business side, with Office and Skydrive being an integral part of WP7 - which is a fantastic OS with much more development possible. Yes, Nokia have lost a billion quid, but they had a lot to lose. Still just a big company going through a rough patch from which they'll recover.

Remember not 5 years ago when everyone laughed at how underspecced the iPhone was?

• Advertisement

-Corkie- wrote: »
    I am not suprised at all. I remember a time if you didnt have a Nokia you were odd. I have not seen anyone using a Nokia in ages..

Last year Nokia sold way more mobile phones than anyone else. 417 million compared to second placed Samsung who sold 327 million with Apple in 3rd place with 93 million.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

AntiVirus wrote: »
    Last year Nokia sold way more mobile phones than anyone else. 417 million compared to second placed Samsung who sold 327 million with Apple in 3rd place with 93 million.

Yes but the majority of the phones Nokia sold were basic dumb phones in the 3rd world market unlike Samsung, Apple and HTC who sold smartphones and that's where the real money is.

Venom wrote: »
    Yes but the majority of the phones Nokia sold were basic dumb phones in the 3rd world market unlike Samsung, Apple and HTC who sold smartphones and that's where the real money is.

In many of these emerging markets Nokia is king there.

Everyone knows the big money is the emerging markets. You would have to be a complete fool not to know this and to ignore this. What market do you think Tango is aimed for?

This thread isn't about Smart phones sales, its about where Nokia is heading. Anyway you've got your big 3 smart phone seller's wrong. It's Apple, Samsung and Nokia in that order. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

AntiVirus wrote: »
    In many of these emerging markets Nokia is king there.

Everyone knows the big money is the emerging markets. You would have to be a complete fool not to know this and to ignore this. What market do you think Tango is aimed for?

This thread isn't about Smart phones sales, its about where Nokia is heading. Anyway you've got your big 3 smart phone seller's wrong. It's Apple, Samsung and Nokia in that order. :pac:

Nokia may be King of the emerging markets but with a €1.07bn loss for the year they may as well be king snot of mucus mountain for all the good its doing them.

Venom wrote: »
    Nokia may be King of the emerging markets but with a €1.07bn loss for the year they may as well be king snot of mucus mountain for all the good its doing them.

Not if they can convert them into smart phone sales, that snot mucus mountain would be a gold mine for them.

Anyway Nokia has all ways know they would make a loss in q4 2011, they said so last summer and this hasn't come as a supprise to anyone. They are in a transition period at the moment. They expect to break even in q1 2012 and then be back in profit in q2 2012, thats their target.

This is whats expect from the analysts too, not just Nokia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭g0g

draffodx wrote: »
    The N8 was an absolute disaster and Nokia needs to really pull a stunning device out soon to get some traction in the market and tear iOS and Android users away
    Ah it wasn't (and still isn't!) THAT bad! I still love mine and looking forward to getting software upgrade soon. It does all of the essentials and what other phones have such a good camera, xenon flash, free GPS maps updated for life with guidance, wifi, FM transmitter etc etc. I still see it being sold by providers so is that not a sign that it did well enough and was/is popular?

Advertisement