Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Did Enda Kenny blame the Irish people for the crisis?

• 26-01-2012 8:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/kenny-mad-borrowing-sparked-crisis-537452.html

So, according to Enda, we are resoponsible for the current economic crisis. He can go and fúck himself if he is laying the blame on us, the Irish people. Between this and that other gog****e in Cork proposing that SOPA'esque bill, I cant help think that this shower are as bad as the last shower we got rid of.
    26/01/2012 - 18:46:40
    Ireland’s economic crisis was caused by people’s "mad" borrowing, Taoiseach Enda Kenny has told the Davos global gathering.
    In a discussion on ways out of the country’s worst recession on record, Mr Kenny told the summit in the Swiss Alps that easy credit spawned greed.
    “What happened in our country was that people simply went mad borrowing,” Mr Kenny said.
    “The extent of personal credit, personal wealth created on credit was done between people and banks – a system that spawned greed to a point where it just went out of control completely with a spectacular crash.
    “The country borrowed over €60bn at excessive rates and the IMF eventually came in with the Troika.”

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

It was the welfare cheats and pensioners. Oh and fordeners

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Anyone wrote: »
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/kenny-mad-borrowing-sparked-crisis-537452.html

So, according to Enda, we are resoponsible for the current economic crisis. He can go and fúck himself if he is laying the blame on us, the Irish people. Between this and that other gog****e in Cork proposing that SOPA'esque bill, I cant help think that this shower are as bad as the last shower we got rid of.

Shur didn't we loose the run of ourselfs and try to ate the world at wan sittin'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Ireland’s economic crisis was caused by people’s "mad" borrowing, Taoiseach Enda Kenny has told the Davos global gathering.

You know, I would rephrase that "mad lending".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Max_Charger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Telling us we weren't to blame when we clearly were is stunning hypocrisy. Now he tells Davos the truth when he knows we'll hear about it. What an idiot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

I heard he blamed every single Irish person not living in the Mayo electoral area...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

he didnt blame us BEFORE the election, barely a year later now we all borrowed like mad.... I'm seriously thinking of emailing him asking how I am being punished, as I returned to the country in late 2008, after many years abroad, and never borrowed a cent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭sanbrafyffe

well the truth has to be said and it is.irish people went over board borrowing so it shows ya the want in us as people.so ya hes blaming the irish people(not all) and the banks too.he cant be more right.well said enda

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

He's right in that no-one held a gun to people's heads to get them to borrow for a brand new car every year.
    People are to blame sure, but without a proper background check getting massive amounts of money lent to them?
    Rings of sub-prime mortages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

The banks, developers, government etc gave the people exactly what they wanted, without the greed that most people have, we wouldn't have a crisis..

Simple!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

He says this in front of the World Economic Forum? I thought we agreed we'd keep this amongst ourselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

He's right to blame the Irish people.

Not one person was given a loan against their will.

Anyone who doesn't realise that booms and recessions are part of a natural (economically at least) cycle shouldn't be trusted to go to the toilet on their own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

biko wrote: »
    He's right in that no-one held a gun to people's heads to get them to borrow for a brand new car every year.
    People are to blame sure, but without a proper background check getting massive amounts of money lent to them?
    Rings of sub-prime mortages.

Banks didn't give a fook, they were making a killling and probably knew that if sh1t hit the fan, the government would cover them, and as for the government helping us decide whether we should take a loan or not? We go on about "nanny stat" on a daily basis!

The people fooked up and now it's everyones fault but their own

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

What about seanie,bertie,buffo,mccreevy the last gubberment? i never borrowed a cent and saved for all i have, kenny some cheeky fook wit how dare he insult us

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Park Royal

I think he is suffering microphone hyper , he has done a few interviews and has

become over stimulated ......by the attention he has been given.....

either that or he is about to have a heart attack.....

for a politician of his years he forgot to put in the little word "some" people

got greedy.....not my people got greedy........

it maybe tiredness also......but his advisers should have stepped in and not

put him out there until he was fit .......

of course he may have forgot to take the tablets also....?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Wicklowrider

Just wondering did MOST people really go mad borrowing?
    Was this a certain section of society?

I can honestly only think of one couple I know who borrowed a lot more than they could afford. One or two single lads I knew were driving cars they probably shouldn't have borrowed for. If I look around my neighbours I can't say any of them done anything mildly extravagant (or even exciting :))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

He's right to blame the Irish people.

Not one person was given a loan against their will.

Anyone who doesn't realise that booms and recessions are part of a natural (economically at least) cycle shouldn't be trusted to go to the toilet on their own.

Well inda is an idiot because he told us on the nation address drivel that we were not to blame and now because he is in the Swiss alps he tells the truth probably thinking that we won't hear what he said!
    What a fool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

I'm devastated, I work 20 hours and this week I got 35, I was like great a bit of extra cash. I got paid 504, only to look to the side after all the government charges that I get paid 430, 70 in taxes, USC and PRSI. PRSI which I though was meant to be included in the USC.

I gave Labour my second vote because I though they would stick up for the low paid worker, how wrong I was.

I'm now 100% convinced they are all the same in the dail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Kenny is an incompetent who cannot field questions without a script, Its no wonder he was hidden away behind handlers during the election and he doesn't allow "doorstep" interviews.

He would not debate on TV3 and blamed Vincent Brown. Responding to a question about emigration in his own constituency, in the Dail last week he replied by saying that Knock airport was a great facility for people coming and going.

Then this week he declares that we are not going to have "defaulter" on our forehead. And now he describes the fiscal implosion of his country as being caused by mad borrowing.

I am sure he is a nice man but I don't believe that he is capable of leading this country, especially at a time like this. A large minority of his own party believed so until very recently.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Datsit

I think I was the only person in the country who couldn't get a mortgage in the boom........or was it that i just didn't lie to get it.

Later, got a smaller one, built a small house and now have small repayments.

The truth hurts, of course it's SOME and not ALL the gobsh*tes got greedy.

Tommy Tiernan said we were like a shower of teenagers, mammy and daddy left us to it and now that all the Tayto and Fanta is gone we want more pocket money:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

We did not all party

Was this a certain section of society?

I can honestly only think of one couple I know who borrowed a lot more than they could afford. One or two single lads I knew were driving cars they probably shouldn't have borrowed for. If I look around my neighbours I can't say any of them done anything mildly extravagant (or even exciting :))

For sure, my brother in law was one of them. He borrowed all around him and maxed out credit cards to keep a failing company afloat. His company was never going to work. While he was wining and dining in Milan I was minding his kids.

Now he's whining and dying.......and of course it's the banks fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

hawkelady wrote: »
    Well inda is an idiot because he told us on the nation address drivel that we were not to blame and now because he is in the Swiss alps he tells the truth probably thinking that we won't hear what he said!
    What a fool

You're right. By the time the mail coach leaves Geneva with the news, people will not care anymore.

Clever stuff Enda...

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I borrowed £1,200 in 2000 when I was moving to Dublin, had it paid off in 3 months, that's the only money I ever borrowed from any Financial Institution so if Enda thinks he can blame me he can take his opinion and shove it up his hoop!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Look, we all played a part in it. Just like we all played a part in blowing innocent people up and raping kids for all those years.

Now get back to hatin' yourselves and do as The Man says.

I'm in my late 20s and never borrowed. I earned a wage and spent it or saved it if I wanted something costly. I know many more people my own age who were the same. Worked and saved. Some had credit cards.
    We don't have mortgages. We don't have cars. The very few who do worked and saved. Basically we were all very careful financially.

On my own road however there are some new houses but I don't know the people or their financial situation and lifestyles.

There's one alright who went completely mad but that's his own business.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,595 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

um...in his state of the nation address last November, he specifically said that this wasn't our fault. bit of a mixed message there. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

What else would you expect from a grade A bollocks. I wouldn't be surprised if he asked Führer Merkel for her autograph during their first meeting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

Well his day will come and Gilmore to traitors..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

Datsit wrote: »
    For sure, my brother in law was one of them. He borrowed all around him and maxed out credit cards to keep a failing company afloat. His company was never going to work. While he was wining and dining in Milan I was minding his kids.

Now he's whining and dying.......and of course it's the banks fault.

Muppet. It's people like this that only have themselves to blame.

Trying to keep up a facade of prosperity...pathetic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    Kenny is an incompetent who cannot field questions without a script, Its no wonder he was hidden away behind handlers during the election and he doesn't allow "doorstep" interviews.

He would not debate on TV3 and blamed Vincent Brown. Responding to a question about emigration in his own constituency, in the Dail last week he replied by saying that Knock airport was a great facility for people coming and going.

Then this week he declares that we are not going to have "defaulter" on our forehead. And now he describes the fiscal implosion of his country as being caused by mad borrowing.

I am sure he is a nice man but I don't believe that he is capable of leading this country, especially at a time like this. A large minority of his own party believed so until very recently.
    +1
    His empty promises during the election campaign are now ringing true.
    "I want to get the country working again" and "employment for everyone" statements were never really going to come true, were they?
    Fact is, that we are a fickle bunch that carried so much hatred for FF, a blind guide dog could have gotten elected for FG at the time.

Now here we are tearing him a new ass-hole for being, well, himself.

I don't agree with him, I think it was a combination of things. People are greedy, yes. So are governments. So are banks, etc, etc.

To tar everyone on the island of Ireland with the same brush while acting leader of the country, beggars belief to be honest.

He is not the one to get out of this mess that is for sure, but then again, who is?

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Slozer

Enda is of course right, we are to blame and as long as we keep voting them in we will always be to blame. In fact we won't only be to blame, we will also be made to pay.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

People are idiots, the reason there is any such thing as a government at all is to protect us from ourselves, to tell us what we can and can't do and to regulate. People would take a kick up the arse if they were readily available. If I'm lending all my money to people without much thought of how they're going to pay me back then I'm ultimately responsible.

In summary, fúck you Enda Kenny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Yes but people can't help their pride sometimes. This recession is a disease that has gripped the country and killed people. It's terrible to see. I never had much money, but still, I feel embarrassed that I have less now.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭benagain

shame on us , we elected the self serving bastards to sell us out. lunatics really are running the asylum.

• Advertisement

Bad Panda wrote: »
    Muppet. It's people like this that only have themselves to blame.

Trying to keep up a facade of prosperity...pathetic.

Themselves to blame but us to pick up the tab,,,,,f**king great.

I can't help but be pi**ed at some people that clearly helped bring us to where we are.

Lending and borrowing, banking, personal debts brought about due to poor decisions is only some of Irelands problems.

The other half:
    The over spending of the exchequer - who's at fault there?

FF built this economy on greed for their own gains over inflating their pockets and many sectors and encouraged the breeding grounds for a bubble. They built this economy on the back of this bubble. Apparently we all voted for this as if we were economists and as if we were to know it would lead to a failed economy. Were the nation outside the dail on budget days chanting MORE MORE MORE. No doubt, people did become materalistic happy with money and what that could buy them and with this people slept walked right into this mess blindly while FF filled their pockets with pay rises. I knew something was a amiss during the boom but it only all came together like a jigsaw within the past 18 months.

They were put there to do a job. To care for this country. They took advantage of their power. They failed. We failed. We took our eye of the ball. We're paying for that now. Are they?

Where was the leader of the oppostion in all this. It was their job to offer an alternative. They didn't. They were shouting for more, more, more spending.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Well, people wanted loans for various reasons. The market was there. Banks are businesses at the end of the day. What were they to do? They either put out their capital for loans or they got left behind as people would use their rivals.
    So who's to blame?
    The banks for lending too much to people who might have bother paying it back?
    The people for taking out these big mortgages?
    Where was the financial regulator in all of this?
    Did the government try to slow things down?

People say it's a mess and that's what it is. Enda can lay the blame anywhere he wants (except himself and his colleagues of course). But the thing is there isn't any one party to blame. It's the system.

Just my 2 cents.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

he is dead right. it was crazy greed by some people who got us in this boat.
    he is hardly talking about average joe who just wanted a better life. If all we had to worry about were the average folks who went a little mad then we would be laughing. the scale of our problem is a lot bigger than that.

It is those who went spectacularly mad that have us all looking to leave the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

What else would you expect from a grade A bollocks. I wouldn't be surprised if he asked Führer Merkel for her autograph during their first meeting.

Post of the day, I just piss** myself when I read it!! Although I feel a little sad because it is more than likely true!! A joke of a leader

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Pissmire

I haven't heard his speech. Did he mention the German banks elbowing each other out of the way to lend us money? I'd love to seen Merkels face when he said that. I'll bet it was something.

ppink wrote: »
    he is dead right. it was crazy greed by some people who got us in this boat.
    he is hardly talking about average joe who just wanted a better life. If all we had to worry about were the average folks who went a little mad then we would be laughing. the scale of our problem is a lot bigger than that.

It is those who went spectacularly mad that have us all looking to leave the country.

Absolutely.

Like the select few who borrowed to build housing estates, hotels, shopping centres.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

In fairness, he does have a point.

I find it a bit ironic that they go to one of the most expensive ski resorts in the world to discuss the world's economic problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Joshua Jones

Ah Enda, Tsun Szu would be proud.

Well played sir, well played.

*slow clap*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

msg11 wrote: »
    I'm devastated, I work 20 hours and this week I got 35, I was like great a bit of extra cash. I got paid 504, only to look to the side after all the government charges that I get paid 430, 70 in taxes, USC and PRSI. PRSI which I though was meant to be included in the USC.

I gave Labour my second vote because I though they would stick up for the low paid worker, how wrong I was.

I'm now 100% convinced they are all the same in the dail.
    You are complaining because you paid a total of less than 14% in tax, get a life!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

His new nickname: Enda the Traitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

Twas me and me big ideas with me 3 buy to lets :o

Shouldnt of gotten above me station:rolleyes:

At least yas are bailing me out lads WOOP

"Pukes in the Sink"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭mongoman

Pissmire wrote: »
    I haven't heard his speech. Did he mention the German banks elbowing each other out of the way to lend us money? I'd love to seen Merkels face when he said that. I'll bet it was something.

He is an Irish politician after all, so the oul backbone department is undoubtedly lacking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Crazy Horse 6

He's right i'm afraid. Ya seen it everywhere fecking plebs driving audi's and the like with their mountain bikes hanging off the back and young ones driving mini coppers with the big over sized sunglasses, all bought on credit. Greed was everywhere and now everyone is paying the price except the protected elites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

It was nothing to do with the banks and developers going down the crapper, egged on by the global crash?

What a relief it is, finally knowing the truth.

:eek:

• Advertisement
Advertisement