Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Did Enda Kenny blame the Irish people for the crisis?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Salt001

This is the man that we elected :eek:.
    Mind you there wasn't much of a choice.
    The majority of people in the country are going to feel totally betrayed by his statement .
    Honestly are they all smoking crack or wha??? :mad:
    Between Leo telling us things aint that bad and we will all be able to take a holiday this year,the Sherlock git trying to drive thousands of jobs out of the country and Enda, there are days i just can't believe my ears when I listen to the news :confused:
    Not to mention the larrier that said emigration was a lifestyle choice.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

the uproar is hlarious... bout time he spoke some home truths to the people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

msg11 wrote: »
    I'm devastated, I work 20 hours and this week I got 35, I was like great a bit of extra cash. I got paid 504, only to look to the side after all the government charges that I get paid 430, 70 in taxes, USC and PRSI. PRSI which I though was meant to be included in the USC.

I gave Labour my second vote because I though they would stick up for the low paid worker, how wrong I was.

I'm now 100% convinced they are all the same in the dail.

So you thought by voting labour that...what?...you wouldnt have to pay tax?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭colly10

He has just said that the Irish people are the victims of bad banking decisions and poor political leadership live on primetime 5 minutes ago.
    So his reasons depend on who he's speaking to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Anyone wrote: »
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/kenny-mad-borrowing-sparked-crisis-537452.html

So, according to Enda, we are resoponsible for the current economic crisis. He can go and fúck himself if he is laying the blame on us, the Irish people. Between this and that other gog****e in Cork proposing that SOPA'esque bill, I cant help think that this shower are as bad as the last shower we got rid of.
    26/01/2012 - 18:46:40
    Ireland’s economic crisis was caused by people’s "mad" borrowing, Taoiseach Enda Kenny has told the Davos global gathering.
    In a discussion on ways out of the country’s worst recession on record, Mr Kenny told the summit in the Swiss Alps that easy credit spawned greed.
    “What happened in our country was that people simply went mad borrowing,” Mr Kenny said.
    “The extent of personal credit, personal wealth created on credit was done between people and banks – a system that spawned greed to a point where it just went out of control completely with a spectacular crash.
    “The country borrowed over €60bn at excessive rates and the IMF eventually came in with the Troika.”

I think he left out the word "some" which is a massive oversight.

Maybe I should email him stating that "politicians are corrupt bastards" and leave out the most pertinent word "some" and see how he likes inaccurate sweeping generalisations ?

Of course, the difference is that I'm not in a position to hit the prick in the pocket for the goings-on of Callely, Ahern & O'Donoghue, so my description would just be slander instead of having a real impact on his life.

Gob****e!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

V_Moth wrote: »
    His new nickname: Enda the Traitor.

Not very catchy
    Try enda the benda (spoken in cockney accent)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Woodsocks

Salt001 wrote: »
    This is the man that we elected :eek:.
    Mind you there wasn't much of a choice.
    The majority of people in the country are going to feel totally betrayed by his statement .
    Honestly are they all smoking crack or wha??? :mad:
    Between Leo telling us things aint that bad and we will all be able to take a holiday this year,the Sherlock git trying to drive thousands of jobs out of the country and Enda, there are days i just can't believe my ears when I listen to the news :confused:
    Not to mention the larrier that said emigration was a lifestyle choice.
    LOL ! What is a larrier ? Do you mean that blubber headed baldie cute hoor from limerick who still thinks his talking to the kids he used to school.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭LaVail

Truths? I can tell you that I don't owe the banks/credit unions or anyone else for that matter as much as a cent. I worked hard when there was work, didn't buy new cars or build houses. I cut my cloth to measure. I don't like being branded with the same brush as others just because they overspent.

Yet idiots like me who did nothing wrong get classed as the reason that this country is fcked.

Its about time somebody stood up to all in government and started telling them a few home truths and not the other way around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

colly10 wrote: »
    He has just said that the Irish people are the victims of bad banking decisions and poor political leadership live on primetime 5 minutes ago.
    So his reasons depend on who he's speaking to

is this true? if so thats now 3 times he has contradicted himself on the issue, also I can think of at least 1 other issue where 2 times he changed his mind..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/kenny-mad-borrowing-sparked-crisis-537452.html

So, according to Enda, we are resoponsible for the current economic crisis. He can go and fúck himself if he is laying the blame on us, the Irish people. Between this and that other gog****e in Cork proposing that SOPA'esque bill, I cant help think that this shower are as bad as the last shower we got rid of.

I hate to say this.....

But ireland did get greedy its true!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Snowie wrote: »
    I hate to say this.....

But ireland did get greedy its true!

Particularly the banks, the developers and some high-flying "indestructible" billionaires. They were assisted by deaf dumb and blind regulators and FF politicians.

They all got caught with their pants down when they couldn't borrow their way out of the global meltdown, and as a result cost the country its reputation and thousands upon thousands of jobs.:(

I'm glad I wasn't one of the ones who thought the good days were never going to end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

People are idiots, the reason there is any such thing as a government at all is to protect us from ourselves, to tell us what we can and can't do and to regulate. People would take a kick up the arse if they were readily available. If I'm lending all my money to people without much thought of how they're going to pay me back then I'm ultimately responsible.

In summary, fúck you Enda Kenny.

Would thank twice if possible.

I wonder did Kenny mention his fat salary, pension and perks and the handy well-paid made up jobs he's been giving to his mates while he boasted about the hard times in Ireland. :rolleyes:

Just another careerist, in it for the gravy train and power.

Not bad for a teacher. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

Not every irish person "needed" to have the holiday home or the new car every year not to mention the 5 bed detached house with only parents and a kid living in it.Now the tax payer will be asked out to bail these greedy people when they deafault on their bills. But hey, thats ok because we're all partied to excess. F. That

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

LaVail wrote: »
    Truths? I can tell you that I don't owe the banks/credit unions or anyone else for that matter as much as a cent. I worked hard when there was work, didn't buy new cars or build houses. I cut my cloth to measure. I don't like being branded with the same brush as others just because they overspent.

Yet idiots like me who did nothing wrong get classed as the reason that this country is fcked.

Its about time somebody stood up to all in government and started telling them a few home truths and not the other way around.

He said people went mad with borrowing. Not everyone. Lots of paranoia in this thread. The people who borrowed too much know who they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Enda Kenny.

Ex-Thunderbird.

Hair made of the stuff the lego mens' hair is made of.

Total dipshit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

Maybe its because he saw me pass him one day back in mayo i was driving a
    Mercedes Benz CLK-Class 09 maybe that got to him...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

patwicklow wrote: »
    Maybe its because he saw me pass him one day back in mayo i was driving a
    Mercedes Benz CLK-Class 09 maybe that got to him...

so how many times has it been to the garage? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

People are idiots, the reason there is any such thing as a government at all is to protect us from ourselves, to tell us what we can and can't do and to regulate. People would take a kick up the arse if they were readily available. If I'm lending all my money to people without much thought of how they're going to pay me back then I'm ultimately responsible.

In summary, fúck you Enda Kenny.

The sad thing is that that's not true. Legally it is the person who was loaned the money who is responsible. Load a bollix when financial institutions were inept.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

You know that person you thought was your friend, but actually talks about you behind your back............. That's Enda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭NakedNNettles

Lot of dirty FFailers on here.

Anyway FG have to fix the country now, no thanks to the people who voted FF in time after time.....short memories and all that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I couldn't believe my ears when I heard his " speech" on the radio.
    It was absolutely disgusting & showed a total contempt for the people of thus country who he was there to represent.
    How DARE a "leader" of a country stand up at an international forum & call the people if the country he is paid to represent " greedy"
    You would never hear any other politician dare to call his customers who he serves greedy.
    This from the man who s Obamas speech for a world televised event & thought Boone would notice or care.
    And whose TDs : The useless Alan Farrel has been caught trying to give his wife his old councillor job under her UNMARRIED name; having already given his brother a free ride onto the council by co- opting him as an jnellected councillor.

Kennys remarks were deeply offensive & degrading to the people of Ireland.
    He should publicly & profusely apologise .

If a CEO if a company called his customers greedy they would walk away in droves.
    I hope Dail Eireann is buried in letters of complaint ; people should let this man know that this internationally broadcast public attack & demeaning insulting personalised slur on the Ordinary people of hhis country is totally disgusting & unacceptable.

Im also guessing he flew first class, stayed in a five star hotel, claimed massive expenses & drew his 30k a month salary while he was there " representing" the " greedy " citizens of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭mconigol

Look, we all played a part in it. Just like we all played a part in blowing innocent people up and raping kids for all those years.

Now get back to hatin' yourselves and do as The Man says.

Well you're actually correct about the second part, people over a certain age anyway. Every man and his dog knew what the church was at but very few did a thing. When I was a kid you were regularly warned by your parents not to allow yourself yourself be left with the priest alone.

Irish people need to learn to take some responsibility.

The fact of the matter is that the Irish people did play a significant role in the downfall of the country. They continually voted in Fianna Fail and accepted all their bull****, they allowed the countryside as well as the towns to be overdeveloped with poor planning and on top of this large numbers of people lived on cheap credit.

Not everyone is directly to blame, but just as those people who stood by while the church worked their way through any child under the age of 18 they could lay their hands on, they are in some way indirectly to blame for not putting a stop to it, as are people that stood by while the country devoured itself.

Also did I mention that the majority of people in the country repeatedly elected Bertie Aherne to run the place?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

Lot of dirty FFailers on here.

Anyway FG have to fix the country now, no thanks to the people who voted FF in time after time.....short memories and all that.

What's that comment got to do with the price of beetroot???
    This thread is about kenny having no clue what's going on and giving 3 different answers to the same question depending on who he is speaking to!!! Complete muppet, as was said earlier a blind dog would do a classier job!!!!

A public representative calling the people he represents " greedy" is disgusting & unacceptable.

A proper and unreservedly apology for the degrading comments & mass generalisation & slur on this nations character is required.

If it was any other country there would be riots on the street .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Does anyone ever take responsibility for their actions anymore???

The fact is Enda is now correct after being incorrect in December.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

efb wrote: »
    Does anyone ever take responsibility for their actions anymore???

The fact is Enda is now correct after being incorrect in December.

Yet he gave a different answer on primetime last night. If he keeps giving interviews I'm sure he will get it right eventually!!!! He should be gagged.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

Cant you see Enda is mickey teasing us? Blowing all hot and cold on the irish electorate. Classic

cock tease
    1. A politician who is usually significantly more attractive than the electorate that appears to be on the electorates side. Will flirt with them a lot and get them to spend a lot of money (on the banks) for the prospect of Prosperity, and then abruptly **** them over (in the figurative sense of course) by never talking to them again and/or dumping the **** out of them via the classic "insult them at the World Economic Forum" in Davos with the "mad" borrowing frenzy method.

:D:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Crazy Horse 6

I did'nt borrow a single cent during the so called "boom times". Enda can go fck himself how dare he tar everyone with the same brush.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

He didn't say 'all the people'

Y; that any person/ work professional would be capable of making this type of unthought through, unsubstantiated & deeply unfrofessional & insulting repeated statement at a high profile international media event is deeply worrying.

That he dosnt see the problem with it & hasn't made a high profile media apology is even worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,073 ✭✭✭Xenophile

So he left out the word "some." So what is this big hoohaa about?

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

I did'nt borrow a single cent during the so called "boom times". Enda can go fck himself how dare he tar everyone with the same brush.

i'm sure it was a generalisation, he MAY have been referreing to those who contributed to the situation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭NakedNNettles

Kenny's right.

The truth hurts, but that will happen to those who had big egos driving round in their flashy beemers and showcasing their Dallas style mansions all on the borrowed dough. Combination of greed, power and drunk on money.

I'd prefer to hear the truth than listen to more BS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

some people here seem to be debating the validity of endas swiss comments. but imo the main issue is the hypocritical nature of making an address to the people on RTE previous to this saying something completely different. this is UNNACCEPTABLE behaviour and, added to the other questionable things said recently by other party members is showing up FG as being the lying bunch of Pr**ks we suspected who seem to be on a different wavelength to the irish people.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I'd have more of a problem with the "not your fault" guff he came out with on TV last month. The real issue here is his thinking he has to sugar coat the message to the Irish people.

Like someone else consistently elected governments that advocated light touch financial regulation and giveaway budgets funded by booming stamp study and construction industry tax returns? Or someone else mortgaged themselves up to the hilt to buy property with insane valuations.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Jon_459

Whether it's true or not, last month in his "State of the Nation" he told us we were not at fault and we didn't cause this mess.

Then he does a complete u-turn (surprise surprise) and says it's our fault.

Hypocrisy at its best.

I’ve emailed him to tell him that -- taoiseach@taoiseach.gov.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

This from the man who s Obamas speech for a world televised event & thought Boone would notice or care.

Ehhh, just read this bit and decided that the rest of your post wasnt worth reading, im sure it was very nice though.
    Taoiseach Enda Kenny has defended his use of part of US President Barack Obama's election speech saying the duplication was deliberate and designed as a tribute.
    Speaking on RTE's Six One, Mr Kenny said he had a copy of the original speech hanging in his office.
    Mr Kenny said the problems identified by Mr Obama were universal and also applied in Ireland.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0524/kennye.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Judging by the outcry here, the truth hurts

when i hear people in outrage going "i'm in such massive debt and the bank should never have given me this money"...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

True or not

You DO NOT RUN DOWN YOUR OWN PEOPLE in front of the world media

You have done terrible damage to yourself Kenny

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

So, according to Enda, we are resoponsible for the current economic crisis.

Few people born in the 80s had much to do with it.

The primary culprits were born between the 40s and 70s. Your parents, your older siblings. Regular joes with the new car every year, the 3 apartments rented to Poles who have long since left, the Bulgarian "investment" flat. I always like to think of the Irish public as delinquent kids and the banks/FF as merely feckless parents. Ireland today is full of retards blaming Bertie and "da bleedin bankers" rather than their own family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭seanmc1980

The masses in general are not really to balme. I do accept that a large amount of people went over board in the boom with hols and houses etc but really how much does this make up of the counties debt?
    The major problems ireland has is its over spending by 20bl a year the gov didn't look a week ahead to see that stamp duty income at the level they were getting it at was unsustainable, that has nothing to do with debt, its got to do with poor government policy past and present.
    the second problem again is a mistake by the government, the bank guarntee and covering the banks losses. major **** up if we let economic take its course we wouldn't have the bank debt hanging over our head!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭mattser

Kenny is absolutely correct. And for those who are whining " I didn't borrow a cent ", read what he said. He says people, not all the people.
    And he looks and sounds well in an early morning interview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I'm not going to get offended by the statement, he left out the word "some", I know I'm not part of this collection of people the same as a fair few who have complained on this and countless other economic collapse threads. The fact of the matter is that what he said was not incorrect albeit only part, although significant, of an obvious explanation.

Now my problem is that announcement, in front of an international forum, shows Ireland's elected leader to be either extremely two-faced or incompetently stupid.......or both. I can only see this statement killing off any belief / confidence that the Irish electorate had in him. Can he remain in charge if he has lost the people? He came close to losing control of his party not so long ago, do FG still believe in him as a leader?

But then again, Aherne told people to kill themselves in an effort to belittle the spread of sound economic advice and sure he got re-elected so I'm fairly certain Kenny will be just fine after this.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

of course people went mad, but that's what people will always do, its the mob mentality. Just look at that fight in the bogball the other day, people probably with jobs and families losing control of themselves.

But that is where the government is suppose to work, its to stop us losing control by having a regulator, who is suppose to see when things are ****ed up,

Its the regulator who ****ed up most of all, now where is he again? oh ya retired on a big fat pension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Park Royal

theteal wrote: »
    I'm not going to get offended by the statement, he left out the word "some", I know I'm not part of this collection of people the same as a fair few who have complained on this and countless other economic collapse threads. The fact of the matter is that what he said was not incorrect albeit only part, although significant, of an obvious explanation.

Now my problem is that announcement, in front of an international forum, shows Ireland's elected leader to be either extremely two-faced or incompetently stupid.......or both. I can only see this statement killing off any belief / confidence that the Irish electorate had in him. Can he remain in charge if he has lost the people? He came close to losing control of his party not so long ago, do FG still believe in him as a leader?

But then again, Aherne told people to kill themselves in an effort to belittle the spread of sound economic advice and sure he got re-elected so I'm fairly certain Kenny will be just fine after this.[/QUOTE]

Dear Theteal, how Berties words have come home to roost.....but regretfully

SOME of our people are killing themselves as a result of his and his

governments terms in office.......yes directly as a result of his governments

administration of our little country...... if you are the captain of the ship and

you , yes you crash it , you are criminally responsible.......so why is the DDP

not taking these FF people to court and charging them for the deaths of so

many Irish people.....? Bertie and his cabinet are in the dock for the

deaths...together with the regulator and Central Bank Boards.....

If you take the money for the job , you must take the responsibility as well

now DPP do your job , your being paid for.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

mattser wrote: »
    Kenny is absolutely correct. And for those who are whining " I didn't borrow a cent ", read what he said. He says people, not all the people.

This is so true.

Similar to Noonan's emigration comments being taken deliberately out of context, people are clutching at every opportunity to denigrate the Govt, who are in this situation due to no fault but their predecessors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Xenophile wrote: »
    So he left out the word "some." So what is this big hoohaa about?

Try leaving out the word "some" when referring to a country or race and see how you get on!

"All Roma are thieves"
    "All Nigerians are spongers"
    "All travellers are drunken idiots"
    (*not my actual views)
    "All politicians are corrupt, self-serving fvcks"

The difference is that an organisation or two will tackle you on the above.

But the idiot Taoiseach is allowed to be racist and slander his own country ?

Just because I had the misfortune to live on the same island as Quinn & Fitz he can claim I'm stupid and greedy ?

It exposes and underlying (false) mindset too - that if we're all guilty then it's OK to have us all feel the pain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭seanknowsall

I think we need to accept a certain degree of responsibility here... Yes the reckless lending by banks is the main reason for out woes but hold on .... no one put a gun to our heads and told us to keep borrowing. We all know of the greedy couples... typically a guard/farmer/plumber married to a nurse/teacher/ etc... buying properties for letting like they were going out of fashion. The small town builder who had to have the second and third property.......of course Ireland wasnt "zeitgeist" enough ... it had to be in bloody Bulgaria, the most corrupt cesspit in Europe!! I know people, we all do, who went mental spending... Gardens decked to the hilt, enough conservatories to harness sunlight to power Europe, 3 foreign holidays a year, eating out every Friday, Saturday and Sunday, holy communions that were like royal weddings.... so for us to start saying its all the government's, bank's fault etc is hypocritical. I not talking about the thousands who bought a home, which is a normal process most of us try to do in our lives, but the disgusting, obscene and vulgar displays of borrowed money that was so evident in the boom..... People looked down on the careful...I saw myself having the piss ripped out of me in 2006 because I bought a second hand car (1999).... "I was tight", "I didnt earn as much as the lads etc etc", well I having the last laugh now... One of those gob****es lost his business, wife and two kids... another is in rented accomodation after losing the house... I tipped away quietly and ran up no bills and I luckily still have my job and am buying a place this year.... great bargain it is!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

It would be interesting to know how many here who took out mortgages either
    A) lied on their mortgage application about their earnings
    B) borrowed money based on them having a 5% or 8% which was actually borrowed from the credit union

• Advertisement
Advertisement