Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycle all confused after the pill :(

Options
  • 26-01-2012 8:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭

I came off the pill (yasmin) over 5 months ago because myself and himself wanted to start making little postpeople :D I had been on it for 7 years on and off and naively thought that there'd be a big bright lightbulb switched on in my uterus and that'd be that, normal business resumes :o Since then, my cycle has been all over the place. My first AF after yasmin took 8 weeks to arrive and since then, it's been swinging between 6-8 weeks so I don't know where I'm at. Would I be right in thinking that I should be ovulating 2 weeks after the start of AF regardless of how long my cycle is? And will my cycle ever go back to the 31-32 days it was (oh those glory days of yore!) pre-yasmin???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

I went on Ovrunette for 5 months and my cycle has been squiffy since! Anything from 30 days to 47 days!

I think you need to give yourself a good year for the effects of the pill to be properly out of your system, especially as you were on it for so long.

As a rule, you ovulate appx 14 days before the start of your period. So if you have a 28 day cycle, you ovulate day 14. If you have a 30 day cycle, you ovulate day 16. If you have a 40 day cycle, you ovulate day 26. You get the picture?

However, this is just a rule of thumb! Every woman is different as can be every cycle! The only way to get any idea of when you ovulate will be to chart your cycle. There are those better informed than me on this site who can guide you with charting.

Hope this helps :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Thanks :D I was working backwards so calculating 14 days AFTER the start of my period. I guess I'll have to get an ovulation monitor to pin it down exactly :)

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭meggysmom

hi there,charting is the only way to know for sure and check if you are ovulating.Check out www.fertilityfriend.com. Invest in a basal body thermometer at any chemist and take your temp every morning once you wake.You then record this on your chart.Fertility friend will do the work.Using basal thermometer will only let you know that you have ovulated and not give you a heads up when it will happen.Using ovulation predictor kits will give you a better idea of when it will hapen so you can get busy before it happens.Only intercourse before ovultion and the day of will result in pregnancy.
    I found this great as I was at least happy that I was ovulating and was doing all i could to achieve pregnancy every month,saying that we have been trying to conceive #2 for 13 months and i am scheduled now for lap and dye and d&c plus checking for endometreosis next week as although i am ovulating its painful and they need to get in there and check everythings ok.You should by right get your period anywhere from 14-16 days after you ovulate.If I were you I would start charting straight away as if you feel you need to see someone over time if you havent fallen pregnant it gives them a better idea of what might be going on.Best of luck to you.It may take a while to regulate your cycles after the pill so try not to stress to much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Not that it's much re-assurance but 3 years off the pill and my cycle is 25-47 days long. Most I've had of the same length was three months last summer, all over the place again since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

hiya all
    my cycles are 72-75 days in length. Iv just realised its hard to have regular AF's wish there was somethin we could do to keep them as short regular cycles.
    everyone says im lucky i dont gotta put up with AF, well I dont feel lucky

• Advertisement
Advertisement