Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best CMS to learn

Options
  • 26-01-2012 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hi All, i want to start learning a CMS and am undecided between Drupal, Joomla and WordPress. I have seen other threads on the subject but they are pretty old, any advice much appreciated or if you can point me to another thread. Thx james.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭TonyStark

corman007 wrote: »
    Hi All, i want to start learning a CMS and am undecided between Drupal, Joomla and WordPress. I have seen other threads on the subject but they are pretty old, any advice much appreciated or if you can point me to another thread. Thx james.

For development or for general use?

There are some excellent .NET ones

- Orchard
    - EPiServer
    - DotNetNuk

to name a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 corman007

Both really, i am not familiar with .NET at all but have some background in PHP.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

Recently I've been looking at websites (the source). I'm trying to update my skills.

I'm seeing a really varied mix in how websites are being put together. I'm not really that familiar with Content Management Systems. I'm wondering are they really all that worthwhile.

How much of the actual content of your production do you have control over - or can even see?

Is there much to be learned, that's specific to each CMS?

Just from past experiences. I don't want to put the energy into learning something that will only have very limited use.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

krd wrote: »
    Just from past experiences. I don't want to put the energy into learning something that will only have very limited use.

WordPress would have the highest usage, by an order of magnitude, so it's a very useful one to get skilled up in. After that, I'd be tempted to pick something like Expression Engine - still built on PHP (their own CodeIgniter framework).

http://trends.builtwith.com/cms

Advertisement