Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steam App available in the Android and Apple app market

Options
  • 26-01-2012 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭

Steam have just released an app for both iOS and for Android. I downloaded it and signed in. Got my Steam guard code sent to me but it wont let me in since I'm not in the beta.
    Who is?

Apparently you can access Community features as well as browse the store and mak purchases. It would be pretty sweet if you could also do remote installs but I doubt that'll a feature at launch, if at all really.

http://store.steampowered.com/mobile
    SM_Devices.png

Here's a thread from the Steam forums about it. Seems like it's a closed beta but try to sign in to register your interest in getting in on it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

Weird - was talking about the likelihood of a Steam app with friends over the weekend and here it is! Will see if I can get in.

Edit: Nope, I can't.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

came here to post this. by trying you get added to the list anyway

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Happy to see this development! Looking forward to trying it out . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

So we can now buy mobile games via steam and play them on our phones?

didnt see that coming :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Completionist

Great, Now there is no escape from spending money we did not mean to spend during the sales:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

dreamers75 wrote: »
    So we can now buy mobile games via steam and play them on our phones?

didnt see that coming :p
    I really cant tell if you're being serious. :confused:

The answer is no, anyway. You wont be able to buy games on your phone via Steam app and play them on your phones.

The answer is no, anyway. You wont be able to buy games on your phone via Steam app and play them on your phones.

Seriously?

Why would they not do this :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭KilOit

Seriously?

Steam games aren't ios games they're pc games

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Seriously?

There is no indication at the moment that Valve will start selling games for the mobile market, although I guess it may happen.

This app allows you to buy games on the go and play them on your PC/Mac and also use the Steam Community functions whilst on the go.

Im using it at the moment, and its pretty neat.

Steam would be the 3rd biggest direct to "drive" seller in the world after Android Market and the Apple one.

Why in the name of jaysis would they not want a piece of the pie they created :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Steam would be the 3rd biggest direct to "drive" seller in the world after Android Market and the Apple one.

Why in the name of jaysis would they not want a piece of the pie they created :confused:

It might happen on android but apple won't allow it.

I'm in the beta on android. Have an invite to give out. Who wants it?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

me!

It might happen on android but apple won't allow it.

Apple who craved Steam/Valve games for their OS and paid top dollar for the Valve ones? Why would they cut off one hand to spite the other? is the other hand worth far more?

Its only a matter of time till Steam sells mobile games to mobile devices, hope your all taking the piss the with your disbelief of this eventuality.

ShaneU wrote: »
    me!
    Steam id??

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Steam id??

shanesg

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Willard

This will be altogether too handy for steam sale season. So cheap.. So tempting. redface.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

I guess this is sorta related !

CS 1.6 for mobiles ! Class, gonna give it a go tomorrow.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1447157

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

http://steamcommunity.com/id/lethal_bullet

Pls pls pls :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

Apple who craved Steam/Valve games for their OS and paid top dollar for the Valve ones? Why would they cut off one hand to spite the other? is the other hand worth far more?

Its only a matter of time till Steam sells mobile games to mobile devices, hope your all taking the piss the with your disbelief of this eventuality.

The main issue with selling them on iOS is the pricing agreement. In-app sales mean a % of the sale goes to Apple, Amazon didn't want to share that an have put in work arounds and I can't see Valve bending too much to Apple. Also Apple allowing a competing platform to sell games on the "Single Biggest Gaming Format On The Planet"? Even if they do get a cut of the revenue it's probably against their terms of service and their own goals for iOS along with giving away a little bit of control of apps published on their platform. So either Valve will be an exception that others will make noise about or they'll have to make changes.

I notice the Shop Steam section doesn't mention anything about buying games but just a way to get information. "Browse the extensive Steam library of Windows and Mac titles from your phone. Find out about Steam sales wherever you are." Stage one of the app deployment, just wait till the Mann Co. store gets added! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Robby91

just wait till the Mann Co. store gets added
    I wouldn't mind some hats for my phone tbh... :P

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Mantel wrote: »
    The main issue with selling them on iOS is the pricing agreement. In-app sales mean a % of the sale goes to Apple, Amazon didn't want to share that an have put in work arounds and I can't see Valve bending too much to Apple. Also Apple allowing a competing platform to sell games on the "Single Biggest Gaming Format On The Planet"? Even if they do get a cut of the revenue it's probably against their terms of service and their own goals for iOS along with giving away a little bit of control of apps published on their platform. So either Valve will be an exception that others will make noise about or they'll have to make changes.

I notice the Shop Steam section doesn't mention anything about buying games but just a way to get information. "Browse the extensive Steam library of Windows and Mac titles from your phone. Find out about Steam sales wherever you are." Stage one of the app deployment, just wait till the Mann Co. store gets added! :D

There's an add to cart option there alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭Nollog

Next person to get an invite, send it to Nollog. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Have beta invite for app, anyone want it

Crosáidí wrote: »
    Have beta invite for app, anyone want it
    i'd like one

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

KilOit wrote: »
    i'd like one

Steam ID???

edit: gone to Nollog

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

Someone mind inviting me if they have a spare invite? http://steamcommunity.com/id/gamemurphy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭Nollog

Crosáidí wrote: »
    Steam ID???

edit: gone to Nollog

:D Thanks.

The android app's super-nice.
    Responsive, and pretty.
    My only gripe is my fingers are too big so I miss the buttons on some parts of it.

Steam id is Kitaz if anyone gets a spare one, cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

putting myself down for invite
    ID is skerries

Advertisement