Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Choosing subjects?

• 26-01-2012 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭

I really am confused as I'm stuck between choosing two out of these three subjects for the LC:

• Physics
    • Chemistry
    • Accounting
    I have to choose before next Friday. If you do these subjects, could you throw up some suggestions? :)

Thank you so much.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

What are you planning to do for third level? What are your interests etc. Personally I would pick the two science butit depends on YOU! :L

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Geo10

I do chemistry and I like it. It's definitely not the most interesting subject though, lol! But there's not an awful lot to learn like in other subjects, it's a much more concise and you don't have to spend much time studying for it.
    The calculations in it are very basic.. just learning off some methods. You don't have to be good at maths in anyway... take it from someone who hates maths! :):D:)

I don't do physics or accounting so I can't say much but honestly everyone I know doing accounting regrets taking it. Half the class moved to business within the first few weeks. My friends that do it say the a/c classes are like watching paint dry... but maybe that's the teacher, I don't know.

I only have one friend doing physics (there's only five or six in the class lol) and he hates it with a passion. He says it's very different to JC physics and is apparently very mathsy. :( but then again everyone is different! You might find it ok!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Go with accounting and one of the other - that way you are leaving your options open and you have variety

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

I really am confused as I'm stuck between choosing two out of these three subjects for the LC:

• Physics
    • Chemistry
    • Accounting
    I have to choose before next Friday. If you do these subjects, could you throw up some suggestions? :)

Thank you so much.
    It depends on what you want to do in college and your interests. I do chemistry and accounting(5th yr) and I like both of them.
    Chemistry: I find it ok, I really like it. Once you know your definitions and calculations you're grand. It takes some people a while to get it though, a lot in my class failed the Christmas test.
    I love accounting! I wasn't sure whether to pick accounting or business and I'm so glad I chose accounting. I love maths and working with figures and loved the accounting for JC. Its hard at first but anything you ever do is going to be hard. It really comes together after a while and it's quite easy then. We've been doing the final accounts for a while now (the things you do before Xmas lead into the final accounts) and were doing exam papers and really the same thing comes up all the time! It's the same type of question.
    It's really up to you. If you're a real mathsy type person maybe physics is for you but look at your course for college and decide on which you would genuinely find more interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

Do Chemistry, it's great!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 Tradceol

Hey Iloveconverse
    I gather your a mathsy person?
    Physics is a really practical and enjoyable subject if it suits you. It does help if you have higher level maths but there are a couple in my class who dont and are getting on fine. There are also quite a lot of experiments to be covered. It's definitely not a simple subject but if you keep up with the work you'll be fine! It also helps a lot if you have a good teacher who is willing to think outside the box in order to explain different areas :D
    Chemistry is also really interesting if you understand it. There are quite a few calculations on the course - (a lot of people only associate physics with this ) but it's really all calculator use:) I must say the leaving cert course is also really different to the junior cert but much more interesting. Have a look at someones book or something if you can.
    I can't comment on accounting but good luck with your decision !!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

If you enjoy accounting at JC level, don't listen to anyone who claims it's boring. If you genuinely find it interesting and like it, you will not find it boring (well, sometimes it's a little bit boring). When Total Net Assets = Capital Employed, do you have to restrain yourself from getting up and celebrating? If so, do Accounting, best feeling ever. :p

I don't do Physics so can't comment there, I do Chemistry and love it too though. Lots of people say that chemistry is ridiculously hard. I'm not sure whether it's because I've only covered a fraction of the course yet, but I haven't found it to be too hard so far. If you find it interesting, it's graaaand. And there's loads of experiments to do which breaks up the theory and there's plenty of titration-induced banter (NOOOOOO THE BURETTE TAP IS STUCK AND THE COLOUR'S CHANGING etc.). :)

As an aside, I have pretty unreal Accounting and Chemistry teachers so I can't really comment on doing either with a less-than-great teacher, I imagine it'd be a good deal harder though.

Advertisement