Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

itx Firewall etc case question

Options
  • 26-01-2012 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

am looking to build a firewall, vpn, intrusion detection, authentication rig. pfsense be the software name. needs only very little power and ram. it does need a dual lan. so here is the problem, where do i get one cheap on an atom itx board? jetway do a nice product but would like to be under 100 delivered. and in Ireland(i do try to support home business)

or use a regular itx board and a low rise pci lan card on it, however i would like to use a thin small box and many don't seem to leave an expansion slot on the back for pci cards so and suitable cases with this slot would also do the trick.

many thanks for any sage like advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

could/does the software run on Linux?

take a look at raspberryPI. $35 and the size of a credit card.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Special Ops

Tea_Bag wrote: »

pf sense is a specialized OS itself. based on freeBSD. cousin of linux.

that board looks great but need to check if its workable with pfsense. still need two lan ports

Tea_Bag wrote: »

pf sense is a specialized OS itself. based on freeBSD. cousin of linux.

that board looks great but need to check if its workable with pfsense. still need two lan ports
    Bump

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Have a gwak here: http://www.mini-itx.com/

they have the jetway dual lan boars in stock.

I think you will need to spend €200 between motherboard with dual lan, case and psu and a tiny amount of ram + whatever you decide to boot the os off.

The raspberry Pi is prob your best bet, you could also consider very cheap/2nd hand netbooks

uberpixie wrote: »
    Have a gwak here: http://www.mini-itx.com/

they have the jetway dual lan boars in stock.

I think you will need to spend €200 between motherboard with dual lan, case and psu and a tiny amount of ram + whatever you decide to boot the os off.

The raspberry Pi is prob your best bet, you could also consider very cheap/2nd hand netbooks

That seems to be the best option. Would love to use raspberry pi bit really need the double LAN

Thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement