Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit Card Machine

Options
  • 26-01-2012 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

My sister is looking into opening a retail unit in the coming months. The one item we are having trouble with is researching credit card machines. I've been told that they cost a few hundred to get in plus, phone line, there is a monthly charge and a fee per transaction on top of that. Can anyone tell me if this is true or can someone shed more light on it for us?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

Yes, everything above is true.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭blueyedson

I dont think you have to pay to get one, not for every supplier in any case. Shop around the few banks and see what they offer.

You will need a phone line but it doesnt cost that much per month for rental.

The machine rental per month should be no more than about 30 euro.

A small charge is incurred for each transaction.

In short it costs a bit, not a huge ammount, but you probably have to get one or else you'll lose more in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭Firblog

Have a small retail shop 6 years now, as far as I can remember the card machine I got from BOI was free, subject to €25 monthly fee; just got new one to replace that one and no extra charge - dearer if you want mobile one:example : to bring to table in restaurant.

New machine connects via ethernet/internet not telephone line, so may be no need for one...

Charges can vary, % of purchase for visa/mastercard/amex, charged per transaction for Laser.

*They will try to get you to agree to % charge on visadebit, much better to have a flat transaction charge if your transactions are usually over €20, have a notice that there will be a transaction fee of 50c for transactions under that

Advertisement