Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another probability Q!

• 26-01-2012 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

A student has to select a subject from (german, chemistry, french, physics, history) and a subject from (maths, irish, spainish, biology)

Q. If a student must select a language, how many choices does the student have? I worked out the number of selections of not choosing a language and hence the prob of choosing one is 14.

This is the second part were I got stuck. The student can select a third subject from the group (art, home ec, accounting, technology) and the student must chose a language. How many choices does the student no have. The answer at the back is 74???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

I assume that for first part you meant to say that the number of possible choices is 14, not the probability.

Unless I'm misinterpreting the second part, the answer is 14*4 = 56.

Of course, if "can select" in the second bit implies that they don't have to, then it's 56+14=70.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

Absolutely hate probability! :mad: I just van't get my head round it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 help_me1

Sorry yes I meant select. I got 56 but I thought I was doing it wrong as the answer at the back of the book is 74

Advertisement