Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Return flight from Melbourne to Ireland

Options
  • 26-01-2012 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Thought this might be the best place to ask - does anyone know the best/cheapest place to book return flights from Oz to Ireland? It would be around end of April/May. I have searched this evening and it seems to be working out around €1100, any help would be much appreciated! :)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Check skyscanner.net. Both Etihad and Emirates have return flights from Dublin in April and May for under €900 to Melbourne which is a pretty good deal.

see the screenshot attachment, and search for "all year" on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭hoody

Thanks for the reply, those are good deals, but it would actually be for someone coming from, and returning to Oz. Have tried sky scanner but prices from that direction seem much higher?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

Prices leaving Australia have been higher than those leaving Ireland.

1100 euro looks a decent price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Prices leaving Australia have been higher than those leaving Ireland.

1100 euro looks a decent price.

Yeh I'm looking to go home for 3 and a half weeks for the Olympics and the cheapest I could find was 1600 euro. Granted the Olympics is part of the reason for the high price, but I checked prices of flights in May/June for comparison and they were 1300 euro. That seems awfully high, as I would have expected it to be around 1000 euro. Is this because of the weakened Euro?

I may have to pay in Aussie Dollars. 1600 euro is a serious amount of cash to use up!

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

1100E looks a great price.
    Have a look at webjet and compare directly with qantas, Etihad and Emirates (which now both go to Dublin from Melbourne.
    The ATC crowd on Abbey St in Dublin were always good for reasonable quotes. Or give flight centre a call, just to see. The only hassle with them was they always put you on a bmi connection to Dublin which was notorious for giving me some problem.

Coming from Europe always works out cheaper for some reason! Always.
    I have been going back and forth since 05 and it's generally cost from 1700-2500 AUD return to Melbourne.
    Could be driving some very nice wheels ith the amount I have shelled out in airfares.

• Advertisement

04072511 wrote: »
    Yeh I'm looking to go home for 3 and a half weeks for the Olympics and the cheapest I could find was 1600 euro. Granted the Olympics is part of the reason for the high price, but I checked prices of flights in May/June for comparison and they were 1300 euro. That seems awfully high, as I would have expected it to be around 1000 euro. Is this because of the weakened Euro?

If you are set to go back for the Games, I would snap up those tickets. Will seem a great price in 4 months time I guess when demand ramps up.

Looking at going back in April/May around Heineken Cup knock out time and $1600 AUS is the best i have seen.

If you are set to go back for the Games, I would snap up those tickets. Will seem a great price in 4 months time I guess when demand ramps up.

Looking at going back in April/May around Heineken Cup knock out time and $1600 AUS is the best i have seen.

1600 euro. That's over 1900 dollars. That's a great price, really?

In any case, I cant afford it in Aussie Dollars at the mo, and need to wait for my new credit card to arrive to pay in Euros. I'll search around for better deals.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭ellaq

I got cheaper than that with Emirates. I think I am paying around $1460 for a return ticket from Perth April/May.

ellaq wrote: »
    I got cheaper than that with Emirates. I think I am paying around $1460 for a return ticket from Perth April/May.

That is why you got cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭ellaq

Probably. But my travel agent sells the tickets a couple of hundred dollars cheaper than the Emirate online booking. I am flying out of a different country to the one I am flying into and this also made my flight cheaper than the direct return for some reason, different taxes maybe. Emirates online is around $1650 per person. Qantas was a little cheaper but I had to fly via melbourne.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

I may have to pay in Aussie Dollars. 1600 euro is a serious amount of cash to use up!

thats because your flying to europe in summer = peak season

anyone flying to oz at that time of year is arriving in low season down under = winter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

1100E looks a great price.
    Have a look at webjet and compare directly with qantas, Etihad and Emirates (which now both go to Dublin from Melbourne.
    The ATC crowd on Abbey St in Dublin were always good for reasonable quotes. Or give flight centre a call, just to see. The only hassle with them was they always put you on a bmi connection to Dublin which was notorious for giving me some problem.

Coming from Europe always works out cheaper for some reason! Always.
    I have been going back and forth since 05 and it's generally cost from 1700-2500 AUD return to Melbourne.
    Could be driving some very nice wheels ith the amount I have shelled out in airfares.

australia has a small population so the airline market is not near as competitive as in europe , hence the high cost of air travel out of and inside australia

1600 euro. That's over 1900 dollars. That's a great price, really?

If you go to book a flight in May for the same dates, I think it will seem like a bargain.

So yes, I think it is a great price.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 ciaranmc91

any irish people flying out of melb on the 14th july to dublin via abu dhabi on the 25hr 35min flight, im heading back alone looking for someone to share the journey with

Advertisement