Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Growing Cabbage for Lambs

• 26-01-2012 11:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 956 ✭✭✭

I intend to grow cabbage for this years lambs for shows and especially sales.

Last year I grew two varieties of 'round headed' cabbage Golden Acre Primo II and Savoy 'I forget the name but it has purple veins in the outer leaves'.

Just wondering is there any other variety that is round headed, quick and easy to grow?

All comments welcome

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

remember reading on a uk forum about a farmer who had been feeding cabbages or brassica to sheep for years

changed to another breed (of sheep) and encountered all sorts of problems with mineral in balances

** sorry no info on your query

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Cran

I intend to grow cabbage for this years lambs for shows and especially sales.

Don't take this to personally, but I really hope your involved in a different sheep breed than I am. I wouldn't like farmers to be buying cabbage feed rams at the society sales and having bad experiences of the breed.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Arrow in the Knee

Hello Cran,
    In my experience commercial sheep farmers want big heads and wide shoulders. I would never use a ram that has big head and shoulders on my cross breed flock. The ould farmers like the status quo and if there our market you have to provide what the market wants.

Hopefully in the future ram buyers will buy on Lambplus performance figures and easy care traits but until then its just as it is.

You could say I could create my own niche market like easycare rams with good figures on a grass based diet but it takes alot of time and effort convincing ram buyers to buy a ram, private sales as 'society sales would be a waste of time when they are beside over done tups'.

I don't intend to have the rams ad-lib on cabbage but I do want the rams with a muscular head with a good muzzle around the nose.

Fair enough completly different approach to mine, but everyone to their own and best of luck we're all sheep men at the end of the day.
    I wasn't talking about grass based diet only, have seen to many animals advertised as grass only feed which is just not true when you see the animals.

I lamb 800 ewes each year so thats were my attitude comes from, and going by the wide shoulders / muzzle comments above its defo not the breed I'm involved with.

Just wondering you must keep a maternal breed ie. Belclare, Chevoit

I'm just hazarding a guess

• Advertisement

Just wondering you must keep a maternal breed ie. Belclare, Chevoit

I'm just hazarding a guess

I keep Charollais

Cran are you on the British Farming Forum?

I've registered on BFF but can't post comments or threads on it.

How long does it take to become accepted or is there something up with it?

It needs to be authorized and you also need a non free email. I.e not hotmail or gmail

Believe one of the mods here knows one of the mods there and could give them a nudge as theyre not the quickiest. Alternatively pm me your user name and I'll see if I can send them a pm when I login.

Is it suffolks you're breeding?

Well my Username on BFF is Arrow in the Knee.

I've registered since before Christmas but it seems they are fierce slow!

I have Texels but contemplating to go into Suffolk Breeding as I think they are a more complete breed of sheep. Their growth is very fast when compared to texel. If you only get a 6 cent per kilo bonus in the factory for Texel compared to a week less or more to bring a lamb to dead weight in a Suffolk where prices can drop easily by 20 cent per kilo any given week you have to think the Suffolk are a better animal not mentioning other factors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭razor8

all society rams seems to be either pushed hard on cabbage or cake these days and are not bred with the commercial farmer in mind. Ive bought many the lamb at these sales and always struggle to keep condition on them, you really need to give them 24/7 attention or you could lose them. i for one have lost complete faith in these sales

this year i plan to buy private and have done more research on what feeding breeders are using. there are a few breeders who grass feed and only sell rams as Hoggets

• Advertisement

Well my Username on BFF is Arrow in the Knee.

I've registered since before Christmas but it seems they are fierce slow!

I have Texels but contemplating to go into Suffolk Breeding as I think they are a more complete breed of sheep. Their growth is very fast when compared to texel. If you only get a 6 cent per kilo bonus in the factory for Texel compared to a week less or more to bring a lamb to dead weight in a Suffolk where prices can drop easily by 20 cent per kilo any given week you have to think the Suffolk are a better animal not mentioning other factors.

i registered 6 month ago with a non free email address and i am still awaiting approval, username also razor8

I would not buy a Shearling Ram unless it was born in March or April in his first year. A Shearling Ram born in January/February should have been sold in the year of his birth or else I would suspect that he was slow growing and not up to scratch!

There are pedigree breeders who lamb in March or April and sell rams primarily as Shearlings but their in short supply.

dont agree, a lot of rams are sold like this in New Zealand. if they are not pushed eg on cabbage or cake etc i accept they wont look as good as ram lambs for obvious reasons but no reason to think they are inferior as shearlings

if they were pushed and kept as shearlings then yes i totally agree, these would be rams to avoid

But an Irish/UK ram born in January or February should be sold in the year of his birth thats why he was born that early in the year.

But a ram born in March or April would usually go on to be sold as a Shearling the following year irrespective of being creep fed or cabbage fed!

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭sheeper

Defo would not touch a ram on cabbage or on cake !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Know feck all about sheep but interested to know what cake is made out of?? Is it just a high protein homemade meal?

sheeper wrote: »
    Defo would not touch a ram on cabbage or on cake !!!

yes but how would you know what they were fed on at a sale?? or do you just avoid the sales?

I would definitely buy at a sale . Ask the breeder straight out remember if it turns out your ram melts and your feeding him well then you know he was on cake or cabbage and you talking to other farmers will ruin the breeder chance of selling cabbage fed lambs . I often find the breeders push lambs for the big sale so much less chance of getting a less pushed ram at a smaller sale !!!!

I would definitely buy at a sale . Ask the breeder straight out remember if it turns out your ram melts and your feeding him well then you know he was on cake or cabbage and you talking to other farmers will ruin the breeder chance of selling cabbage fed lambs . I often find the breeders push lambs for the big sale so much less chance of getting a less pushed ram at a smaller sale !!!!

ive even seen where they have cabbage in the pens with them at a sale

they should be made declare what feeding their sheep got at a sale or even display it

Most breeder will tell you , I think you have a fair idea by looking at a sheep yourself

• Advertisement

By the way everybody is talking, you would think that there is such a stigma attached to heavy feeding and cabbage to tups that no breeder would touch the stuff but that is not the case!

Buyers are so fickle!

The buyer is always right,

And I think there is a big difference in my opinion in heavy feeding and cabbage feeding

A buyer can tell if a ram is stuffed but its slightly harder to say if cabbage is fed or not esp for a commercial breeder when the seller is say " no cabbage "

The buyer is always right,

And I think there is a big difference in my opinion in heavy feeding and cabbage feeding

A buyer can tell if a ram is stuffed but its slightly harder to say if cabbage is fed or not esp for a commercial breeder when the seller is say " no cabbage "

Agree, feed has its place as it helps show the difference between performance in different animals. I believe cabbage has no place in breeding. Any decent breeder will be honest about what is feed etc..

I lamb in April, lambs are crept for 6 weeks to help identify the poor performers then grass only until November. The lambs get feed from November to march not a whole lot just to get over the winter, and then sold as shearlings.

I m looking for return buyers not russets, even though couple would be nice:)

Do you not sell any lambs Cran ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Yeah, intrigued as well by your post Cran. ;)

You creep for 6 weeks - to identify poor performers - then what do you do?

What age do you creep feed at?

Sorry OP for taking the thread off on a tangent...

Do people not think that Cabbage is Healthier than creep fed rams?

cabbage feeding is fine if you are feeding lambs for killing, but for breeding it disrupts their digestive systems and is much harder for them to adjust to commercial life

Cabbage feeding effects the rams fertility

Do you not sell any lambs Cran ?

No only sell shearlings, I give access to creep from two weeks. The pedigrees are actually feed with the triplet commercials. I feed for eight weeks last year weaned the good lambs put them out to grass and sold the culls off the ewes or weaned with the commercials from about 12 weeks on or so.

I only started doing his 3 years ago and have kept the majority of my rams so far myself, very happy with these rams so far. Hope to have 4 or 5 shearlings for sale this year and 10/15 or so from next year. Hope there's a few bob in it:p

• Advertisement

Off the topic here, but why do some Charollais breeders shave the face on rams?

Just curious

Dunno I was told once that you should pick a Charolais with a good covering on their head b ecause they are hardier! Could be bull

Was reading a site on cabbage feeding and I read that a tup could eat 4/5 heads a day !!! Wow

Have never come across shaving of faces except with mules. Some people prefer the white face I personally don't and have never found themany hardier....

4/5 head that would be some overhead

That's what I was thinking ! But if people grow it who knows

Advertisement