Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Subjects

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

MegGustaa wrote: »
    I think Maths should be restructured altogether, to recognise the very varied Mathematical abilities that exist among students; three levels aren't enough. The gap between OL and HL in the Leaving is huge; I know many girls in my class who aren't doing so well in HL Maths, but don't want to drop because the standard is much lower in the OL classes, they've covered a lot of what's on the OL LC course already (in the Junior Cert!) and would lose out big time on points. There should be more tiers to Maths; they could make the top tier more challenging than it is now ("Further Maths?"), a middle tier that's not as hard as the present HL Maths (but still a high standard, and more points than OL), followed by a lower tier that's roughly what we call OL, and then Foundation.

There are some students who struggle with Ordinary Level, but then again there are plenty of students (like myself) who love Maths, do really well in Higher Level and wish that Maths could be even more challenging. I do Applied Maths, and it's very different (in a good way) to "regular Maths", but I'd also love to see more advanced Calculus, Trigonometry, Algebra etc available to Leaving Cert students too.

Its called HIGHER LEVEL for a reason, if ya cant handle the heat get out of the kitchen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

spurious wrote: »
    I never understood how Spanish wasn't more popular considering it is the first language of many countries in the world and effectively of large parts of the US too.
    And a much easier language to learn imho ... closer in structure and grammar to English, and oh lord so much easier to pronounce without wearing undersized underwear ... >_>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

Its called HIGHER LEVEL for a reason, if ya cant handle the heat get out of the kitchen

They were suggesting a level higher than the current higher level...what's your point?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 232 ✭✭MegGustaa

You're missing the point. Not everyone who 'can't handle the heat' of HL is suited to OL. Having no middle-ground means we're restricting those who can't keep up with HL to a much easier course, when they could be learning harder stuff than OL. We're trying to improve numeracy in this country, aren't we?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭hattoncracker

Drivers Education!

• Advertisement

Drivers Education!
    I would definitely agree, tho' it shouldn't be part of the points system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭hattoncracker

Drivers Education!
    I would definitely agree, tho' it shouldn't be part of the points system.

Yeah I agree but it should be something thats taught in school.. Some schools in the states do it!

Preparing for theory test, drink driving education, shown how to change a tyre, dip oil, what to look at when buying one, etc. would be invaluable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

We had a module on driving theory in transition year, and a talk on drink driving. I think TY is a better time for that than while preparing for the leaving cert.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Our school offered Driver Education a couple of years ago to the LCA class, for their Personal Achievement task.

They all got to pass their Theory Test and got their Learner Permits and the school part funded a day in one of those simulators. It was good fun. I had a go in it myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

MegGustaa wrote: »
    I think Maths should be restructured altogether, to recognise the very varied Mathematical abilities that exist among students; three levels aren't enough. The gap between OL and HL in the Leaving is huge; I know many girls in my class who aren't doing so well in HL Maths, but don't want to drop because the standard is much lower in the OL classes, they've covered a lot of what's on the OL LC course already (in the Junior Cert!) and would lose out big time on points. There should be more tiers to Maths; they could make the top tier more challenging than it is now ("Further Maths?"), a middle tier that's not as hard as the present HL Maths (but still a high standard, and more points than OL), followed by a lower tier that's roughly what we call OL, and then Foundation.

There are some students who struggle with Ordinary Level, but then again there are plenty of students (like myself) who love Maths, do really well in Higher Level and wish that Maths could be even more challenging. I do Applied Maths, and it's very different (in a good way) to "regular Maths", but I'd also love to see more advanced Calculus, Trigonometry, Algebra etc available to Leaving Cert students too.

Agreed!! It's shocking the difference between the levels!! The should definitely be more than three levels.. also as you pointed out its disgraceful that Junior Cert Maths is being taught to LC students!! Especially people in OL LC Maths who were in HL JC Maths!! :O Something definitely should be done, and tbh in my opinion, Project Maths was a big waste of time and money! :/
    And a much easier language to learn imho ... closer in structure and grammar to English, and oh lord so much easier to pronounce without wearing undersized underwear ... >_>

Stop.. Italian and Spanish should be on the same level as French and German eyes.. Another thing about languages in my school anyways, is that you can only take one.. I find this quite annoying.. I would have loved to take another language.. But I was forced to do one :( Or even worse imo is that they allow students to take ART INSTEAD OF a THIRD LANGUAGE!!! I find this shocking!! All students should have the ability to speak a third language!! Its an extremely useful life skill!! :mad: I am so proud to be able to say i can speak fleunt English & Irish and good French and Spanish!!
    Drivers Education!

Our school does Drivers Ed with the TYs.. They get to do theory and stimulator's!

• Advertisement

Bazinga_N wrote: »
    Stop.. Italian and Spanish should be on the same level as French and German eyes..
    Eh? :confused::)

Eh? :confused::)

Oppss I meant in my eyes.. All languages should be on the same levels! :D

Be that as it may, some are easier to learn than others, though ofc which languages people find easier is pretty much dependent on what their first language is.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Oppss I meant in my eyes.. All languages should be on the same levels! :D

They are on the same level - at least French, German, Italian and Spanish are for Leaving Cert.. What makes them different is the ease with which a person with English as a first language can learn them. In the old days where people did Latin this wasn't really a problem as Latin makes almost all European languages easier to learn.

For Leaving Cert., Russian and Japanese are to a lower standard than French/German/Spanish/Italian as you are expected to only have done 2 or 3 years of the former pair, while 5 or maybe even 6 years of the latter group.

The non-curricular Latvian, Lithuianian, Polish, Romanian, Bulgarian etc., expect native speaker standard and are usually taken by native speakers.

That said, I was bored one day supervising an Italian JC Mock and took the exam myself, managing to get an honour while never having had a class of Italian. I just used cop on and my 30 year old knowledge of Inter. Cert. French.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

Definitely think that programming or computer science should be included as an LC subject. I also think that there should be a change in a lot of subjects to incorporate the use of computers, for instance in the sciences and business world computers are incredibly useful but there's been no real drive to include them in the subjects in any meaningful way.

And more of me being a pedant then anything, but I'd prefer if Applied Maths was called Mechanics or something. :pac:

Definitely think that programming or computer science should be included as an LC subject. I also think that there should be a change in a lot of subjects to incorporate the use of computers, for instance in the sciences and business world computers are incredibly useful but there's been no real drive to include them in the subjects in any meaningful way.

And more of me being a pedant then anything, but I'd prefer if Applied Maths was called Mechanics or something. :pac:

The new 'rebalanced' JC syllabi (ready for a number of years but not implemented yet) almost all incorporate IT, but specifying it in a syllabus means the Dept. have to make sure that every school is equipped to at least a basic standard and that costs money, so it will be a non-starter for a few years yet, I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Agreed!! It's shocking the difference between the levels!! The should definitely be more than three levels.. also as you pointed out its disgraceful that Junior Cert Maths is being taught to LC students!! Especially people in OL LC Maths who were in HL JC Maths!! :O Something definitely should be done, and tbh in my opinion, Project Maths was a big waste of time and money! :/

It isn't :confused:

Namlub wrote: »

It isn't :confused:

Yeah it is. Material covered in Junior Cert Higher Level is covered at Leaving Cert Ordinary Level!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Yeah I know, but there are some people who think think that there's no difference between HL maths for Junior Cert and OL maths for Leaving Cert and I though that was what the OP was trying to say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

The difference between higher and ordinary level Maths is shocking (I've done both courses and the difference is huge!).

If it's the same for every subject then they really need to bring in a third level. They should have one less challenging than higher and one that's more challenging than higher, and then have ordinary as the third level.
    Yeah I know, but there are some people who think think that there's no difference between HL maths for Junior Cert and OL maths for Leaving Cert and I though that was what the OP was trying to say

The only difference is complex numbers and differentiation I think. Apart from that it's easier. (For the old Paper 1 and 2 anyway.)

• Advertisement

spurious wrote: »
    They are on the same level - at least French, German, Italian and Spanish are for Leaving Cert.. What makes them different is the ease with which a person with English as a first language can learn them. In the old days where people did Latin this wasn't really a problem as Latin makes almost all European languages easier to learn.

For Leaving Cert., Russian and Japanese are to a lower standard than French/German/Spanish/Italian as you are expected to only have done 2 or 3 years of the former pair, while 5 or maybe even 6 years of the latter group.

The non-curricular Latvian, Lithuianian, Polish, Romanian, Bulgarian etc., expect native speaker standard and are usually taken by native speakers.

That said, I was bored one day supervising an Italian JC Mock and took the exam myself, managing to get an honour while never having had a class of Italian. I just used cop on and my 30 year old knowledge of Inter. Cert. French.
    Be that as it may, some are easier to learn than others, though ofc which languages people find easier is pretty much dependent on what their first language is.

Bit of confusion here, I meant that the languages should be treated the same in schools. Like for example, in my home town there are three fairly equally populated secondary schools. In mine and one other school you take either French or German. In the third school you have to take French. I mean our town isn't exactly small and there is no Spanish or Italian taught here! :O I personally know a number of student have numerously said they would have loved a Spanish class.. but alas none :( Thats what I meant that French and German are more popularly taught in my point f view anyway.. may be different elsewhere. :)

Agreed!! Computers in school is a joke tbh.. I mean I was soo excited to get onto ICT in Business.. And then all we did was learn terms!! :O Terms that our whole class knew already! :( Waste of a class!! But still Spurious is right with the way the country is now I doubt we'll be getting computers in our schools to teach like we wish! :P Although my schools getting a huge extension in the next few years.. Its set to have a recording studio, computer library and web conferencing room in it! I can't wait.. Its expected to be finished in two or three years time.. So I'll still be in school!! :D

Yes Applied Maths is a bit misleading.. If i didnt already know what it was, id think it was a way of applying maths to situations!!

No.. I was saying how its shocking that OL LC classes are being taught things from HL JC Maths!

Nah, no one I know thinks they're exactly the same (and it's a moot point for those in my year anyway because of Project Maths, so even if they dropped some material would be new in any case), but it seems an awful shame to be doing HL until 5th or 6th Year and then dropping, because the vast majority of the stuff you learn in HL is unnecessary for OL. I know people who just stuck with HL for the Junior Cert, and then a bit of TY, then dropped because they already had the basis of the LC OL course covered - and they were correct, mostly (we'd already done Complex Numbers in TY, even..).

Personally, I think there's also a big gap in ability between those who are put in OL at the beginning of 2nd Year and those who drop under pressure in 5th or 6th Year. I can only imagine that the spread of ability in an OL class by the end of 5th Year, going into 6th Year is pretty wide. That's not entirely fair on anyone. There should be a middle ground at Leaving Cert level, for those who did HL for the JC but can't handle the jump to LC HL (because it is a big jump!).

Yes Applied Maths is a bit misleading.. If i didnt already know what it was, id think it was a way of applying maths to situations!!

Well that's what it is so...

• Registered Users Posts: 33 MysticManiac

Typewriting
    Computing
    Sign Language
    Experimental Science
    Regional Geography
    Handwriting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Typewriting
    Computing
    Sign Language
    Experimental Science
    Regional Geography
    Handwriting

I think typewriting and handwriting are unnecessary. I could be wrong but I think you can take typewriting for JC.

Experimental Science sounds interesting but would presumably need decent lab facilities which some schools are badly lacking in.

Regional Geography is part of the current LC Geography course and I find it can be quite waffly at times. I'm not sure a whole syllabus could be constructed around it.

Personally, I would love to see sports science in the LC syllabus.

thelad95 wrote: »
    I think typewriting and handwriting are unnecessary. I could be wrong but I think you can take typewriting for JC.

Experimental Science sounds interesting but would presumably need decent lab facilities which some schools are badly lacking in.

Regional Geography is part of the current LC Geography course and I find it can be quite waffly at times. I'm not sure a whole syllabus could be constructed around it.

Personally, I would love to see sports science in the LC syllabus.

So by sports "science", do u mean PE as an exam subject? Biology is part of this though, like breathing and bones/muscles etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Typewriting
    Computing
    Sign Language
    Experimental Science
    Regional Geography
    Handwriting

I'm pretty sure Sign Language exists on the LCA course and Typewriting is available as a JC subject, but not many places do it.

I'm pretty sure Sign Language exists on the LCA course and Typewriting is available as a JC subject, but not many places do it.

I know typewriting is JC. Handwriting could also be JC as well. Probably not LC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭robman60

I would love if Law was on the syllabus for Leaving Cert. Or at least something like politics and society that would allow us to engage with the wider world and not be as narrow as I feel many aspects of the syllabus are.

I'm (hopefully!) doing Law next year, Law and Business specifically and I feel it's really difficult to know if it'll suit me because of the lack of exposure we get to it throughout our education.

• Advertisement

robman60 wrote: »
    Or at least something like politics and society that would allow us to engage with the wider world and not be as narrow as I feel many aspects of the syllabus are.
    There's a LC course in this fully developed and sitting on the shelf for several years because they can't afford to resource the subjects they're offering, let alone add a new one.

For what it's worth, I fully agree with you.

Advertisement