Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pepper Spray

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 joushikijin

I have also posted a case which sets out that under similar uk law pepper spray was a weapon.

Thank you, I have seen it but this is Ireland and not the UK, therefore it is not much help to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭LowKeyReturn

I am in search of a clear answer. I am from Germany and I am used to have a clear law written down. If the act that is being recited the only legal document defining the legality or non-legality of pepper spray or other substances than there is a lot of work that needs to be done because this is asking for abuse from lawyers and judges.
    I hope that I am very wrong because it would scare me very much if this very vaguely phrased act is the only document defining what should be clearly written out.
    I dont think a barrister or lawyer should be needed to understand the law, every citizen should be able to grasp it. Again this reminds me a lot of countries in which governments are corrupted and not a modern democracy.

Germany is a civil law country and has a different ethos in its laws. I'm not going to debate which is superior. Ireland shares much of it's legal system with the UK, more precisely England and Wales as Scotland is a hybrid Common/Civil law system. I would however suggest if you are that scared of our legal system, and possibly people given the need for pepper spray, perhaps a return to more familiar surroundings?

On grasping the law - many lay people have grasped the law on pepper spray. Possible that it's not us but...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

I am in search of a clear answer. I am from Germany and I am used to have a clear law written down. If the act that is being recited the only legal document defining the legality or non-legality of pepper spray or other substances than there is a lot of work that needs to be done because this is asking for abuse from lawyers and judges.
    I hope that I am very wrong because it would scare me very much if this very vaguely phrased act is the only document defining what should be clearly written out.
    I dont think a barrister or lawyer should be needed to understand the law, every citizen should be able to grasp it. Again this reminds me a lot of countries in which governments are corrupted and not a modern democracy.

Germany has the criminal and civil code, Ireland has the common law legal system. Did you read the bit of the case from the UK which I posted it clearly said the person was convicted under their firearms legislation almost the same as ours for having pepper spray. In Irish and English and Welsh law certain words in law have certain meanings, any lawyer with 5 seconds in practice could tell you pepper spray is noxious and covered under act lynx is not.

http://www.code3tactical.com/pepper-spray-oc-spray.aspx

As you can see Germany goes into some detail about pepper spray,

"In Germany privately owned pepper spray may fall into two different categories. Sprays that bear the test mark of the Material prÃüfungsanstalt may be owned and carried solely for the purpose of defense against animals. Such sprays are not legally considered as weapons. Sprays that do not bear this test mark are classified as prohibited weapons. It is nevertheless strictly prohibited to carry pepper spray at (or on the way to and from) demonstrations - whether it bears a test mark or not."

Ireland and other common law countries allow more freedom to the judges to decide on things with in the legislation.
    Pal so from the Department of Justice (The Guards are part of that department)

http://www.justice.ie/en/JELR/Pages/Firearms_and_Ammunition_FAQ

8. What about CS gas spray, pepper spray and stun guns?
    These are all totally prohibited in this country. Importation or possession of any of these items is illegal.

Or are they not good enough either, they drafted the law, they employ the judges and the Guards so I think they may have got the issue correct.

Germany is a civil law country and has a different ethos in its laws. I'm not going to debate which is superior.

Ireland shares much of it's legal system with the UK, more precisely England and Wales as Scotland is a hybrid Common/Civil law system.

I would however suggest if you are that scared of our legal system, and possibly people given the need for pepper spray, perhaps a return to more familiar surroundings?

I always love the "go home foreigner" card, it never gets old! I am a EU and Irish citizen, I am home ;)

I always love the "go home foreigner" card, it never gets old! I am a EU and Irish citizen, I am home ;)

I'm not Irish. You seem very frightened was my only concern.

Germany has the criminal and civil code, Ireland has the common law legal system. Did you read the bit of the case from the UK which I posted it clearly said the person was convicted under their firearms legislation almost the same as ours for having pepper spray. In Irish and English and Welsh law certain words in law have certain meanings, any lawyer with 5 seconds in practice could tell you pepper spray is noxious and covered under act lynx is not.

How do they come to this conclusion? Lynx is clearly a more dangerous substance than pepper spray.
    I cant find anything in the act, how to they decide that one is legal, and the other one isn't?

Thank you, I have seen it but this is Ireland and not the UK, therefore it is not much help to me.

Ireland and the English and Welsh legal system are very similar, English case law is persuasive in Ireland, the legislation uses the same words, I use English cases in Ireland in a daily basis, if there is no irish case on point. So yes English case law is important in the Irish legal system.

How do they come to this conclusion? Lynx is clearly a more dangerous substance than pepper spray.
    I cant find anything in the act, how to they decide that one is legal, and the other one isn't?

It called using common reason. Pepper spray is manufactured to cause harm lynx is not. I can not figure out are you just trying to get a rise or you really don't get it. Either way I have given you personal experience, legal experience and quoted case law, if that's not good enough nothing will convince you.

Can you point out in German law where Sure for men 24 Hr is allowed? Is the 48Hr and 72Hr allowed?

I like Old spice after-shave, I know, I know but someone has to smell middle aged - Can I carry around the light blue one in Germany or is it only the one in the red bottle? Where would each of these be listed?

Am I right in thinking if Lynx was sprayed in someone's face it might be considered under the relevant legislation? (Not sure if it's still the 1925 Act.)

• Advertisement

It called using common reason. Pepper spray is manufactured to cause harm lynx is not. I can not figure out are you just trying to get a rise or you really don't get it. Either way I have given you personal experience, legal experience and quoted case law, if that's not good enough nothing will convince you.

Pepper spray is manufactured to defend, it is not even a weapon as it is made out of natural peppers and oil. It is designed to defend and not as an offensive tool or weapon.
    Yes I do seem to have problems in understanding any logic in your explanation but appreciate your attempt and time spent on it.

Am I right in thinking if Lynx was sprayed in someone's face it might be considered under the relevant legislation? (Not sure if it's still the 1925 Act.)

I doubt it the person would be done under sections 2,3 or 4 non fatal offences against the person Act.

Assault.

2.—(1) A person shall be guilty of the offence of assault who, without lawful excuse, intentionally or recklessly—

(a) directly or indirectly applies force to or causes an impact on the body of another, or

(b) causes another to believe on reasonable grounds that he or she is likely immediately to be subjected to any such force or impact,

without the consent of the other.

(2) In subsection (1) (a), “force” includes—

(a) application of heat, light, electric current, noise or any other form of energy, and

(b) application of matter in solid liquid or gaseous form.

Pepper spray is manufactured to defend, it is not even a weapon as it is made out of natural peppers and oil. It is designed to defend and not as an offensive tool or weapon.
    Yes I do seem to have problems in understanding any logic in your explanation but appreciate your attempt and time spent on it.

Again the Department of Justice

"8. What about CS gas spray, pepper spray and stun guns?
    These are all totally prohibited in this country. Importation or possession of any of these items is illegal."

I can find no mention of lynx or other product on the site or case law.

Can you point out in German law where Sure for men 24 Hr is allowed? Is the 48Hr and 72Hr allowed?

I like Old spice after-shave, I know, I know but someone has to smell middle aged - Can I carry around the light blue one in Germany or is it only the one in the red bottle? Where would each of these be listed?

I dont understand your first sentence, could you rephrase that for me.

I am sure there is no law against smelling middle aged in Germany (don't pin me on it). You can carry your Old Spice in any colour as long as you do not carry it with the intention of using it to commit a crime. You find it all in the StGB!

Again the Department of Justice

"8. What about CS gas spray, pepper spray and stun guns?
    These are all totally prohibited in this country. Importation or possession of any of these items is illegal."

I can find no mention of lynx or other product on the site or case law.

Thank you, that is what I was looking for ;)

I am sure there is no law against smelling middle aged in Germany (don't pin me on it). You can carry your Old Spice in any colour as long as you do not carry it with the intention of using it to commit a crime. You find it all in the StGB!

From my little understanding of German law pepper spray is allowed as long as it is classed as for the use in defence against animals. But if any pepper spray is carried to or from a demonstration that is illegal even if it is designated as for defence against animals. That's German law all very logical and I assume if I found the bit of the Criminal law it would give me a definition of pepper spray. But in Ireland its different, it may be strange to you as a non lawyer, but it clearly is the law, I have also pointed out the law that would be breached if a person sprayed lynx on a person.

I'm looking for where all these are listed, by name, as legal to possess.

Watch that document RW linked it's a product of the corrupt law and government!

Thank you, that is what I was looking for ;)

The joys of the Internet all the answers are there if you can find them.

From my little understanding of German law pepper spray is allowed as long as it is classed as for the use in defence against animals. But if any pepper spray is carried to or from a demonstration that is illegal even if it is designated as for defence against animals. That's German law all very logical and I assume if I found the bit of the Criminal law it would give me a definition of pepper spray. But in Ireland its different, it may be strange to you as a non lawyer, but it clearly is the law, I have also pointed out the law that would be breached if a person sprayed lynx on a person.

In Germany it is the intend, you can own and carry a gun to a shooting range but on a public transport (or demonstration) you show intend of misuse.
    Pepper Spray is legal to every child 14 and above to be purchased, carried and used to defend themselves. The reason it has to be labeled "to defend from animals" is a political that reaches a few years back but it is there to give individuals the option to self defend.
    The reason I was inquiring is that I noticed that violence has been increased and I was subject to a robbery within my own car (broad daylight in Galway). Gladly I worked for several years in close protection and had no problems fending of my attacker without any weapons. Unfortunately did my local Garda station did not help me in any way despite that I had the registration of the perpetrators car. I have been told it was a case of road rage?
    Clearly I rather rely on myself than on the local Garda when it comes to self preservation and therefore wanted to see what my resources are. I guess I have to live with a bottle of Lynx in my car.
    Thanks again for your patience and help, much appreciated ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement