Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

red robin ?

Options
  • 27-01-2012 12:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hi all, I've planted a red robin hedge at the top of a retaining wall two years ago. approx 20 metres long. Its doing well thankfully however so do the weeds at the base despite me weeding reasonably regular. My question is can I put a bark mulch or stone chippings along the base to help supress the weeds or any other ideas please. Also what should I be feeding it with at this stage, I have been using chicken manure pellets. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Hi all, I've planted a red robin hedge at the top of a retaining wall two years ago. approx 20 metres long. Its doing well thankfully however so do the weeds at the base despite me weeding reasonably regular. My question is can I put a bark mulch or stone chippings along the base to help supress the weeds or any other ideas please. Also what should I be feeding it with at this stage, I have been using chicken manure pellets. Thanks in advance.

A long strip of Mypex weed barrier and 1-2 inch layer of bark mulch and that will sort it for you.

Will also keep the soil nice and moist and damp,so you wont need to water as much.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 39 sonofsteptoe

Cheers Paddy147, I had that in mind but I thought i read/heard somewhere that you shouldn't let mulch touch the base of hedge{hence the chippings}. But I could've been mistaken. New to this gardening lark and tend to take in lots of info and totally confuse myself:)

Advertisement