Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

how to clean vintage gold plating...

• 27-01-2012 12:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, I bought a present from etsy for someone, and it's a vintage (1950's) gold plated charm. I want to bring up the shine on it, without using anything too abrasive. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for cleaning gold plating? I was debating using a type of alcohol like vodka, would that work or would it do anything horrible? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

I wouldn't put alcohol on it, I'd say that would be too abrasive.

From my own experience the best way to clean gold is with a really soft cloth like a chamois or micro fibre, warm water and a gentle cleanser like baby shampoo.

Wipe down the piece with a dry cloth. Then gently rinse in warm water and cleanser. Allow to air dry, then gently buff with a dry cloth again. Use really light pressure so as not to rub off the plating.

For bad tarnishes you could try a specialty cleaner from a jewellers but if the plating is particularly thin this could strip it off the charm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭ladhrann

Hey guys, I bought a present from etsy for someone, and it's a vintage (1950's) gold plated charm. I want to bring up the shine on it, without using anything too abrasive. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for cleaning gold plating? I was debating using a type of alcohol like vodka, would that work or would it do anything horrible? :confused:

Generally soap and water first. Do not use a potscrub or anything of that type at all. Secondly make sure that whatever cloth you use is 100% cotton or linen or other natural fibre (a teatowel should be fine). Poly and polycotton cloths will leave fine scratches on gold and silver.

As gold should not tarnish then once the dirt/grease is removed it should be fine, just requiring a buffing with a soft (natural fibre) cloth.

Bear in mind that any plated piece like that will most likely have metal with nickel content underneath so make sure that the do not have a nickel allergy.

Advertisement