Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Costa Coffee opening in City Center

Options
  • 27-01-2012 12:26am
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm fairly certain that the building which the Jean Scene / Josef were operating out of is being gutted and being fitted out with a new cafe. The cafe will be Costa Coffee and it will be two floors.

They are also opening one in Storm Cinemas.

Fantastic addition to the city center and a great location for a cafe. Badly needed.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Sully wrote: »
    I'm fairly certain that the building which the Jean Scene / Josef were operating out of is being gutted and being fitted out with a new cafe. The cafe will be Costa Coffee and it will be two floors.

They are also opening one in Storm Cinemas.

Fantastic addition to the city center and a great location for a cafe. Badly needed.
    Is that by where bpm was? Id like one that faces onto red square, it needs a bit of colour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭rude awakening

dayshah wrote: »
    Is that by where bpm was? Id like one that faces onto red square, it needs a bit of colour.
    The 3G building would have been great for it, but the owner just wants retail in there. Cant see the logic in it if tenants will be paying the same price for it. No official source for this but "Heard H&M decided not to go in there and M&S also decided against it"

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭wellboy76

Sorry to put a damper on this thread but there are no locals involved in fitting these 2 places I assume. I hopefully wait to be corrected

• Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭rude awakening

wellboy76 wrote: »
    Sorry to put a damper on this thread but there are no locals involved in fitting these 2 places I assume. I hopefully wait to be corrected

TBH wellboy, since the day the jeans shop began their closing down sale, I never saw a Sale/to let sign outside the building. Wouldnt want to assume that it wasnt locals, but I did think it was wierd there was an immediate tennant.

TBH wellboy, since the day the jeans shop began their closing down sale, I never saw a Sale/to let sign outside the building. Wouldnt want to assume that it wasnt locals, but I did think it was wierd there was an immediate tennant.

Don't know who will be running it but would much rather the kiosk in the middle of red square got your money for the cup of coffee so that money is kept local rather than going to some corporate fat cat in London to pay his out of town suppliers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Icky Thump

Don't know who will be running it but would much rather the kiosk in the middle of red square got your money for the cup of coffee so that money is kept local rather than going to some corporate fat cat in London to pay his out of town suppliers.

kiosk in the center wll employ 2 people or the coffee place that will employ 10......................................

screw keeping local. stop talking rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

What is CC suppose to be like? I don't like starbucks for example and they are insanely popular.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Its going into the unit beside penny's, where the Jean scene was. They had planning since 2008. I have no idea how they knew the unit was going to be free.

Its being fitted out by an English company atm, but I'd imagine closer to completiton you will see info about jobs.

While there not Irish its good to see a popular brand opening up a large cafe in waterford. Should attract people into the city and its facing into the square.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,769 ✭✭✭✭JPA

I'm sure Costa have teams of outfitters who fit out their cafes. Its unrealistic to expect locals to be employed for that.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

JPA wrote: »
    I'm sure Costa have teams of outfitters who fit out their cafes. Its unrealistic to expect locals to be employed for that.

A bit like Tesco, yeah. Most of these big firms have set plans for stores, and set contractors. Even if not, I would imagine they would prefer to offer tenders through the UK seeing as its where they are based.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

ziedth wrote: »
    What is CC suppose to be like? I don't like starbucks for example and they are insanely popular.

Coffee is nice imo, but overpriced.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

IBM in Dublin have a subsidized on onsite. Anytime Ive been up there for training or anything Ive come out wired to the moon :o

KevIRL wrote: »
    Coffee is nice imo, but overpriced.

All those big chains are I would say. I think its Costa that are in the motorway service stations also so they do a bit of food also (if it is the same).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

They do the BEST Cafe Mochas! And their Granola Bars are far nicer than starbucks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Just what Waterford needs right now. Thank goodness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Jubo

Delighted! Costa Coffee is lovely. Isn't there one in the Kilkenny shopping centre?

Jubo wrote: »
    Delighted! Costa Coffee is lovely. Isn't there one in the Kilkenny shopping centre?

Yup!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Happy days, must say I really like Costa. Good place for them. Hopefully we'll be able to look down over the square from upstairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭scico rocks

I love Starbucks. Great varieties of coffee's and the staff are always very nice. Course, you have to travel to Dublin......

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭YumDeiseMum

kelle wrote: »

They do the BEST Cafe Mochas! And their Granola Bars are far nicer than starbucks!
    There was an item in this weeks paper about costa opening. The jobs were advertised months ago on the fas website

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Sam V Smith

Sully wrote: »
    All those big chains are I would say. I think its Costa that are in the motorway service stations also so they do a bit of food also (if it is the same).

It's a major company. Their corporate side also runs Premier Inn hotels, a number of other restaurants, hotels and Fitness First gyms I believe.

In the UK they dominate the 'pit-stop' motorway retail section. You tend to see Premier Inn's with shoping malls attached along with Costa and whatever other brands they run scattered along the motorways.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

It's a major company. Their corporate side also runs Premier Inn hotels, a number of other restaurants, hotels and Fitness First gyms I believe.

In the UK they dominate the 'pit-stop' motorway retail section. You tend to see Premier Inn's with shoping malls attached along with Costa and whatever other brands they run scattered along the motorways.

Costa is one of the brands owned by Whitbread. I think they're a bit bigger than Starbucks in the UK. I'd assume their outlets operate on a franchise model.

Always quite liked them myself.

SSE

Could they not get a local fella to wire the place ffs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Could they not get a local fella to wire the place ffs?
    This is probably how these people keep their brand. Coffee is 99% water, so there isn't much reason why a local place (like gallweys) isnt nicer. I like gallweys, but probably not the best location for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

dayshah wrote: »
    This is probably how these people keep their brand. Coffee is 99% water, so there isn't much reason why a local place (like gallweys) isnt nicer. I like gallweys, but probably not the best location for them.

And cafes are 99% atmosphere. Gallweys is a class cafe and seems to do well and will probably continue to. It's in a great location because it's not in the thick of things. Not all cafes have to go for overwhelming passing trade to make a business. Build a decent cafe and people will come, and all the better if it's a bit off the beaten track. Besides, for cafes and restaurants, it's not off the beaten track at all.

The only thing about Gallwey's being off the beaten track is that I keep on meaning to go in there, but I don't think of it when I'm down around John Roberts Square doing the few bits and pieces. It's only after I've had a coffee somewhere else that I think "balls, I meant to try out Gallwey's!"

On a side note, anyone tried that new place at 33 the Mall yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Aarnikotka

On a side note, anyone tried that new place at 33 the Mall yet?[/QUOTE]

It's called Mint, I think. I was there in January and I thought it was an attractive place. The coffee was very good, although I found the hot chocolate too sweet (but that's just me!). Nice atmosphere and it's a pleasure to be in such a wonderful building in any case. The service was slow, but in fairness it was only because a group of English tourists had gone in before me and the chap in there was working alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

fricatus wrote: »
    The only thing about Gallwey's being off the beaten track is that I keep on meaning to go in there, but I don't think of it when I'm down around John Roberts Square doing the few bits and pieces. It's only after I've had a coffee somewhere else that I think "balls, I meant to try out Gallwey's!"

On a side note, anyone tried that new place at 33 the Mall yet?

Very classy little place with nice staff, good coffee and really nice food.

I think a successful cafe culture is more about people leaving the house with an intention to hit one of a few different cafes as opposed to just popping in whilst doing the shopping. Once a cafe culture gets off the ground, passing trade becomes less important as people seek out the cafes in question. There is also a tendency to view the city centre more in terms of a place to hang out rather than a place to buy necessities. I think this trend is kicking in in Waterford in a big way over the past year or two and will probably keep going. The combination of the significant works on the viking triangle tourist/civic offering, the movement of the Waterford crystal display and tour into the ESB building and the consequent large rise in tourism footfall; and the explosion of cafes in the city centre; has been transformational.

Amazing to think that cafes such as Berfranks, Bishop's palace, Cafe Royal, Park Lodge, Gallwey's, Mint Cafe, Lily O'Brien's, Cafe Karma, House of Waterford Crystal Cafe, etc. did not exist just a few years ago. In fact they are largely recession era businesses. Luckily, the coffee business is likely to be recession proof.

merlante wrote: »
    Very classy little place with nice staff, good coffee and really nice food.

So I've heard, which is why I keep meaning to go in there! :D

There is also a tendency to view the city centre more in terms of a place to hang out rather than a place to buy necessities. I think this trend is kicking in in Waterford in a big way over the past year or two and will probably keep going.

Quite true I think... I had meant to head in on Saturday, but just had too much to do around the house. If this is the case, then I think places that open on a Sunday will be a must. I'm not sure how many do.

Amazing to think that cafes such as Berfranks, Bishop's palace, Cafe Royal, Park Lodge, Gallwey's, Mint Cafe, Lily O'Brien's, Cafe Karma, House of Waterford Crystal Cafe, etc. did not exist just a few years ago.

When you look at it, that's quite a list! Where is Cafe Royal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 bluess

Anyone know the opening hours of Mint i fancy a coffee now :)

Advertisement