Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wet room tray query

• 27-01-2012 1:03am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭

long time lurker here, hope you can furnish me with some advice!

when we built our house we put a wet room shower in the downstairs ensuite. the floor was concrete screed and tiled on top with small mosaic tiles. now the issue is, the tiles weren't sealed properly around the gully and one of the walls so water has got down and is now creeping up the wall. not much, but we just want to rip out the tiles and do a better job of it.

i found these tray systems ''using a closed cell polystyrene construction with a surface and back finished with a cement fibre scrim.'' which even though it's a good bit smaller than what we have now, it looks they might work better, but i've yet to find anyone in ireland that does them.

are these the best job, or are there better alternatives? want one simple unit tray thing that we can install and then tile over, and seal properly where it'll meet the two walls.

anyone got any advice? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 789 ✭✭✭650gs

Why not strip the lot dry it out then tank the floor and walls once this is done right you will never have a bother again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

em, well yeah, as i said we're going to rip up the tiles and let it dry out and re-do it.

when you say tank out the floor and walls, what exactly do you mean? with that membrane stuff? i was under the impression that these wet room trays were the best solution when you want to finish the floor in tile as they're already sloped. the membrane is more for upstairs where you're installing on top of joists isn't it?

sorry now, this is all double dutch new to me. :o

Advertisement