Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MAGNET - joke - BE AWARE OF THe SERVICE

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Bikerguy

i finally got my phone line fixed by an Eircom guy..... it took 6 weeks of magnet wasting my time... then another week for them to release the line and 4 days for eircom to come out and fix the line

lucky you. my line is been still under Magnet.

i just gave up. its been ages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

Bikerguy wrote: »
    lucky you. my line is been still under Magnet.

i just gave up. its been ages.

i just told eircom that magnet cancelled my order because they couldn't fix the line after 6 weeks of pretending to be "trying".... the eircom guy laughed and said ok ill send a guy out to check out your line... 4 days later (yesterday) the eircom guy phoned me while i was at work and told me he was fixing a faulty junction box in my area and if i could go home to let him in to test my line.... thankfully my boss is sound and let me nip home to let the eircom guy in. 30 mins later my line was fixed.

should have my new router next week.

My conclusion about magnet is this:

when it works it works well.....but as soon as something goes wrong your screwed cos their tech guys are hopeless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

i just told eircom that magnet cancelled my order because they couldn't fix the line after 6 weeks of pretending to be "trying".... the eircom guy laughed and said ok ill send a guy out to check out your line... 4 days later (yesterday) the eircom guy phoned me while i was at work and told me he was fixing a faulty junction box in my area and if i could go home to let him in to test my line.... thankfully my boss is sound and let me nip home to let the eircom guy in. 30 mins later my line was fixed.

when it works it works well.....but as soon as something goes wrong your screwed cos their tech guys are hopeless

or maybe... Magnet did try to get Eircom to fix it but Eircom just wouldnt bother?

I mean, do you really think that Magnet would rather waste 6 weeks of their time and your time just because they didnt want fix the line?

What you should have asked your man from Eircom is why couldnt he fixed it before when this failed install was logged.. That will def stop him from laughting.

Havent seen this type of behaviour for some time now, in fact, I thought they'd stopped doing this but apparently not everyone.

Personally I havent seen one (or truth to be told allowed it) for several years now.

If I were magnet (and I am not) I would be taking this example to comreg tbh... What's worse is that the SLA for WLR is pretty clear in regards PSTN faults. If is not working Eircom have to fix it, if they can't fix it then an alternative option (like radio) has to be offered to the customer, I am sure Magnet will bring this up on the next meeting. At least I would If I were them...

Anyway the important thing is that you got your line working. Now you can move back to Magnet or try a different broadband provider...

there is no way that Eircom is gonna send someone on thems own if the line is active with MAGNET!!! ---> easy as that. untill Magnet release it they will not act in any way.

there is no way that Eircom is gonna send someone on thems own if the line is active with MAGNET!!! ---> easy as that. untill Magnet release it they will not act in any way.

I am not sure what you mean by Eircom cannot act in any way, maybe i am getting it wrong... His problem was a fault on the line after a line activation, if that's the case Eircom are suppose to fix his issue.

• Advertisement

Bohrio wrote: »
    I am not sure what you mean by Eircom cannot act in any way, maybe i am getting it wrong... His problem was a fault on the line after a line activation, if that's the case Eircom are suppose to fix his issue.

so Magnet is only reseling Eircom line in some areas---> we had both issue on the line and Magnet coudlnt provide us service saying there is unrepairable fold. so at the end of the day they didnt give us service but in the pappers they were holding the line - or the line was active under MAgnet - even it wasnt in reality. so the only way to deal with it was dealing with MAGNET - adn they are useless. So what i am saying is that eircom could come to your place only when Magnet let the line be, and that didnt happend in my case, and untill then i am stuck.

sorry if i didnt explain it well. but Eircom could act only when the line is free or not active with any other provider. (i mean Eircom on thems own)

but after all what happend to nothingbetter2d is that magnet let his line alone and he contacted Eircom who act very fast and quick and provided him service - so fixed the line that Magnet was trying to repair for 6+ weeks! in my case i am still stuck with magnet. even i didnt make any agreement with them at all. they are just ....

so Magnet is only reseling Eircom line in some areas---> we had both issue on the line and Magnet coudlnt provide us service saying there is unrepairable fold. so at the end of the day they didnt give us service but in the pappers they were holding the line - or the line was active under MAgnet - even it wasnt in reality. so the only way to deal with it was dealing with MAGNET - adn they are useless. So what i am saying is that eircom could come to your place only when Magnet let the line be, and that didnt happend in my case, and untill then i am stuck.

sorry if i didnt explain it well. but Eircom could act only when the line is free or not active with any other provider. (i mean Eircom on thems own)

but after all what happend to nothingbetter2d is that magnet let his line alone and he contacted Eircom who act very fast and quick and provided him service - so fixed the line that Magnet was trying to repair for 6+ weeks! in my case i am still stuck with magnet. even i didnt make any agreement with them at all. they are just ....

All DSL going through POTS (at the moment) is an eircom wholesale resold product. Even Line Sharing as the Copper to your house is rented from Eircom.

When a line fails the installation process is logged to Eircom as an early life failure and Eircom wholesale need to fix this before they are penalized. Six weeks is not normal at all as per SLA faults should be fixed within 5 working days... so imagine how bad that is.

What is weird is that what Eircom wholesale couldnt fix when the OP was with magnet they had no problem fixing when they were with Eircom retail... that's weird...

i am the OP ;) magnet made me to apply for the line twice. they have send me router twice. they have told i will be online twice. and i have been told there is unrepairable issue. And when Eircom told me they can only fix the line for me only when i will be customer of them--->Magnet decided to hold the line to prevent Me go for it. so they are holding my balls and i cant go anywhere. :( easy as that. and the whole procedure is taking more then 8 weeks.

is this normal? Magnet support is ...

i am the OP ;) magnet made me to apply for the line twice. they have send me router twice. they have told i will be online twice. and i have been told there is unrepairable issue. And when Eircom told me they can only fix the line for me only when i will be customer of them--->Magnet decided to hold the line to prevent Me go for it. so they are holding my balls and i cant go anywhere. :( easy as that. and the whole procedure is taking more then 8 weeks.

is this normal? Magnet support is ...

Sorry!

No is not normal. There is something going on alright... If the line never worked I dont see a reason why, at least not on the operational side. Something is going on.

This is obviously doesnt make them look good...

back on the track

Phone line is now working ----> i cant believe it

waiting for BB activation

will keep you updated

i am without proper BB from December last year.

hint: its a mainly communication error between Eircom and Magnet - i have a feeling that at this stage is Eircom the one that is leading - because in my case they are reselling the line to the third party and they interest is low doing such a job. So eircom is following thems prioritys and Magnet cant do anything. so the end line is leading to me being without BB for ages

• Advertisement

Logged official complaint with COMREG - line was activated by Eircom on 26.03. 8:30 am but i have no DSL signal and tech support of magnet cant help me out!! btw 2 teams of Eircom tech guys were in my place and both confirmed there is no ISSUE at all!! they checked exchange, wiring and they even made a phone calls from thems devices from my line!! and even after all i was pushed to the corner with no answer.

JOKES all around!! fight against and never give up!!

Logged official complaint with COMREG - line was activated by Eircom on 26.03. 8:30 am but i have no DSL signal and tech support of magnet cant help me out!! btw 2 teams of Eircom tech guys were in my place and both confirmed there is no ISSUE at all!! they checked exchange, wiring and they even made a phone calls from thems devices from my line!! and even after all i was pushed to the corner with no answer.

That's again and unfortunately, usual business. It will all depend if you are on a Line Sharing exchange or Eircom Bitstream exchange.

If it is Line sharing well Magnet should be able to see if its correctly jumpered and if it is then that's as far as they can go as it will depent on Eircom's PSTN to deliver the service although chances are slim as their line test can spot any issues in the line.

If its Bitstream then bad luck. They can't see anything at all so they will depend on Eircom to jumper and to all checks. If it is bitstream then, next time the Eircom technician is around ask him why, if the line is jumpered at the exchange (tht's someone only eircom can do) and everything is ok with the lline (Eircoms telephone line) why is it not working?

Are you sure they are not telling you everything is ok and then clearing the fault as internal wiring issue? they tend to do this a lot

PS: I just read that part where Eircom made phone calls to show you that the line is ok... typical auld Eircom trick, showing you the telephone line works so you will think that the problem is elsewhere... dont be fooled! At this point I dont know if its just Eircom playing with you or Magnet are also hidding something...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

holy crap why are you still bothering with magnet?

when i was with magnet before the line went down i was getting 8mb/s max stability... since magnet failed to resolve my line issue and eircom did i just went with eircom cos there was noone else... with eircom im stable at 12mb/s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Couple of things...

1. Magnet or any other provider can't fix phone lines. They rent the Eircom lines and rely on Eircom to install or maintain them. Magnet would have been onto Eircom for 6 weeks looking for updates but it should never take that long. How come Eircom fixed the fault then in 4 days when they thought they were working with an Eircom customer. Comreg should be informed.

2. Showing the line working as in making calls has no relevance to whether the broadband is working. Is there any DSL light on the modem?. If not its not jumpered at the exchange, again something Magnet rely on (and pay for) Eircom to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 102091101

I've been attempting to get magnet since the 12th of March.( Unfortunately, because UPC apparently is refusing to wire any apartments in my block because it is pre-wired for sky - legal?)
    It should have been a very simple switch on as the previous tenant had magnet.... Unfortunately, I underestimated their incompetence! No-one even bothers to reply to my repeated calls and emails looking for an update or a timeline for the issue. Its a farce.

That's again and unfortunately, usual business. It will all depend if you are on a Line Sharing exchange or Eircom Bitstream exchange.

If it is Line sharing well Magnet should be able to see if its correctly jumpered and if it is then that's as far as they can go as it will depent on Eircom's PSTN to deliver the service although chances are slim as their line test can spot any issues in the line.

If its Bitstream then bad luck. They can't see anything at all so they will depend on Eircom to jumper and to all checks. If it is bitstream then, next time the Eircom technician is around ask him why, if the line is jumpered at the exchange (tht's someone only eircom can do) and everything is ok with the lline (Eircoms telephone line) why is it not working?

Are you sure they are not telling you everything is ok and then clearing the fault as internal wiring issue? they tend to do this a lot

PS: I just read that part where Eircom made phone calls to show you that the line is ok... typical auld Eircom trick, showing you the telephone line works so you will think that the problem is elsewhere... dont be fooled! At this point I dont know if its just Eircom playing with you or Magnet are also hidding something...

they made aphone calls from my line in front of me to my mobile phone, they have tested the wirring from my house all the way to exhange with results - saying me that i hsould get at least solid 22mb/s - i am based around 400m from exchange.

holy crap why are you still bothering with magnet?

when i was with magnet before the line went down i was getting 8mb/s max stability... since magnet failed to resolve my line issue and eircom did i just went with eircom cos there was noone else... with eircom im stable at 12mb/s.

thats wrong!! thats what iam against. there should be a choice for us a s customers! not only eircom!! and 65e a month against 40e .... hm let me think twice.. no thanks

Couple of things...

1. Magnet or any other provider can't fix phone lines. They rent the Eircom lines and rely on Eircom to install or maintain them. Magnet would have been onto Eircom for 6 weeks looking for updates but it should never take that long. How come Eircom fixed the fault then in 4 days when they thought they were working with an Eircom customer. Comreg should be informed.

2. Showing the line working as in making calls has no relevance to whether the broadband is working. Is there any DSL light on the modem?. If not its not jumpered at the exchange, again something Magnet rely on (and pay for) Eircom to do.

1. yeh i know about it and i recieved email from Eircom that i am unable ever get a phone line installed. through magnet. after i placed order with them they fixed the line in less then 24H ---> YES LESS THEN 24h so they wanna keep me as customer.. but once again 65e against 40e

2. comreg called me back and they are working on it! they said they can only push the things a bit but because i am bnot paying for service to anyone the things can go slower as expected.

102091101 wrote: »
    I've been attempting to get magnet since the 12th of March.( Unfortunately, because UPC apparently is refusing to wire any apartments in my block because it is pre-wired for sky - legal?)
    It should have been a very simple switch on as the previous tenant had magnet.... Unfortunately, I underestimated their incompetence! No-one even bothers to reply to my repeated calls and emails looking for an update or a timeline for the issue. Its a farce.

welcome to the bussiness.

Just to make things clear!

i wanna stay with magnet for this reasons;

1. unllimited download - no hidden fair usage
    2. i was with them for over an year before - no issue whatsoever
    3. first month free and 39.99e rate - all included

that is unbeatable - i just wanna give them shot! because Eircom is thinking that i will end up with them - because they are the ones that are leading - or saying me what to do in manner that i wont understand by holding me offline and not offering Magnet support that they should.

• Advertisement

they made aphone calls from my line in front of me to my mobile phone, they have tested the wirring from my house all the way to exhange with results - saying me that i hsould get at least solid 22mb/s - i am based around 400m from exchange.

There is something going on alright... dont wanna say anymore as it could confuse things but I havent seen anything like this for a long time.

You gotta be on a bitstream exchange otherwise I dont get it...

I hate it when Eircom keep playing games

There is something going on alright... dont wanna say anymore as it could confuse things but I havent seen anything like this for a long time.

You gotta be on a bitstream exchange otherwise I dont get it...

I hate it when Eircom keep playing games

forgive me mate but can you explain me what a bitstream exchange mean exactly? if you dont mind.

btw i was given 72h dead line. my guess will be 10 working days with final result no BB support.

my exchange was fully upgraded to NGB already. confirmed by eircom representative + magnet tech support.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Just to make things clear!

i wanna stay with magnet for this reasons;

1. unllimited download - no hidden fair usage
    2. i was with them for over an year before - no issue whatsoever
    3. first month free and 39.99e rate - all included

that is unbeatable - i just wanna give them shot! because Eircom is thinking that i will end up with them - because they are the ones that are leading - or saying me what to do in manner that i wont understand by holding me offline and not offering Magnet support that they should.

Also unlimited downloads and 38 euro a month:

http://www.homevision.ie/bundles1.aspx?cat=2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

However, if you read the FAQ:
    How much is my monthly download limit?
    Your download limit is 20 Gigabytes (GB) per month with the 1Mb per second broadband package.
    Your download limit is 30 Gigabytes (GB) per month with the 3Mb per second broadband package
    Your download limit is 50 Gigabytes (GB) per month with the 7Mb per second broadband package
    Your download limit is 50 Gigabytes (GB) per month with the 10Mb per second broadband package
    Your download limit is 60 Gigabytes (GB) per month with the 20Mb per second broadband package
    You can add additional 10GB download per month for a standard charge of €2 per month
    How much is a 50 GB and 30 GB download limit?
    The monthly download limit refers to how much information can be downloaded from the Internet per month. A 50 GB download limit is the equivalent of the following depending on how you want to use the Internet:

Up to 15,000 songs or
    140 TV programmes or
    30 movies or
    400,000 web pages per month
    How much will I pay if I exceed my download limit?
    If you manage to exceed HomeVision’s download limits there will be a charge 3.5c per megabit of data downloaded. HomeVision will also send a warning letter to you and reserves right to suspend your broadband service if you are judged to be abusing the download limit.

Hmmm..I wonder..

forgive me mate but can you explain me what a bitstream exchange mean exactly? if you dont mind.

btw i was given 72h dead line. my guess will be 10 working days with final result no BB support.

my exchange was fully upgraded to NGB already. confirmed by eircom representative + magnet tech support.

Eircom Wholesale offer to type of DSL (well more or less) to their resellers Bitstream and Line Sharing.

Bitstream is when Eircom have full control over their equipment and they are the only ones who can diagnose, modify and fix things (Resellers can run a DMM tests on the line but that's just to check the PSTN side of it). So in cases like this magnet is just renting Eircoms equipment, they have no control over it whatsoever, they cant even see if the line is properly jumpered to the DSLAM. When you place a bitstream order you have no idea if the order has been properly terminated/completed... you just have to trust eircom.

Little drawing here

Customer -- NTU ---- copper---- Eircom Exchange --- Eircom DSLAM --- eircom network --- Eircom BRAS --- Magnet BRAS - Internet

*in bold is what Eircom is reponsible for, rest is magnets responsiblity

Line Sharing, is similar enough, Magnet still rents the PSTN from Eircom but now they are allow to put their own equipment in the exchange, also, they not only control the customer's DSL configuration but also the connection between the DSLAM and their core network, see below

Customer - NTU---copper ---- Eircom Exchange -- Magnet DSLAM -- Magnet network - Magnet BRAS - Internet

*in bold is what Eircom is reponsible for, rest is magnets responsibility

so here things are better, in cases like not only magnet can now control the DSL configuration (profile speed, etc) but also manage the network to, for example, avoid congestion and also, they can see if eircom have completed and order and jumper the line properly. If not, then they can tell the engineer to go to the exchange and jumper the customer to their block while they cant do this with bitstream.

Its a bit more complicated than this but I hope this clears it out, maybe...

hm nice catch there but i am sure i would have to go again the same way --> trough Eircom - i mean this company is also only reseling line in my area i guess.

Eircom Wholesale offer to type of DSL (well more or less) to their resellers Bitstream and Line Sharing.

Bitstream is when Eircom have full control over their equipment and they are the only ones who can diagnose, modify and fix things (Resellers can run a DMM tests on the line but that's just to check the PSTN side of it). So in cases like this magnet is just renting Eircoms equipment, they have no control over it whatsoever, they cant even see if the line is properly jumpered to the DSLAM. When you place a bitstream order you have no idea if the order has been properly terminated/completed... you just have to trust eircom.

Little drawing here

Customer -- NTU ---- copper---- Eircom Exchange --- Eircom DSLAM --- eircom network --- Eircom BRAS --- Magnet BRAS - Internet

*in bold is what Eircom is reponsible for, rest is magnets responsiblity

Line Sharing, is similar enough, Magnet still rents the PSTN from Eircom but now they are allow to put their own equipment in the exchange, also, they not only control the customer's DSL configuration but also the connection between the DSLAM and their core network, see below

Customer - NTU---copper ---- Eircom Exchange -- Magnet DSLAM -- Magnet network - Magnet BRAS - Internet

*in bold is what Eircom is reponsible for, rest is magnets responsibility

so here things are better, in cases like not only magnet can now control the DSL configuration (profile speed, etc) but also manage the network to, for example, avoid congestion and also, they can see if eircom have completed and order and jumper the line properly. If not, then they can tell the engineer to go to the exchange and jumper the customer to their block while they cant do this with bitstream.

Its a bit more complicated than this but I hope this clears it out, maybe...

oh yeh i got it now... my case is the firstone i am afraid.

no magnet equip on the local exchange. no control at all. all serviced and controled by Eircom. :( but i am not gonna go with them - i mean with EIrcom. i will rather start digging a hole for optic cable for UPC all the way from Dublin.

Finally i was on the phone with MAGNET's high positioned Manager and i was promised solution within next few days with 100% fix and working BB. NO hassle he said, he is a big fish ---> this time. I knew it by the way he was speaking and the way he was clearing things out. I am only hoping thats gonna really happend and i can be only happy...

so fingers crossed for miracle and BB. hopefully i can come back again to normal life of technology and Android world by end of the next week. as i am unable to do anything at this stage. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 28 102091101

3 weeks and counting for connection (no dsl light). Should I cut my losses and call eircom/vodafone?

102091101 wrote: »
    3 weeks and counting for connection (no dsl light). Should I cut my losses and call eircom/vodafone?

FINALY believe or not - this is my lowest result i got so far!!

1872403489.png

I AM ONLINE from yesterday evening - after major fix!!!! - i was running 100+ tests just because i coudllnt believe i have internet again!! ---> THANKS GOD AND after speaking to the right people things move on quickly and i am now on 15+mb/s speed with pings around 10-30ms what else do i need...!!

thanks to all involved !! ( Neil, Phil, James..)

mate for your issue. dont cancel - keep calling them and pushing them. send PM to magnet representative here with your details!! dont give up!!

so for all of you out there! Fight, and dont let them BE!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Jesus that was some saga.

:D @ the elation you feel when its finally sorted. So much porn, so little time!!

Advertisement