Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australian Resume

Options
  • 27-01-2012 4:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭

Would anyone know where I could find a good example of a australian resume for shopwork & barwork, My irish one just doesnt seem to be cutting it over here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

don't take this the wrong way, but are you sure it's your CV? or even you?

depending on what you read in the media, there's rising unemployment in retail, and an apparent lack of willing workers in hospitality. If you choose to believe both points, it could be assumed people who cannot find work in retail, are taking available jobs in hospitality. None of this considers where in the country you actually are either, and also assumes i'm only speaking about australians, not migrants or people on temporary holiday visas. I think you need to consider the wider picture at the moment. Also, I personally don't believe there's such a thing as an australian CV that is significantly different from an irish CV. You should put your best foot forward in that regard, no matter what country you're in. Sorry to be a buzz kill, but it sounds like you need a reality check. I would suggest looking over at the work & jobs forum for CV tips. Hope you find something soon.

http://www.smh.com.au/business/young-workers-hit-by-rising-unemployment-20120124-1qevx.html
    http://www.news.com.au/business/gripped-by-recession-fears-as-jobs-decline/story-e6frfm1i-1226248897891
    http://www.theage.com.au/business/job-openings-aplenty-in-the-outback-20120125-1qh5g.html
    http://www.news.com.au/business/work-longer-to-keep-job/story-e6frfm1i-1226248963521
    http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/restaurants-and-bars/importing-people-to-pour-beers-20120125-1qhqk.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Eh ok but of a letdown, Im working in construction but I would rather work in a shop thought with 8 years experience it would be easier, Im in sydney so thought it had to be my cv

astonaidan wrote: »
    Eh ok but of a letdown, ... thought it had to be my cv
    Well, that's only my opinion :confused:, and I don't work in the industry at all, so maybe someone else can give you a better qualified answer. The things i read are, i feel, backed up by the never ending sales I see every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭seipeal1

I disagree with the comments above. A charming irish personality and gift of the gab does not get you to the interview stage. A good cv does. When jobs get tighter as things slow done, a good and professionally drawn up resume becomes even more important to ensure you shine out from the mass of resumes your prospective employer will look at. And there are big differences between irish and australian perspectives on resumes. Irish ones tend to be maximum 2 pages with Australian ones at least 2 pages. Focus on experience. Detail key roles and responsibilities. Highlight achievements.
    Let how brilliant your background is flow from the pages. Keep personal details and interests to a minimum. Do not, under any circumstances, concoct elaborate covers, bindings or decorations to enhance your resume.
    If you feel you cannot do this yourself, get your resume professionally drafted for a fee.
    As someone who recruits quiet a lot, a professionall drafted resume is vitally important to get you to the interview door. From that point, its up to you.
    Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

Yes, the Australians have a different expectation when it comes to CVs. My boss told me that they thought my CV was very short; they expect 3 or 4 page CVs with detail about every little thing you've done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

mobius42 wrote: »
    Yes, the Australians have a different expectation when it comes to CVs. My boss told me that they thought my CV was very short; they expect 3 or 4 page CVs with detail about every little thing you've done.

Yeah everything you have done Professionally, don't be putting down stuff like hobbies or pastimes or any other crap. Nothing as bad as reading through 4 pages of rubbish and having to file it in the round filing cabinet, thats 4 minutes of the readers life they wont be getting back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

Do you include your visa type and if so where? Say for example you're on a whv but open for sponsorship would you put that on the cover letter where they'll see if first and decide whether to take your cv seriously or would you put it at the end of your cv after they've made up their mind about you?

seipeal1 wrote: »
    Irish ones tend to be maximum 2 pages with Australian ones at least 2 pages..
    ok, well judging from this and the rest of the comments, I guess i've never had a standard irish cv. Which would explain why i never had trouble getting interviews or work in ireland or australia. My bad OP! I stand by my other comments though.

Advertisement