Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Farming Jobs

Options
  • 27-01-2012 6:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

Hi All, looking into starting farming at the end of June, just wondering what people's experiences have been? I have heard some serious horror stories and starting to think I should take the sponsorship being offered to me in my current job rather than do the farming. I don't really want to do this as it's not a job I want to keep doing for a couple of years to get PR. Was hoping to do the 3 months and then have the 2nd year to try for sponsorship somewhere else.
    So essentially just wondering if anybody has had good experiences doing the farming, if so what were you doing and where?

Apologies if there's already a thread on this, looked around but couldn't see one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 GummyBears

Hey Gossipgal. I too am in the same boat - looking to go farming in march or so before the winter but it's very difficult to get info on the best places and pay rates for specific crops etc. Boards unfortunately does not offer much!Feel a bit lost about it.

The harvest trail guide is a good guide showing peak times for specific crops. It's very long though. You can download the guide on this page http://jobsearch.gov.au/harvesttrail/default.aspx.

If there's a chance you can get sponsored then I really would pursue that first! I know I would! However, I tend to disregard the horror stories - it's tough work for sure but plenty have done it and come out the other side!June is obvioulsy middle of winter so might not be the optimum time to go, having had a glance at the guide briefly.
    Sorry not to be more help!

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

Gossipgal wrote: »
    Hi All, looking into starting farming at the end of June, just wondering what people's experiences have been? I have heard some serious horror stories and starting to think I should take the sponsorship being offered to me in my current job rather than do the farming. I don't really want to do this as it's not a job I want to keep doing for a couple of years to get PR. Was hoping to do the 3 months and then have the 2nd year to try for sponsorship somewhere else.
    So essentially just wondering if anybody has had good experiences doing the farming, if so what were you doing and where?

Apologies if there's already a thread on this, looked around but couldn't see one.

Try and go for things which are easy to pick - i.e. fruit. Don't go for things that are stuck in the ground i.e. potatoes!

Stay away from Mango picking - type 'mango rash' into google images!

And I believe its a good idea to try and look for an hourly wage as opposed to be being paid per volume of fruit/veg you pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

Try and go for things which are easy to pick - i.e. fruit. Don't go for things that are stuck in the ground i.e. potatoes!

Stay away from Mango picking - type 'mango rash' into google images!

And I believe its a good idea to try and look for an hourly wage as opposed to be being paid per volume of fruit/veg you pick.

Potato picking is one of the easiest, just picking bad spuds off the back of the harvester. I'm starting at that in a fortnight in Tassie. Good money but very long hours. Unfortunately we arrived early so we have no work till we start as there is absolutely nothing going on in North Tasmania.

I was offeed sponsorship too but the company I would've had to stay with pay a lot less than bar work back in Melbourne. Markymark is definitely right about the hourly wage though.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

Potato picking is one of the easiest, just picking bad spuds off the back of the harvester. I'm starting at that in a fortnight in Tassie. Good money but very long hours. Unfortunately we arrived early so we have no work till we start as there is absolutely nothing going on in North Tasmania.

I was offeed sponsorship too but the company I would've had to stay with pay a lot less than bar work back in Melbourne. Markymark is definitely right about the hourly wage though.

What's good money for farming, around $20 per hour? Your right about northern Taz. We spend two days in Launceston last week.. bit of a ghost town. Hobart down the south has a bit more action anyway..

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Gossipgal

Yeah I've heard that orange packing is a good number, monotonous work but it's indoors and you don't break your back.

Jim the Mental - yeah it's a hard enough decision to make but def veering towards the sponsorship. Correct me if I'm wrong but your pay should be decent on sponsorship as there's minimum rates for all skill levels. They want to make sure companies aren't hiring foreigners on cheaper rates than australians and so driving wages down.

• Advertisement
Advertisement